Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I know this is going to sound snarky, but I really don't mean it to ... if you have no desire to travel, what brings you to the Travel forum?
I'm guessing that it's the same for her as it is for me where we don't actually go to any specific forum, but the topic shows up in our feed and is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I fly frequently and have amassed a collection of several hundred of the TSA baskets and trays used at the security check-ins. Never realized that they have so many different varieties of all different designs, sizes, shapes and colors Useful at home to throw your keys and wallet in and convenient to have on hand in case you need to pat down one of your guests or just want to play; "TSA Agent: Find The Terrorist" with your friends and family.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
We have our "Louisiana room". Our family room is all about Louisiana. There are framed pictures that we took on our swamp tour, a painting that my husband's friend did, of a LA swamp, 5 alligator figurines, various masks hanging on the walls, our bead collection prominently displayed, Mardi Gras posters, a framed picture of Dr. John, and a framed program, from one of the Creole Tomato Festivals we went to with Rosy Ledet's picture on it. We also have a framed picture on the wall, done in pencil, of a street view of Royal Street, in New Orleans. I think that's about it...

Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Refrigerator magnets are wonderful. Used to put them on our fridge but now have so many that we purchased these beautiful framed magnetic display boards. Have 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the family room, each with around 35 magnets. We try to get 1 or 2 magnets from every vacation, and have been doing that since we were married 15 years ago. Brings back great memories and they are great conversation pieces.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:12 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
We have the Starbucks City mugs. Itinerate coffee drinkers, so they get used all the time, but otherwise we try to pick up more meaningful souvenirs instead of the usual Chinese plastic junk.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Magnets.. I love seeing them everytime I go to the fridge.

I do collect two things that I am always on the lookout when I travel, and its beercaps and coasters from Bars with various beers (or bar names) on them.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:35 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We try to get a refrigerator magnet from each new place we visit. When our daughter was growing up, we did several cross-country road trips. Sometimes I like to look at our collection that's on our fridge door and do some reminiscing.

When places used to give out matchbooks, we collected them, too. Someday I should figure out how to properly display them.
Someone I knew had a huge collection of Matchbooks, and she got a really cool shaped glass vase (for a lack of a better term) and put them in there. Looked cool in her living room.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:22 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
As I get older--and especially after this last move--souvenirs become clutter and a burden so I resist the temptation to buy them. I tend to take a gazillion pictures instead which stay on my camera phone--more "clutter" but at least it's not physical clutter. A few pics became my computer desktop wallpaper.

When I was much younger I collected T-shirts but then I discovered that I wasn't really wearing them (except for my ARIZONA tee--I really loved that shirt!) When T-shirt styles changed to be longer and narrower--and I became shorter and wider--I stopped getting them.

My one weakness are seashells and sea glass--no matter what beach I'm on I can't help but look down! I've made several sand/seashell/glass still life arrangements and ornaments. Generally, I don't collect sand though I did take some from a coral beach in Ireland 10 years ago.

These days I don't need to go anywhere for souvenirs--my daughter who is a newbie missile launch control officer for the Air Force sends me patches commemorating each launch. I have enough to dec out a jacket. (which I would probably never wear....)

Old 02-26-2019, 06:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I have friend who had spoons from various places she traveled with her husband over their marriage
He died about 15 yrs ago and she stopped collecting

I made her a collage of photos of them on vacation we took together—a couple of years before he passes away—using a mat with various size openings—
She appreciated that a lot—has it hanging in spot in her hall that you walk past often...
That was a nice thank-you — to make it visible...

For while my daughter started collecting snow globes from travels
They took up lot of space though so they are packed away
Don’t think she gets them anymore

Old 02-26-2019, 08:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
My son has a mini-bat from every major and minor-league baseball park we have been to.

My wife buys a Christmas Tree ornament from many places we visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel