Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:01 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times

Advertisements

I will be spending Thanksgiving day on Fort Lauderdale beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:14 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I'm staying home, but if there is a sale of airfare, it normally isn't from every location to any location of your choice. What airports can you fly to that are on sale, leaving from your home town?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 PM

714 posts, read 748,308 times
The last couple years I've gone back home to see family, but I've decided to axe winter travel from now on as it's always a waste of $ to travel somewhere with cold weather. It just ends up being a bad, depressing trip that sets me back financially. I'd rather make 3 trips home in the summer because those are at least enjoyable.

Another big factor is that it's a good weekend for college football and basketball. I'd prefer to stay home.

Mom is trying to get me home for Christmas as I've missed the last 3, but I'm working on delaying that trip until spring.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:02 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Not going anyplace. I'll cook a nice meal for myself, and if the weather is good, I'll work in the garden afterwards. I love being outdoors in the Fall!

Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
No plans. It's just a Thursday off from work for me. If you do travel that weekend, it is best to fly on Thursday and come back Saturday or Monday. Avoid flying on the Wednesday and coming back on the Sunday. Those are the busiest travel days...of the year, I think!
These days, that's kind of not true. Most flights go out very close to 100% full every day of the year. It's been a long time since I've been on a flight that had more than a few empty seats. It's not like the airlines have extra jets sitting around doing nothing they press into service on Thanksgiving Wednesday. The real difference is that it's amateur hour where the business travelers aren't flying. Every 2nd person has a water bottle in their carry-on bag. Nobody knows how to board a plane, quickly stuff their roll-aboard in the overhead, and get out of the aisle. I'm not flying during that period but with TSA Pre, I'd be insulated from the worst of it. It's mostly that flights run late because all the infrequent flyers screw everything up.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:57 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,644,023 times
We are going to Vegas to join my daughter and her fiance for a family weekend - I haven't seen her since January and I'm really excited (not too keen on Vegas though but that's where they are going to be for the weekend). My husband and daughter want to gamble, but believe it or not, I've never gambled and never been to Vegas before.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:34 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,797,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
We are going to Vegas to join my daughter and her fiance for a family weekend - I haven't seen her since January and I'm really excited (not too keen on Vegas though but that's where they are going to be for the weekend). My husband and daughter want to gamble, but believe it or not, I've never gambled and never been to Vegas before.
There is so much more to Las Vegas than gambling. Whatever you like to do, you can do in Las Vegas and usually on a grander scale. There are ton on entertainment, food, and activity options that the only people that don't have a good time are ones that are purposefully trying to have a bad time. I've found that on my last few trips out there that I spend so much time doing other things (mostly shopping and eating) that I barely find time to gamble, and I like gambling.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Just saw a Thanksgiving sale on Southwest so thought I might visit somewhere I've never been. Not planning on going home for Thanksgiving since I'll be there for Christmas. Where would be a good city for a single person with no plans on Thanksgiving? Thinking of New Orleans but not sure what the weather will be like around that time.
Weather should be fine in New Orleans. I'm about 2.5 hrs northwest of NOLA, and it's been pretty much tee shirt weather on Thanksgiving where I am for the 15 years I've been here.

For me, we had talked about going out to an undetermined restaurant for dinner on Thanksgiving. But I really love to cook the whole turkey/stuffing/appetizers/pies thing.

So I don't know yet what our plans are.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:17 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
Hopefully nowhere. Flying and driving are both painful.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 PM

509 posts, read 555,229 times
We go out to a restaurant. No more cooking all day or hanging out with family for us!

Not sure where to this year. Maybe Morton's or possibly just a buffet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel