Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 11:32 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times

Advertisements

My first reason is jet air pollution. The environmental cost is staggeringly huge, but mostly ignored. Next is the rising cost of jet fuel, which puts downward pressure on all other expenses. Airlines cut all corners to stay in business. I don't want to be in mid-flight when they find new corners to cut. I don't have a smartphone. Many businesses assume all people have smartphones and cut the services done by live people on site. The rest has been well covered in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All of these "back in the day" comments. Times change, folks.
This isn't about old people being nostalgic. The business model they had "back in the day" was a win-win. Flying was PLEASURABLE. It was about customer service.

I don't know if the deregulation of airlines had anything to do with the downfall, or exactly what the dynamics are, but the customer is now treated as an irritation and the inflight conditions are abysmal and uncomfortable. I don't know about you, but I like to be comfortable, especially on long flights. I don't know who could possibly argue with this (except airlines).

There is great room for improvement, and some smart airline might cater to a big population of Baby Boomers who prefer to fly in comfort. Ya never know.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All of these "back in the day" comments. Times change, folks.
I think that if you could go back in time and take a regular coach flight, and compare it to the service today, you might wish for those days to return.

I'm not THAT old, but I remember we even had an airline in Canada that served excellent meals in coach on china. Unlimited wine and drinks. Seats were wider and more comfortable. No extra charges for anything.

That said, I am glad that smoking is no longer allowed, and the entertainment systems are so much better today...and safety has improved!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:06 PM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think that if you could go back in time and take a regular coach flight, and compare it to the service today, you might wish for those days to return.

But those days aren't likely aren't going to return. So perhaps it's time to, in the words of Elsa, "Let it go".

Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But those days aren't likely aren't going to return. So perhaps it's time to, in the words of Elsa, "Let it go".
Why shouldn't the customer get what they want?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
TSA, small seats, rude attendants, cost, bad publicity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I’ve taken 2 trips this past year on 2 different airlines. The first one was from Las Vegas to New York on Delta, the 2nd on Southwest from Las Vegas to Orlando 6 months later.

When I book flights I try to get the best possible price with flights that won’t be landing at my destination at 5am. I also try to book non stop flights whenever possible. If that’s not possible then at least I want the stopover to be on the way to my destination, and not 100s of miles out of the way. I also avoid Frontier and Spirit at ALL costs. If it means I pay another $100-$200 for my ticket so be it

In the fall of last year I found a non stop flight from Las Vegas to JFK on Delta for $265 round trip. I wasn’t charged to check my bag (I thought I could carry it on but the flight attendant said it was too big but that they’d waive the fee. Cool by me. The service in flight was great as well especially since I paid for a basic economy ticket. Alcohol prices were reasonable as was the in flight entertainment.

2 months ago I flew from Las Vegas to my hometown of Orlando on Southwest with a stop in San Antonio. I booked Southwest this time around because they had a better price than Delta. Also no checked bag fees was nice. I also didn’t mind paying $14 for 2 vodka sodas. Especially since most bars in Vegas charge more for just one. In flight service was good, they didn’t have TVs in the seats the way Delta does, so the inflight entertainment killed my iPhones battery (will be investing in a tablet for my next SW flight.)

I’ve had several other plane trips over the years but those 2 are my most recent. Point is my experience flying has always been enjoyable.

So what gives, why do some people HATE air travel so much?

Old 07-04-2018, 02:23 PM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why shouldn't the customer get what they want?

Because the customer isn't willing to pay what it would cost to compensate for larger seats and better food. It's already available to them, and they still choose to fly coach because they want to pay as little as possible.

And the customers aren't willing to admit that they are part of the problem.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:03 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It used to be fun!! Believe it or not...meals were quite good. Lots of good snacks. People behaved then. Rarely was there a disturbance. No one complained about anyone else.

Of course you could take whatever you chose on board with you then. No taking off of shoes. No feeling up and down the body by strangers who act like you are the next terrorist. Long lines were rare.

Now it's a travesty. It gives you a headache. I have chosen not to fly on recent years.
Yes, it used to be fun. It hasn't been for quite some time.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:13 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
This isn't about old people being nostalgic. The business model they had "back in the day" was a win-win. Flying was PLEASURABLE. It was about customer service.
The business model was that is was far more exclusive and thus more expensive.

Quote:
but the customer is now treated as an irritation and the inflight conditions are abysmal and uncomfortable. I don't know about you, but I like to be comfortable, especially on long flights. I don't know who could possibly argue with this (except airlines)
I could argue it, I'm honestly baffled at people who imply they are treated like vermin. Airline staff usually politely greet me when they scan my ticket at the gate, and when I board the plane. If they are coming through serving drinks they inquire what I'd like, they serve it, and we're good.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:22 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,642,081 times
I used to fly a lot for my job, at one time covering the eastern U.S. I had too many occasions where equipment that travelled with me either got lost, delayed or misdirected. Also, compared to driving in my own vehicle, I felt like cattle in a cattle drive boarding and then being squeezed into cramped, uncomfortable spaces. For me, it was nothing but a hassle and I will never fly again unless absolutely necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel