Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:04 AM

670 posts, read 480,049 times

Advertisements

My husband and I booked our 9 night trip to Spain in may. We are trying to figure out the best intinerary. We are not museum people. We love seeing new towns and exploring and eating. Which sounds better ?
Option 1
-Fly in to Madrid, train to Seville for 3 nights - day trip to Córdoba
-Drive from Seville to Ronda stopping in grazelema and Zahara -spend 1 night
- drive to Granada through antequera- 2 nights
- fly to Madrid - 3 nights w day trip to Toledo

Fly home
Option 2
Fly in to Madrid, train to Seville for 3 nights - day trip to Córdoba
-Drive from Seville to Granada stopping in grazelema and Zahara or Ronda or all -spend 2 nights
- fly to Madrid - 4 nights w day trip to Toledo
Fly home

Any help is appreciated ! Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
What no Barcelona? It is a big country granted, but that would be my first choice, my second or third choice would be the northern coast - San Sebastian, Bilboa, etc & points east..

My philosophy of travel now is to limit myself to 2, maybe 3 places tops on a short trip, I would prioritize Seville/Granada if I was handed this itinerary & use Madrid for my entrance/exit days decompression. With a loaded itinerary one spends too much time I feel on trains, buses, traveling.... after a long plane ride. I want to settle in & find a good local cafe or pub, some nice music & pleasant walks & have a deeper feel for the life & rythm of a city or 2.

Seville & Granada are supposed to be wonderful though, enjoy!

Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 AM

I have been to Barcelona and Madrid before but my husband hasn't. We only have 9 days so wanted to see more cities and I know Barcelona requires more days since such a large city. That is why we eliminated it.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
My husband and I booked our 9 night trip to Spain in may. We are trying to figure out the best intinerary. We are not museum people. We love seeing new towns and exploring and eating. Which sounds better ?
Option 1

Fly home
Option 2
-Drive from Seville to Granada stopping in grazelema and Zahara or Ronda or all -spend 2 nights
Fly home

I think both are great plans but I suggest option 1 as Southern Spain is more interesting than Madrid. Madrid is not particularly an interesting city unless you are a museum fan.

I like the fact there are more time in Granada in option 1. it is really an amazing city.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:56 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Agreed. 2 days in Madrid is sufficient. May be adding a day in Costa del Sol.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Option 1

Fly home
Option 2
Fly home

I amazed you would skip Barcelona. I think its the most interesting city in Spain. Option 2 at least takes you to Toledo. I cannot imagine going to Spain and not seeing Toledo. Its an incredible place so rich with history. Segovia would be worth adding for a day trip if possible.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I amazed you would skip Barcelona. I think its the most interesting city in Spain. Option 2 at least takes you to Toledo. I cannot imagine going to Spain and not seeing Toledo. Its an incredible place so rich with history. Segovia would be worth adding for a day trip if possible.
I think it is reasonable.

Barcelona is out of the way in the northeast and OP would be stretching too far for 9 days. Barcelona of course is exquisite but it also has a distinct culture and history, may be a good idea to leave it out for a different trip.

I myself actually visited Barcelona and Madrid/Andalousia on two separate trips.

both options have Toledo by the way.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:15 AM

Yea I have been to both Madrid and Barcelona and actually preferred Madrid. In parts of Barcelona I felt like I was in America. I felt Madrid to be more authentic. I did still love Barcelona though as well. We also excluded because of the distance as well. Madrid made more sense with the other cities on our itinerary and we found better flights there.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:26 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Option 1

Fly home
Option 2
Fly home

I would say Option 1 but either's great. I really enjoyed taking the high speed train in Spain. Que te diviertas.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
What no Barcelona? It is a big country granted, but that would be my first choice, my second or third choice would be the northern coast - San Sebastian, Bilboa, etc & points east..

Seville & Granada are supposed to be wonderful though, enjoy!
Barcelona, San Sebastian & Bilboa are NOT SPAIN Just ask a local!!! They HATE the Spanish They killed their grandfathers and raped their grandmothers

Enjoy those delightful places MORE on a trip to the 'other' countries within Spain (and don't bring your rental car with MADRID plates )

There are some nice places in Spain,

I would spend 1-2 days MAX in cities, and enjoy the personal character and history (and great food / hospitality) of the smaller towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel