Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 03:31 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times

Advertisements

Not me personally but years ago, My boss and his family flew to Hawaii for vaca and by the third day, he decided they were leaving. After all the airline connections they had to make, they arrived home only 18 hours before the scheduled return flight.

The following year, they booked a seaside home in Virginia for two weeks. I did my best to talk him out of more than one week but he insisted that his parents and sister's family would be joining them. I made the arrangements and off they went. A week in, his wife called and told me that they were coming home and if I wanted a vacation, I could have the house for the second week and I'd still get my salary!

Traveled to the house and found the fridge fully stocked, the key under the mat and had a delightful week with my son and a friend of mine who was able to get away for a couple of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 03:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Several times due to coastal hurricane warnings...

Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
We once went to Florida and had the Auto Train booked for the way home. However, there was a threat of a hurricane (Hurricane Frances in 2004), and the Auto Train called us about two days before we were booked to leave and told us the train was cancelled. So we hopped in our car a couple days early and headed toward home. We made an unscheduled stop in Savannah, GA for the night after many hours on the road and then headed back home to DC.
I am going through that now, because of Irma Auto train canceled 10 days, I understand, not just Florida but maybe the tracks in SC and GA as well. Finally booked for this Thursday, not a vacation, I'm going home.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm taking a guess here: 80% of those that have a time share would love to get rid of it. No matter where it is.
You are more than likely correct

Old 09-18-2017, 07:46 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
I had to leave a vacation to Naples in 2004 early due to Hurricane Charlie. Getting my flight switched was a little more expensive than usual but nothing like what I heard about with Irma, omg. My friend still lives nearby in Fort Myers and I feel awful for her with what they are going through now. Such a beautiful area but their weather scares me, definitely won't go back during hurricane season although I love visiting still in the winter months. I almost feel like I want to go again this year just to help their tourism industry out and the local economy.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-18-2017 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Yes, many years ago we did a trip through Nashville and Memphis. We hated Memphis so much that we changed our flights to leave a day earlier than originally anticipated. Worth every penny of the change fee.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Tropical Storm Ernesto cut our trip to Cape May short. The morning we left, we walked on the beach just to see what it was like during the start of such a storm. Few things hurt more than blowing sand in tropical storm force winds pelting your bare legs. It didn't even make direct landfall. Everyone was evacuating the islands, took forever to get home.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Years ago I went to London for a friends wedding. At the last minute, my wife was told she could not fly (twins int he belly), but she insisted I go anyway. My brother was living n Germany and was also invited to the wedding, so he came over for five days. I had scheduled 12 days to make the trip worthwhile.

While my brother was there and up through the wedding, I enjoyed it, but I found the constant hands out for cash for absolutely everything to be annoying. After the wedding, my brother went back to Germany. I normally like exploring on my own, but I became annoyed and bored with London after about two more days, people were not very friendly, I was running low on money, and I missed my wife, so I changed my flight and came home early.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Not me personally but years ago, My boss and his family flew to Hawaii for vaca and by the third day, he decided they were leaving. After all the airline connections they had to make, they arrived home only 18 hours before the scheduled return flight.

The following year, they booked a seaside home in Virginia for two weeks. I did my best to talk him out of more than one week but he insisted that his parents and sister's family would be joining them. I made the arrangements and off they went. A week in, his wife called and told me that they were coming home and if I wanted a vacation, I could have the house for the second week and I'd still get my salary!

Traveled to the house and found the fridge fully stocked, the key under the mat and had a delightful week with my son and a friend of mine who was able to get away for a couple of days
Now that was sweet

Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

Traveled to the house and found the fridge fully stocked, the key under the mat and had a delightful week with my son and a friend of mine who was able to get away for a couple of days.
Now that's a vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel