Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:44 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Got cold feet a day or two before going to Peru, and even the night that I was in Peru I was still regretting the decision, I was sitting there in the hotel thinking about how I'm gonna go outside and get robbed/kidnapped/etc. But then I left the hotel the next day, saw people walking around chatting on cellphones and wearing expensive jewelry, and I realized that Latin America is not really how the media portrays it to be
What part of Peru did you visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I almost did with Italy last year, this is why I booked using free reward points, just in case I wanted to back out last minute. But I went and had the best time.
Come to think about it, every time I book crappy hotels, I tend to have the best time. Who knew?
I do think that low expectations=a better time, every time!

Old 12-20-2016, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I had an employee who made big plans for annual vacations. He would talk about it for weeks and collect information. On the day they were to start they slept late and missed the plane. So, instead of catching the next flight they sat home for two weeks. This happened a couple times over five years. I think his wife just got too anxious and wouldn't go. It wasn't anyplace exotic and always in the US (Smoky Mtns and CA}. He would come back to work and we would eagerly ask how the trip went..."Oh, we didn't go" was all he said. Some people are very anxious about travel.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:29 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Well, I'm going to South Africa next February and anxiety starts to build up because I follow the news from over there and security is not tops right now, to say the least...as I was mugged in San José (CR) the last time I made an intercontinental vacation, I am very much aware of the risks involved in such countries.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I had an employee who made big plans for annual vacations. He would talk about it for weeks and collect information. On the day they were to start they slept late and missed the plane. So, instead of catching the next flight they sat home for two weeks. This happened a couple times over five years. I think his wife just got too anxious and wouldn't go. It wasn't anyplace exotic and always in the US (Smoky Mtns and CA}. He would come back to work and we would eagerly ask how the trip went..."Oh, we didn't go" was all he said. Some people are very anxious about travel.
Hopefully they had refundable tickets and deposits...

Old 12-23-2016, 02:13 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Well that's weird. I wonder if he ever even booked the trips to begin with, or if it was all talk?

Old 12-24-2016, 03:17 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Never had that feeling before starting a travel. I just didn't think about that too much in terms of problems or stress, but was just happy to go on travel.

Sometimes during the travel I had that "what the f.... are you doing here?" feeling, for example when I found myself on a North Korean airforce base with some plane geeks, looking at soldiers standing next to their old MIG-15s. It just felt so unreal. Luckily, I did not think about those situations a lot before going on a plane, otherwise I may just have stayed home. But I never regret any travel so far.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:17 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
I think that this is a part of human nature, at least for me. Whenever I start on any significant endeavor, the silent voice coming from my lazy conscious tell me that I would be better off not doing it. I have to admit that I have succumbed to that voice a few times in my life. But most of the time I am able to fight this. If I didn't, I would've be probably dropped of college, became permanently unemployed and spent time watching daily sit coms on TV...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 12-27-2016 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
After being gone for almost 3 weeks, I must say I am glad that I went on my trip.

I think I was getting overwhelmed with the planning details; I had like a 15 page document typed up before I left with travel plans, flights, bus schedules, museum locations, attraction times and on and on...basically I let go a little while there and came to the realization I can't do 'every single thing' I want. So I allowed myself to sleep in when I wanted and for those things/attractions I didn't get to, it's just one more fun thing for me to do next time

FYI my trip was:

Chicago>London (1 day)>Madrid (6 days with a day trip to Segovia)>Barcelona (7 days with a spontaneous day trip to Montserrat)>Lisbon (2 days with a short trip to Sintra)>South Beach, Miami (1 day)>Chicago

The 1 day in London and the 1 day in Miami were because I couldn't get a (free) flight straight into Spain or straight back to Chicago using miles so I decided to spend a day in London and visit an ex-colleague, and upon returning to the US spend the last day on my favorite beach in Miami before returning back to the frigid temps in Chicago. That allowed me to get the free flights in to London and out of Lisbon.

I only paid for the cheaper flights within Europe (London>Madrid and Barcelona>Lisbon) as well as any bus/train fare (wasn't too much either) for the day trips.

Because I love to take photos on vacations (despite the fact I'm currently camera-less), I feel it's my duty to share a few pics taken while gone (below). Enjoy.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
London Tower Bridge:

English breakfast from London Tower Kitchen:

Person selling balloons in Madrd:

Carousel in Madrid:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel