Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip in the Fall to Amsterdam and Stockholm. Going by myself as a single guy, which is a little stressful since I'm not an extrovert. Anyone ever been to either city? Any suggestions for must do activities? I have some time to plan and want to make sure I know what I'm doing when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm planning a trip in the Fall to Amsterdam and Stockholm. Going by myself as a single guy, which is a little stressful since I'm not an extrovert. Anyone ever been to either city? Any suggestions for must do activities? I have some time to plan and want to make sure I know what I'm doing when I get there.
I can't speak to Stockholm, but I'm sure someone else here will do that.

With respect to Amsterdam consider the following:

1. Tour the Anne Frank House. Its amazing the lengths that Otto Frank went through to find a safe place for his family and some friends to hide. It almost worked too. It was only discovered near the end of the war.

2. The Van Gogh Museum. Vincent Van Gogh was one of the more interesting artists that ever lived. He died before he sold a single painting and regarded himself as a failure. See his Impressionist art.

3. The Rijks Museum. A museum full of traditional and famous Dutch art. Think Rembrandt.

4. Canal Boat Cruise. This will be obvious to you once you see just how much of Amsterdam is a series of canals.

5. Just go walking through the alleys and streets that make up Amsterdam. Just seeing all these shops and people walking around is a treat in and of itself.

6. Consider taking a day trip into the countryside. The ones that are really worthwhile take you to see the windmills, the fishing villages, and the farms.

Here are some other options: If you like bike riding, there is no place in the world better suited for than Amsterdam. Its easy to rent a bike to get around. However, the public transit is easy to use too. Amsterdam is a city that you never need a taxi if you will show the slightest bit of ingenuity. If you want to try totally legal marijuana and hash, than look for a sign that says "Kaffeehaus". Don't worry about language issues. English is commonly spoken in the Netherlands--along with other foreign languages. The Dutch are among some of the most friendly, accommodating, and nice people I have met during four trips to Europe.

Amsterdam was a city I truly enjoyed. We spent three days there.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:25 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If you want to try totally legal marijuana and hash, than look for a sign that says "Kaffeehaus".
Those establishments where you can buy cannabis products are usually referred to by their English names ("coffeeshop"). You might see some signs reading "koffieshop", but that's rather rare. A little research on where to find the "best" shop does pay off since most of them are aimed towards weed tourists and are pretty horrible. We once wen't to a place called Barney's. Quite nice.

Kaffeehaus is the German word for a place that actually sells coffee

Old 04-07-2016, 06:16 AM

502 posts, read 655,295 times
one must do activity, for both cities and virtually for any other place you want to go... get a guide book, read it, and select the activities that match your interests.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
I would recommend taking a free walking tour in Amsterdam, we used New Amsterdam Tours. The tour will give you a good overview of the city and will give you some ideas of what to explore while you are there. The tour is also a good way to meet some new people since at the start you tell your name a where you're from so you'll likely find a person or two right away that you'll have enough in common with and you'll chat for a while during the tour.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:23 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I've been to Amsterdam and loved it. But I like to do all the tourist things: the museums, the outdoor markets, the gakking at the buildings and scenery.

I found the food to be very good and people to be pleasant. The chocolates are outstanding, but very expensive.

Most cities have bad areas, but I never left the city core that is set up to make a trip enjoyable for the tourists. I suppose you have to take some care about where you wander.

I don't know anything about Stockholm.

In the tourist areas, enough people will speak a sort of freshman high school English, so if you are pleasant and patient, with a bit of sign language and some smiles, you will be able to communicate. I suggest a tourist dictionary to translate menu items for you so you know what you are ordering. Other than that, I never suffered from any language barrier that couldn't be overcome.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
you mean in the tourist areas of A'dam or Stockholm ?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In the tourist areas, enough people will speak a sort of freshman high school English, so if you are pleasant and patient, with a bit of sign language and some smiles, you will be able to communicate. I suggest a tourist dictionary to translate menu items for you so you know what you are ordering. Other than that, I never suffered from any language barrier that couldn't be overcome.
Oh hell, I travel to NL like I cross the street. In NL most residents speak better English then most American's. No sign language needed. I was in an ethnic resteraunt there where the owners and waiters only spoke there ethnic language (Turkish I think) and English. No Dutch.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Stockholm is a beautiful and user-friendly city but it's been 20 years and I don' t recall details. There are tourist bureaus in the train stations where you can book a place to stay. Most guest houses include breakfast. DON'T EAT IN THE RESTAURANTS! They are horribly expensive and not particularly good. (Bill Bryson describes restaurant prices in Sweden as "heartbreaking'. There are lots of kabob wagons where the Swedes eat. Reasonably. You will love Stockholm. Have a great trip!.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:53 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have jumped the gun and reserved a place to stay in Amsterdam BEFORE booking my flight. Big mistake, as I'll lose half of my deposit if I don't go. The problem is I'm trying to use airmiles for this trip and coming back from Sweden isn't working out to well. Not sure what I'm going to do now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel