Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We travel frequently with our dog - and I used to own a website that specialized in pet friendly travel (I sold it).

Ten years ago, we had preferences that put Motel 6 at the top of the list. They were always the cheapest, and nearly always reliably clean. About 5 years ago, our list altered and has remained this way:

#1. La Quinta
#2 Red Roof Inns
#3 Research the heck out of it to find a budget pet friendly motel and consider paying an extra fee for the dog (which really pisses me off on principle alone)
#4 Motel 6

If there is a La Quinta location that is convenient, I barely even research them anymore - with or without dog. They are incredibly reliable for a budget priced hotel. (One exception in Northern Phoenix, and yes, I've complained to corporate.)
The last Motel 6 I stayed in was in downtown Phoenix, a few years ago. It was pretty plain, the internet didn't work and the hookers were walking the parking lot. I didn't feel comfortable and a friend stayed with me. Other times I'd stayed at those more outside of the downtown and they tend to be better and have less undesirables in the parkinglot.

As a single woman checking in, I had to give them a picture of my ID too, and did not like that at all.

Other stops at my visit we stayed at Super 8 or one of the other less expensive chains, and it was a world of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The last Motel 6 I stayed in was in downtown Phoenix, a few years ago. It was pretty plain, the internet didn't work and the hookers were walking the parking lot. I didn't feel comfortable and a friend stayed with me. Other times I'd stayed at those more outside of the downtown and they tend to be better and have less undesirables in the parkinglot.

As a single woman checking in, I had to give them a picture of my ID too, and did not like that at all.

Other stops at my visit we stayed at Super 8 or one of the other less expensive chains, and it was a world of difference.
ugh. I wouldn't have liked the photo id thing either - but if it's the location that I think it is, I can understand why they are doing it. BAD neighborhood.

Just a clarification: Super 8 is (generally speaking) better than Motel 6; however, they are not 100% pet friendly. And will charge an additional non-refundable pet free. For that reason, I still look to LQ and RR, even when I don't have my pet.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I travel frequently and have no problems staying in a motel 6,never had a bad experience with that particular chain., i dont actually seek them out as when i exit the interstate theres usually a bunch of motel/hotels,which ever one is closest to the restaurant i want to have supper in usually gets my business,sometimes its a Motel 6.
The only chain motel/hotel i'll absolutely refuse to stay at is any Knights Inn, filthy dumps.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:09 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
I will never know. My last three or four stays were so bad that I have never really wanted to try them again.

Generally, I can get a 2.5-3.5* hotel at Priceline/Hotwire at the same price as a Motel 6.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
I will be driving from Oregon to Wisconsin with my cat soon. I will need to stay at pet-free motels, which means La Quinta Inn or Motel 6. Of course, I will always search out the La Quinta Inn first.

If the need arises for a Motel 6, are they as run-down and seedy as they were 10, 20 years ago? I have heard they recently were "upgraded", but it has been so very long since I last stayed at one.

Are they decent now? I imagine I'd be staying in Wyoming or South Dakota, so it's not like it would be in a seedy section of town in a large, squalor infested city.

Thanks in advance!
I've stayed in Motel 6 (in Wyoming coincidentally) two times in the last eight years. The one in Casper (which you won't pass through on your way to Wisconsin) is the most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in. The rooms had tobacco spit and mucus on the walls and I was honestly afraid to sleep in the bed as I figured I would get lice. The one in Evanston has very few amenities but was good enough for a bed, toilet, sink, and a shower.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
I've seen a lot of decrepit old Holiday Inns turned to Days Inns turned to Motel 6 if that gives any indication.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I travel frequently and have no problems staying in a motel 6,never had a bad experience with that particular chain., i dont actually seek them out as when i exit the interstate theres usually a bunch of motel/hotels,which ever one is closest to the restaurant i want to have supper in usually gets my business,sometimes its a Motel 6.
The only chain motel/hotel i'll absolutely refuse to stay at is any Knights Inn, filthy dumps.
Agree on Knights Inn, Red Carpet Inn is equally bad. I interviewed for a job and during the interview they told me the acceptable motels for business travel were Knights Inn, Motel 6, Red Roof Inn, Econolodge, and Red Carpet Inn. I got up and walked out.

Generally speaking I'm happy with a Hampton, Hyatt Place, or Holiday Inn Express. I feel they are a fair compromise that provides comfort, select services, and safety while still being reasonable in price.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:42 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
I think the big difference in the newer up scaled Motel 6's is that the fleas, lice, and bedbugs now have to wear tuxedos.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agree on Knights Inn, Red Carpet Inn is equally bad. I interviewed for a job and during the interview they told me the acceptable motels for business travel were Knights Inn, Motel 6, Red Roof Inn, Econolodge, and Red Carpet Inn. I got up and walked out.

Generally speaking I'm happy with a Hampton, Hyatt Place, or Holiday Inn Express. I feel they are a fair compromise that provides comfort, select services, and safety while still being reasonable in price.
I think I would have walked out too.

We've had really good luck with the other three you mention. I travel with my husband on his "circuit" and I've noticed that there seems to be very little turnover on the staff at the Hamptons we stayed at - the employees seem happy and are always very helpful.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,887 times
Quote:
Agree on Knights Inn, Red Carpet Inn is equally bad.
Unfortunately, I am finding that more and more Days Inn properties are giving these Knights Inn type of dumps a run for their money. The Days Inn chain has a healthy number of aging, run downed properties in their portfolio as well.

By the way, you would have to pay me (literally) to stay at a Red Carpet Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel