Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:33 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

I haven't taken an international fight for a few years, but the last 3 international flights were all in Business Class, and I didn't have to pay for the upgrades. I was able to..."con"...Air France, British Airways, and KLM into those upgrades and I discovered that Business Class is such a glorious experience--as compared to today's cattle car conditions in Coach Class--that I now willingly pay for the upgrade.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:38 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
I would never pay for first class on a domestic flight. I'd be in it for the lie flat bed on an ultra long haul, but I'll also never have $20,000 (per person) to burn on something so frivolous.

I do hope that one day I get an upgrade to business (for that lie flat bed).

Old 06-12-2015, 07:08 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Since my primary flying tends to be overseas for my vacations, I've become accustomed to paying an avg of $1500 for a r/t ticket. I'm considering biting the bullet and paying only $1,068 for a first class non-stop from Detroit to LA on my next trip out there, instead of the $450 in economy. It's a 4.5 hour flight and if I can treat myself to first class seats on the longest continental US flight I'll have for my purposes, I think it's a good investment. I have travelled first class in the past, in the 90s, twice, so I'm up for an upgrade on at least one route I'll be using regularly.

How often do you fly first class?
Never but I did get bumped to first class on a 747 back in maybe 1970 when I was 16. I guess I enjoyed it but at that age would not have cared. I believe we had an upstairs lounge that was only available to first class

Anecdotal first class story. I don't know if anyone is interested but my son was flying standby and he is in the army. A lady overheard him him talking at the counter and gave him her first class seats. he tried to decline but she would not hear of it.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I would never pay for first class on a domestic flight. I'd be in it for the lie flat bed on an ultra long haul, but I'll also never have $20,000 (per person) to burn on something so frivolous.

No reason to spend $20K. Use miles or look for fare sales. We often book economy with cash and then pay to upgrade with miles.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Thumbs up When you're on a plane for nearly 12 hours, first class is worth the price

Quote:
I would never pay for first class on a domestic flight.
I've cashed in miles to get an upgrade on a cross-continental flight, but it's barely worth it for Boston-LAX. Domestic first class is pitiful compared to international first. Even on a domestic 3-class plane, First is barely even comparable to international business.

Being able to actually sleep on the plane on a long overnight flight and actually wake up somewhat refreshed (or at least not stiff and groggy) at my destination is worth the price.

Quote:
I'd be in it for the lie flat bed on an ultra long haul, but I'll also never have $20,000 (per person) to burn on something so frivolous.

I've flown the Singapore air 1st class suites on the Airbus 380-800, Business Class on the Korean Air 380-800, as well as business class on an Asiana 777.

Not one of these flights, not even Seoul to LAX, cost more than $2K. Well worth paying double the coach price for an 11+ hour flight.

Here's the business class "Celestial Lounge" on the Korean Air Airbus 380, sponsored by Absolut Vodka:

Open bar, any cocktail you'd like as long as it's made with Absolut Vodka.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
I would never pay for first class on a domestic flight.
Agreed. US Domestic first class is a joke and not worth it.

Come to think of it, even international business and first class by any US airlines are a big joke! I would take it if it were a free upgrade, but no way would I pay for something that's way, way, inferior compared to other airlines for the same price.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:12 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I've flown the Singapore air 1st class suites on the Airbus 380-800, Business Class on the Korean Air 380-800, as well as business class on an Asiana 777.

Not one of these flights, not even Seoul to LAX, cost more than $2K. Well worth paying double the coach price for an 11+ hour flight.
You must get lucky, or you're flying from the west coast. There's no way Singapore Airlines would offer less than 2K for their Business Class from US East Coast, let alone their First Class Suite. No freaking way.

For Asiana, Korean, or JAL, EVA Air, yes on occasions.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Once, on Braniff and I didn't pay extra. They seated me with a seven year -old boy. I'd never pay for it.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You must get lucky, or you're flying from the west coast. There's no way Singapore Airlines would offer less than 2K for their Business Class from US East Coast, let alone their First Class Suite. No freaking way. For Asiana, Korean, or JAL, EVA Air, yes on occasions.
Correct -- I always book my own domestic flight to LAX or SFO on a partner airline (so I can use their lounge on US segments), switch airlines on the west coast.

Very few of these airlines fly direct from the East coast; my longest single segment was ~13 hours.

Locked in a flying tube for half a day, a fully-flat seat and room to stretch, room to roam or just hang out in the "Celestial lounge" (with a tray of snacks and an attentive bartendress), was well worth the premium, as was having lounge access at each end of the flight, complete with shower.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-12-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 01:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Come to think of it, even international business and first class by any US airlines are a big joke! I would take it if it were a free upgrade, but no way would I pay for something that's way, way, inferior compared to other airlines for the same price.
Not true at all. I've flown AA first class to India, Frankfurt and London on 777s. It's right up there with the other airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel