Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:50 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Some people do not like to leave their home towns, even for a day trip. I love it & we try to do a long day trip every few months, or more in summer.
Twenty miles is too far for some people and driving for three hours is a major hardship. Scheduling a family weekend trip is nearly impossible once kids have obligations for sports or other activities.

Where I live there seems to be two kinds of people: travellers and homebodies. The travellers are often transplants from somewhere else and like exploring their new area. Some would like to spend a week in Prague or Paris but might miss local attractions. The homebodies are often local born and raised folks who rarely leave their county or city.

I moved 1000 miles six years ago and made a short bucket list of things or places I never visited in my home state...even after 65 years. I hit one or two before I moved but time ran out and never made it to most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 03:09 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Honestly, I've never been to the majority on the places on OP's list. I prefer doing fairly mundane things on weekends in a relaxed fashion, and when I take time off work I take longer trips to see family (who all live 2000+ miles away).

Old 06-01-2019, 03:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,119,023 times
Did this get moved from the DC area forum? It feels like it, but I suppose you could generalize it to all areas and people not going to places that are close to home.
My reason for not traveling is traffic congestion. I live very close to DC and just dread the idea of going into town (DC )anymore when I don't have to. Yet I go over to Mt Vernon several times a year. I treat it like a beautiful park, seldom go into the mansion. I love the restaurant there and often stop for lunch.
I finally got over to Skyline drive and Luray Caverns after living in the area for many years.Crowds on a weekend keep it from being enjoyable to me.
While working-it was a matter of time to travel. Now I don't know how to justify it.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Most of those places are pretty boring, but NYC has a nifty art museum and good pizza.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:23 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
They’re really not boring. I’m not a history or in general museum type person, but I lived the American history Smithsonian (that’s where Archie Bunkers chair is, and Dorothy’s ruby slippers), and the Vietnam Memorial was fascinating. Philly is lots of fun, all kinds of concerts on the water at Penns Landing, walking South Street, etc.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:05 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
My reason for not traveling is traffic congestion. I live very close to DC and just dread the idea of going into town (DC )anymore when I don't have to.
Park at a metro station and take the metro into DC. Get off at Smithsonian.

It’s a good way to beat the traffic.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
money.
do not have enough
to go to sites listed.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:38 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Now that I think about it, when I lived in northern VA there were a few people who didn't seem to talk about going to tourist attractions, and never seemed to enjoy local day trips, either. Mostly people who were all about work or who were going to school in addition to holding down a job. Also, some friends who were very busy with their families and went to their kids' events instead of doing the tourist thing. And even some people who just didn't find tourist attractions all that interesting. For me, these people were the exception. But they existed. And I knew someone who live in Miami but had never been to the beach or to the Everglades. So I take back my earlier post.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
money.
do not have enough
to go to sites listed.
Almost everything in D.C. including the Smithsonians, are free. A lot more sites than people realize are free or have free nights. Even the Philadelphia Museum of Art is free Wednesday evenings. Of course it helps to live near them. But I think most if not all cities have free places to see or at least free or discounted times.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:40 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Almost everything in D.C. including the Smithsonians, are free. A lot more sites than people realize are free or have free nights. Even the Philadelphia Museum of Art is free Wednesday evenings. Of course it helps to live near them. But I think most if not all cities have free places to see or at least free or discounted times.
Free but, boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel