Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I didm't expect to be such an odd-man-out on this topic. I guess my free-wheeling comfort arisis from 60's Africa when Lonely Planet hadn't even been dreamed of, and one operated on blind faith there was even a road all the way across the country. Somehow you could piece everything together on the fly, and I still believe in that magic..

Adventure is not what you find behind behind clearly marked doors, but what comes in through doors left open.
lol come on man this damned cringe-worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Adventure doesn't just mean being interrogated at gunpoint by revolutionaries. It can also mean being invited to a family's farm for the weekend. Are you free to say Yes, or do you have to squeeze in one more museum?
I never said that adventure means being interrogated at gunpoint by revolutionaries. Where the hell are you coming up with this stuff?

You're the one who brought "adventure" into this, which you seem to think means flying by the seat of your pants. I don't think I agree with that. One can have a plan in place and still have an adventure.

Most people don't enjoy traveling by blind faith. If you enjoy it, more power to you. There's nothing wrong with either way of traveling. Whatever works for the traveler.

Besides, I recall traveling with my family to Germany as a child. We had some aquaintances in the country (the parents of my cousin's wife). We met up with them and they invited us to stay in their small village for the weekend. My parents thought that sounded wonderful, so they took them up on their offer. We ended up spending most of the weekend watching TV with them. That's literally all they wanted to do. I think squeezing in another museum would have been far better. Sometimes the clearly marked door is better than the door left open.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Adventure is not that comfort grasped by the masses, it's the beckoning call of that which was unexpected in the still night. That taste of discomfort that allays the frustration of the routine, the barely discernible hint of bitterness in your swallow when you know the comfort of all that has been known might crash into the nether. It takes fear from an enveloping terror to a welcome blanket of alevo from the mundane, an injection of perspicacity to the doldrums of the inane travails that we suffer. A sweet nectar of from the sheen of sweat on our upper lip as we accept our fate at the hands of turgid rivers of anxiety that flow deep within our veins like the maldad that runneth deep betwixt the river of Styx in the Hades of adventure travel.

I'm surprised the rest of you don't feel the same.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Adventure is not that comfort grasped by the masses, it's the beckoning call of that which was unexpected in the still night. That taste of discomfort that allays the frustration of the routine, the barely discernible hint of bitterness in your swallow when you know the comfort of all that has been known might crash into the nether. It takes fear from an enveloping terror to a welcome blanket of alevo from the mundane, an injection of perspicacity to the doldrums of the inane travails that we suffer. A sweet nectar of from the sheen of sweat on our upper lip as we accept our fate at the hands of turgid rivers of anxiety that flow deep within our veins like the maldad that runneth deep betwixt the river of Styx in the Hades of adventure travel.

I'm surprised the rest of you don't feel the same.

Lol are you writing a book? I absolutely love the prose but don't travel in your way at all. Adventure for me is meeting unexpected people and getting away from the main tourist drags to eat in restaurants that only locals know about. It's not getting on a plane to someplace far flung without doing any research, and going wherever the wind takes me.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Adventure doesn't just mean being interrogated at gunpoint by revolutionaries. It can also mean being invited to a family's farm for the weekend. Are you free to say Yes, or do you have to squeeze in one more museum?

Can only speak for myself, but I have to squeeze in one more museum, thanks. YMMV.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I had a feeling that smugness would rule this discussion....

I've done both. Now I prefer some structure and planning. I don't want to pay $200 for a train ticket when it will only cost $35 if I book it in advance. I don't want to show up to Vietnam during Tet when it's mobbed and hard to find a decent place to stay. I don't want to dream about eating at elBulli or Noma but never get to go because I didn't make as reservation.

I have some priorities other than simply wandering around when traveling, these days. The beaten path has its place sometimes.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I had a feeling that smugness would rule this discussion....

I've done both. Now I prefer some structure and planning. I don't want to pay $200 for a train ticket when it will only cost $35 if I book it in advance. I don't want to show up to Vietnam during Tet when it's mobbed and hard to find a decent place to stay. I don't want to dream about eating at elBulli or Noma but never get to go because I didn't make as reservation.

I have some priorities other than simply wandering around when traveling, these days. The beaten path has its place sometimes.
I have to share this link. I think about it often when i'm in the travel forum and these discussions arise. I adore rugrats' reply.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38053084-post74.html

Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I have to share this link. I think about it often when i'm in the travel forum and these discussions arise. I adore rugrats' reply.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38053084-post74.html

I'm impressed that you dug up a four year old post, but I see why. That's exactly spot on!

Old 02-08-2019, 01:17 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm impressed that you dug up a four year old post, but I see why. That's exactly spot on!

Searching by keyword 'borscht' in the travel forum made all the difference. I never forgot that and there are only 7 posts with that word. I laughed for days over this post and marveled at the accuracy.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I plan for everything including the weather. We are headed to Disney for Christmas and I planned that trip a year in advance. We went to Galveston and Mexico this past summer. I can't tell you how many times I checked for a hotel, rental car and airline updates, and changes. Everything went smooth. I like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel