Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times

Advertisements

Because it sucks?

Seriously- travel has always been associated with annoyances and inconveniences. Think about heading out west by stagecoach.

There are people who look for reasons not to experience anything outside their front door. And there are people who find travel worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:59 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,364 times
I don’t hate air travel; I just dislike the attitude of people who fly.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I find that the people who travel the least who are the most prone to hyperbole.

Last month I was behind a woman in the security line who was doing all sorts of dramatic sighing and trying to catch fellow passengers line with "Can you believe what I have to deal with" eyes. The huge hassle? She had full-sized hair products in her carryon and was trying to explain how she didn't know they weren't allowed, and therefore, should be allowed to bring them on board.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I remember steak and lobster meals in coach
Do you remember what the inflation adjusted price of that coach travel was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I find that the people who travel the least who are the most prone to hyperbole.
Indeed. Look no further than that "how to avoid being kicked off" thread that's floating about the forum today.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It used to be fun!! Believe it or not...meals were quite good. Lots of good snacks. People behaved then. Rarely was there a disturbance. No one complained about anyone else.

Of course you could take whatever you chose on board with you then. No taking off of shoes. No feeling up and down the body by strangers who act like you are the next terrorist. Long lines were rare.

Now it's a travesty. It gives you a headache. I have chosen not to fly on recent years.
Why must a flight be "fun?" It's transportation from point A to point B. Getting through security takes a couple of minutes and most times people just walk through the big detector. No touching involved.

I think part of the nostalgia is economic and cultural. Years ago, only the wealthy and upper middle class could fly on a regular basis. Now, it's more equal among classes and certain folks don't feel special anymore.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Yes. They're the ones who view every delay or inconvenience as a personal offense. No sir, this weather delay was not created just to make you late for your meeting.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
I've made a concerted effort to be comfortable during air travel. Regardless of airline, I do not travel well in coach. Between the uncomfortable cloth seats that bend your back like a question mark and the extra body heat from TWO neighbors instead of one, it is very easy for me to get airsick. I also do not passenger well in the back seat of cars. Driving or front passenger is fine.

I travel infrequently enough that I can save up to purchase first class domestic air fare when traveling. I do not have a desire to leave the country at this moment, so I'll cross that bridge (ocean?) when I get to it.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
The seats. Mostly the seats. I'm not a small person, I'm not a big person....I'm just an ordinary size with ordinary length legs and I still don't fit in the seats. I can't afford first class; it's coach for me.

I can never recline my seat because someone behind me has their knees jammed against the seat. But somehow, the person in front of me manages to recline practically back into my lap.

Inevitably, the person beside me oozes over into my seat; I paid for a full seat but I'm lucky if I get 3/4 of it. The constant elbow jockeying for the arm rest. The guy sitting beside me with long legs who "spreads" over into my leg space.

I still fly frequently, but I reserve the right to complain about it. I'll drive for anything shorter than a 10-hour drive, but those cross-country trips.....gotta fly.

I flew to India this year. That may be my last long flight.....it about did me in.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I don't have a problem with the flight unless there are obnoxious travelers on board I live 2 -2 1/2 hours from any airport that has direct flights from where I might fly to. Between the drive, the parking, being there early, and going through security it is just a hassle and very time consuming. From my TN home it is quicker to drive to NY. From FL...yeah I am flying. Usually my husband and I take the motorhome and see some sights along the way. Sometimes that is not economical.

I do have to say the online check in is an improvement.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM

369 posts, read 325,673 times
First, let me state I'm not a control freak.
Second I flew every week for around ten years for business.
I have experienced the whole gamut for early 70's " steak and eggs with legs" flights to sitting on the tarmac with no air for four hours. The more the industry advances the more it dehumanizes.
One word sums it's present conditions
"MOOOoo"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel