Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 07:28 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

^^^

There are very few CHEAP options in Israel. I am almost shocked at the prices that some of the food bloggers post on their meals in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Have you been to jollibee? Those are everywhere in the Philippines and they have a few Hawaii locations that I've been to.
They have Jollibee in parts of Canada, in NYC and one recently opened in London.

Major established US Chains in the UK include McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominos, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, Five Guys, Starbucks and Subway

Other chains that have started opening in the UK include Shake Shack, Smashburger, The Counter (Custom Burgers), Denny's, Fatburger, Wahlburgers, Wingstop, Slims Chicken, MOD Pizza, Aunty Annie's, Cinnabon, Taco Bell, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Baskin Robin, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Shops, Aunty Annie's as well as Canadian Chain Tim Hortons and Austrlian/US Coffee Chain Gloria Jeans.

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-26-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They have Jollibee in parts of Canada, in NYC and one recently opened in London.

Jollibee is also in Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, among others, about 37 in the US total. They open up a location in nearly ANY city with a sizable Filipino population. In general, they try to located inside Filipino supermarkets and often pair up with Chowking and/or Red Ribbon Bakeries.

I have to say that they generally do NOT Americanize their foods at this point. So if you do not like the overly sweet spaghetti sauce, don't order it at Jollibee's.

For those who complain that the noise at Jollibee's is too loud, it serves as sort of a community center for the local Filipino community.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:50 AM

482 posts, read 419,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Jollibee is also in Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, among others, about 37 in the US total. They open up a location in nearly ANY city with a sizable Filipino population. In general, they try to located inside Filipino supermarkets and often pair up with Chowking and/or Red Ribbon Bakeries.
I would say this is true in Virginia Beach. Jollibee opened up in Jacksonville almost two years ago...still waiting on the other two to show up.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
KFC is big down here. Instead of fried, you get white rice and lentils. Not sure how I feel about that. The chicken itself seems better quality. Carl's Jr. I was surprised to see, and it is very expensive.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
No, but I discovered my favorite fast food of all time, first time in the Netherlands, then in Germany.

Wok 2 Walk- I could eat there almost every day.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:05 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
No, but I discovered my favorite fast food of all time, first time in the Netherlands, then in Germany.

Wok 2 Walk- I could eat there almost every day.
It looks similar to Tokyo Joe's - some different menu items but same general concept.

As for the general question, yes, if I'm in a location long enough, I might visit a McDonalds to see how it's customized for the local market. If I'm only there long enough for a small number of meals, then I would not necessarily want to give one up for that, but once it's a few days or longer, it's been a fun experience.

My favorite was the McDonalds in Rome. It was gorgeous - marble walls with fountains and lovely plants. Definitely glad I got to see it. Apparently there is now one that incorporates part of the original Appian Way, so if I was in Rome again, I'd make a point to check that out.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:15 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Once in Queenstown, New Zealand, my client dragged me to a Korean restaurant. While I'll try just about any cuisine with an open mind, I think Korean food is absolutely disgusting. It reminds me of what you'd find in a tackle box.

So after we parted ways, I went to the McDonald's down the street out of sheer desperation. I ordered a Big Mac, took one bite, and felt a decided crunch.

Beets. They put beets in their Big Macs in New Zealand.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
KFC is big down here. Instead of fried, you get white rice and lentils. Not sure how I feel about that. The chicken itself seems better quality. Carl's Jr. I was surprised to see, and it is very expensive.

I was in South Africa earlier in the year, and KFCs were everywhere. I couldn't get over it. But I didn't stop in for a bite.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 PM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It does bother me though visiting other areas such as Amsterdam and seeing the growing number of American franchises gaining in popularity (my personal feelings).

I understand a lot of tourists like the comfort of eating something they are familiar with but I always think if you travel that far to see new things you should also try the local cuisine.

I think a lot of these American FF places weren't opened for the American tourists, but for the locals who want to eat what the Americans are eating. I know that in places like Panama, McDonalds is very popular, especially with the kids, because it is McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel