Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

I will throw out a couple:

Kohler Waters Spa in Wisconsin

Seaside, Florida

Nantucket, Mass.

Pretty much anywhere in Wyoming in summer

Vermont in autumn

Paris, because it's most assuredly the best place on Earth and can never be rated highly enough (some people actually don't like it )!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 08:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
FWIW- The Olympic National Park in Washington is gorgeous and, underutilized, which I think is a good thing.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Watching this.

The place that surprised me the most in terms of things to see and do, nice hotels, low cost, good food, good music, easy to get around without a car with a good airport was Memphis.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I live just down the beach from Seaside, FL and have to say that familiarity breeds annoyance at its inherent fakeness. It's every inch the movie set that the Truman Show portrayed it as, and there are far more interesting options in that area that actually have a soul. Give me Grayton Beach just down the road any day.

Underrated- Western Colorado. It shares the amazing scenery of neighboring Utah but Colorado tourism doesn't market it to death like Utah does for their 'Big 5'. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is such an amazing place and we when we were there during peak tourism season, it seemed like there were maybe 100 people in the entire park.

It's not underrated by any means, but I'm in the camp that says when a person claims to be tired of London, they're tired of life. (And hey, get out into the countryside for a few days; it explains a lot about English culture and its fascination with the rural world)

Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I live just down the beach from Seaside, FL and have to say that familiarity breeds annoyance at its inherent fakeness. It's every inch the movie set that the Truman Show portrayed it as, and there are far more interesting options in that area that actually have a soul. Give me Grayton Beach just down the road any day.

Underrated- Western Colorado. It shares the amazing scenery of neighboring Utah but Colorado tourism doesn't market it to death like Utah does for their 'Big 5'. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is such an amazing place and we when we were there during peak tourism season, it seemed like there were maybe 100 people in the entire park.

It's not underrated by any means, but I'm in the camp that says when a person claims to be tired of London, they're tired of life. (And hey, get out into the countryside for a few days; it explains a lot about English culture and its fascination with the rural world)
I love Grayton Beach also, but Seaside has really wonderful quality beachfront vacation rentals. And the bike paths are great. It's kind of like Sanibel in SoWal. Really all of South Walton is a gem!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
FWIW- The Olympic National Park in Washington is gorgeous and, underutilized, which I think is a good thing.
Agreed! Love it!

Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I will throw out a couple:

Kohler Waters Spa in Wisconsin

Seaside, Florida

Nantucket, Mass.

Pretty much anywhere in Wyoming in summer

Vermont in autumn

Paris, because it's most assuredly the best place on Earth and can never be rated highly enough (some people actually don't like it )!
Obviously we all have different tastes, (Cuz I very much dislike Paris, but really LUV Amsterdam) yet similar cities. I also change... Italy was not great on our first 3 visits, but last time we really enjoyed Italy.

FL Used to like it, but find it 'worn-out' (overcrowded and dirty)

WY in Summer? Lived in / near and traveled WY for 30 yrs (Daily truck driving route)/ I like WY in shoulder season, and spend my 'Northern Hemisphere' summers in PNW (including AK and BC) or Atlantic Provinces.

There are many choices,
I like Greece and Portugal (Back Country destinations)

USA, the lessor known National Parks and Monuments. I do my National Parks touring very early in the morning.

Nearly every State in USA has a special interest area that is yet to be too commercialized, and many Past exhibits / destinations that have lost their interest / off the main routes when the Interstate Highway and train traffic abandoned them. (Such as Pioneer Village in Nebraska) Great place to hang out for a few days and enjoy Americana on the prairie. ('Now' and Past generations)

Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Asheville, NC. I don’t think the average person knows just how fantastic of a beer and restaurant city it is. Add to that the Biltmore and beautiful location in the mountains and it’s really stellar. One of my favorite destinations, and so glad I live 3.5 hrs away now (vs 9 in STL).

Old 11-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Regionally... (1 hr perimeter)
The area and small towns around San Antonio has a lot to do / see / experience. (I prefer it between Thanksgiving and New Years (Christmas Lighting Trail and events)

For USA Nature during the winter... I head to NP in Utah and to the SW Desert areas (Using LAS and TUS as a hub).

Old 11-04-2018, 01:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Buenos Aires, Argentina - a terrific place more European than Latin American in spirit it might seem, very sophisticated & very reasonable in costs; off the radar entirely for most Americans.

Same with the Croatian coastline (Europeans know all about this though) from Zadar, a great place to visit, south to Dubrovnik. (I suspect Albania will become an interesting destination pretty soon too.)

For curious foodies with a DIY attitude: Queens NYC; By following the subway from the great riverside views of Manhattan through stops at each ethnic enclave from LAtin AMerica & Asia out to America's largest "Chinatown" & staying in Greek influenced Astoria next to the Museum of the Moving Image.

Utah used to be underrated but I guess it isn't anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel