Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I had that happen years ago when I attended a conference and there was some confusion on rooms but I would have thought that electronic key systems would have had safeguards to avoid that. I'm guessing it was an employee taking advantage of an empty room. If there was an adjoining room with connecting doors it could be that the doors were not locked.

Was it one of those hourly rate hotels?
At a conference once I opened up a room I ALREADY was checked into the day before (block book) only to face a rather shocked gentleman putting on his pants and asking what I was doing in his room. Because I had stayed in another room the evening before I was assumed to have checked out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Something similar happened to me. We checked into our room at an all inclusive in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago. When we opened the door to our room, we found someone else's stuff in there. Had to make the long trek back down to the lobby for a new room. Never thought anything of it other than an error.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,997,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
At a conference once I opened up a room I ALREADY was checked into the day before (block book) only to face a rather shocked gentleman putting on his pants and asking what I was doing in his room. Because I had stayed in another room the evening before I was assumed to have checked out...
Forget the guy dressing... there's gotta be a great story behind you staying in another room that evening!!!

Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM

5,736 posts, read 4,692,864 times
A few years ago, wife and I went on vacation to Scottsdale. We checked in to a hotel, and went to our room. About 15 minutes later, the hotel room door opens up and an employee just walks right in. He turned and left once he saw us. He didn't say a thing.

This was rather strange, but even more so as the wife and I were, um, "having relations."

I called down to the front desk, and explained what happened. They said that it just isn't possible, and gave me some schpeel like they didn't believe me.

We don't stay there anymore.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:03 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,997,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Hotels can sneak in friends. A few midnight coworkers did it often. It would only be for sleeping (not parties) and they would have to be out before the 7am clerks come. You dummy records and make it look like you moved a guest and put the room out of order so you can get housekeeping in there.

I don't think that happened to the OP. It was more likely a clerk not properly registering the guest. Sneak ins usually happen late at night.
Indeed they do. I was on the road for 2-yrs until recently & saw it at several lower end hotels, mostly in CA & AZ.

It even happens in apt complexes. In my last apt in Encinitas, CA, the office staff was always off for the weekend & no front office staff lived on-property. Every weekend the pool was filled to the brim with kids & it was screaming loud all over the complex.

When I casually mentioned it to neighbors, cuz I was wondering where all the kids suddenly came from & that it was impossible to do laundry on weekends because the multiple laundry rooms were overflowing with Mexican women & their kids doing 5-6 loads at a time, they told me that on-site housekeeping & maintenance staff brought relatives & friends over on weekends & they all stayed in the empty apts. At first, I thought they were joking.

Saw adults loading up sleeping bags, bikes, scooters, mattresses (yes, mattresses) & gaggles of kids into cars at the end of every weekend. And, so the apts showed no sign of use, they conveniently deposited their trash, usually by tossing open garbage bags over balconies to smash glass, open containers of soda & food all over the ground, into the courtyards, which were 10 steps from the dumpsters. They never used the dumpsters. Lovely.

Office staff did nothing about it. Many complained. From their reactions on Mon mornings... I'm guessing they didn't believe it. Did I mention this was an upscale complex?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times
Once I dragged my suitcases all the way to my room, with an urgent need to use the bathroom, only to find out the key card was not programmed properly. First thought was to leave my gear in the hallway and run back down to the desk, but I didn't. I did eventually make it in time!
I also entered a hotel room at least once with someone else's stuff in there. Seems to happen way too often.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
You travel enough and it happens. Happened to me. I went back to the front desk and said "ma'am there is a problem with my room - there is some one in it". Got a laugh from the line behind me.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:02 PM

19,407 posts, read 15,231,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I didn't know ghosts had suitcases. That's a new one.

Seriously, I am wondering how this could have happened.
If a ghost is so upset as to haunt a room, obviously it's holding on to some baggage.

Seriously, though, going by the responses in this thread, this appears to be a very common problem. It happened to us once, too. It was in a little family-run hotel that we had been to many times and had never had a problem with. We just went back to the front desk and got a new room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What was odd was that the desk clerk checked the system and it said that someone had checked out of that room 2 days earlier.
Yeah, that was kind of the weird part to me, too, but who knows.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:44 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
My husband told me once he was in a hotel in his underwear on the bed and a family walked in---. Luckily he wasn't doing anything...

I think they also make mistakes in people checking out. The last time I checked out of a hotel they told me I had checked out already. I had to inform them that no, I had not checked out yet and she said, "Oh I guess I just misheard whatever room number someone else said."

Old 09-16-2017, 01:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
One would think that the hotel computer system for “assigning” rooms would prevent another guess check-in to “that” specific room. Occupied is occupied and you can’t have two different guesses checked to the same room. It’s got to be a poor computer program that would allow two guests to the same room. Yes, they should be able to make two or more keys at the time of check-in, but something isn’t right when this happens. I would not my "assigned room" to have another keycard made for someone else to come in while I’m assigned to that room. {{{scary}}}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel