Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 12:46 PM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times

Advertisements

The process for air travel itself is still insufferable. Get to the airport several hours early, check in, wait in line and take off your shoes and belt and laptop, go to the gate, wait until the plane arrives, wait until they call your ticket, get on the plane, wait until everyone is on the plane, fly, get off the plane, and run like a mad man so you don’t miss your connecting flight because your last flight was delayed. And hope they don’t lose your luggage once you reach your destination all the while interacting with dozens of people you’ll never see ever again.

Other than that, air travel is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 12:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
I'd be in favor of a simple dress code. A dress code would help. Something like this:

https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Bos...sengers007.jpg

Old 07-05-2018, 12:52 PM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And it's not like any of it comes as a surprise. Everyone should already know that they need to take off their shoes, so wear ones that are easy to take on and off. Don't wear your thigh high lace up boots to the airport!

And if someone doesn't know about taking out their laptop and toilitries, there are about a million signs explaining all this in the security line. So while waiting in line, just pull out your laptops and liquids so they're ready to go when you get to the bins. Or stick them somewhere that is easily accessible once you get to the front.
Bingo. The problem is folks wait until the last minute. By the time you even get close to the machine, your shoes should already be off, laptop out, no drinks, pockets emptied, and no belt.

The line gets backed up when people do this at the last minute and they just go so slow. It’s a nightmare. They act like they dont have to take their shoes off.

Also the folks shoving crap in the overhead bins or not using their own overhead bin. If you are past the age of 17, you should understand whether your carry on will fit easily into an overhead bin. Stop wasting 10 minutes trying to shove it in and stop putting your crap into overhead bins that are not above your seat.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:19 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,695 times
Actually I enjoy flying more than ever, especially long distance.

I recalled the horrible experience the first time I flew from Asia to Midwest in 70s.

First I had to stop over in Tokyo, then continued on the same plane to Honolulu which was late evening at arrival. Then I had to collect my checked luggage and passed through Immigration and Customs. Afterwards I boarded the same flight and continued onto L.A. After getting off the plane, I had to drag the luggage from International Terminal to Domestic Terminal which was another building. Then I boarded an AA flight to Chicago. I asked the flight attendant for food and she just threw a frozen sandwich to me. In Chicago I boarded a small airline (name forgotten) which used propeller plane to take me to the final destination.

How many hours was the journey in total? I believed it must be 72 -- 80. The only thing I recalled was I was so exhausted that I slept for 20+ hours afterward.

Air travel is now faster and safer. And US Customs now seldom check. It used to be that they asked you to open every suitcase for thorough search.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:25 PM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'd be in favor of a simple dress code. A dress code would help. Something like this:

Plane seats are already uncomfortable enough. I'm not throwing pantyhose and high heels in the mix.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

You're kidding, right? I'm supposed to put on an Armani tux to fly just to appease people like you?

I don't wear pajamas or anything but I sure as hell wear the most comfy clothes I have; usually gym shorts a long t-shirt and sandals. It makes it just a little less miserable.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:43 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I'll explain again.

I don't understand how anyone could site something that takes 30 seconds (like taking off shoes) as a factor that makes flying so horrible. I didn't comment on whether you'd rather drive or how expensive your Rolex is, I specifically referenced the very short time it takes to deal with shoes and a laptop. I don't understand, it seems ridiculous to me that your threshold for aggravation is so low.

I hear you man, gotta take your shoes off and all. It's like 10th level of hell doing something that we do every morning anyway, and ruins the entire day.
It seems ridiculous to me that you're such a booster for flying.

If you don't understand, you don't understand. Having to wait in line, then remove your shoes, take your laptop out of your bag and open it up, then set a $10,000 watch along with my wallet, phone, etc. in a bin that could easily be stolen. I know people who this has happened to. It's stressful and I don't like it, or any part of flying. It used to not be so bad before 9/11, though I certainly understand the logic and reasoning for the heightened security.

All that plus delays, cranky people, uncomfortable, small seats, stupid fees, dealing with airports (where you pay $16 for a $5 drink), etc. The list goes on.

I don't like any part of it. I'm simply answering the OP's question. If you have such a problem with people listing reasons why they hate flying, I really don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The process for air travel itself is still insufferable. Get to the airport several hours early, check in, wait in line and take off your shoes and belt and laptop, go to the gate, wait until the plane arrives, wait until they call your ticket, get on the plane, wait until everyone is on the plane, fly, get off the plane, and run like a mad man so you don’t miss your connecting flight because your last flight was delayed. And hope they don’t lose your luggage once you reach your destination all the while interacting with dozens of people you’ll never see ever again.
Just about anything would sound insufferable if you listed it out in mundain step by step details.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
If you don't understand, you don't understand. Having to wait in line, then remove your shoes, take your laptop out of your bag and open it up, then set a $10,000 watch along with my wallet, phone, etc. in a bin that could easily be stolen. I know people who this has happened to. It's stressful and I don't like it, or any part of flying. It used to not be so bad before 9/11, though I certainly understand the logic and reasoning for the heightened security.
Why not put your wallet, watch, and phone in your bag? If they're so valuable to you, I don't know why you would just throw them into a bin where they're more likely to get picked up, even accidently, by someone else. Or if flying with a "$10,000 watch" is so stressful, why not just leave it at home.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It used to be fun!! Believe it or not...meals were quite good. Lots of good snacks. People behaved then. Rarely was there a disturbance. No one complained about anyone else.

Of course you could take whatever you chose on board with you then. No taking off of shoes. No feeling up and down the body by strangers who act like you are the next terrorist. Long lines were rare.

Now it's a travesty. It gives you a headache. I have chosen not to fly on recent years.

Pretty much, what she said. I flew about 800K miles before 9-11. It was much better then.

Having been spoiled by "the way it should be", I am quite dis-satisfied with what I get anymore.

I'm getting quite close to the point of saying "No thanks, I don't fly commercial anymore."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel