Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,279,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I like flying the Alaska commuter planes. But they seat 9 passengers max so nothing goes through security and the pilots are laid back, cocky guys who are really fun. However, weight is so important even the humans get on the scale. There is a huge difference between commuter flights and commercial.
Oh, I know! I can think of only two flights in my entire travel career in this category: one was the world's shortest scheduled airline flight, between Westray and Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands (2.5 minutes)- of course DH and I had to take it and get the certificates to prove it. On the way back we flew over the remains of a prehistoric settlement and the pilot pointed out the window- too noisy for conversation. DH missed getting it with his camera and the pilot circled over it again!

The second was a business meeting in Des Moines. I was told we were flying from Kansas City (it's an easy 3-hour drive, but OK). Then they called with details, said we were leaving from the old downtown airport and asked me how much I weighed! This was an insurance brokerage, it was a client visit and the Account Executive was paying for a charter. (The Account Executives, who bring in the business, typically earn six-figure compensation but they work for it.) Really cool- I got a picture of myself decked out in by business suit, standing at the door of the plane.

And, on the OT- I should mention that my 5-year old granddaughter LOVES flying, based on the two trips we've taken together. But she actually fits into the seats and thinks a pack of Biscoffs is a gourmet treat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 3,037,752 times
Default Does anyone actually enjoy flying?

The lines, the taking off shoes, the x-ray machines, the delays etc.? No, don't enjoy those.

The flying itself? Oh my yes. Looking at the landscape from six miles up - that never gets old.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:51 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
It depends what class you are flying and with which airline and how long the journey is, in terms of long haul it's fairly essential that you have a decent level of comfort and food that is appetising.

For shorter trips in Europe the train are usually good options.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,410,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL.

I drive long distances alone regularly, and I love it. Drove 284 miles today. I usually listen to music, but I've been on a true crime podcast kick. I'm binge-listening right now to one that's got 80+ episodes. I'm up to No. 40. Four more hours/242 miles tomorrow. Each episode is about 45 minutes. Probably get about five more in.
I prefer driving over flying when driving is an option.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,647,130 times
I hate it, and not because I’m afraid of it. Fortunately, being retired, I will probably never have to fly again, if I’m lucky. I’ve had a belly full of it.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:46 PM

16,133 posts, read 10,808,224 times
I hate everything about it. I don't do it unless I fly overseas, super long distances, or emergency reasons. I've had way too many negative experiences to willingly subject myself to the abuse and have to pay dearly for it.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM

120 posts, read 65,584 times
No, it is too much trouble now. I drive, take what I want and enjoy every bit of it. If I left the country I would not come back.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:36 PM

15,550 posts, read 10,539,245 times
I like flying, but I hate flying commercial. I may never fly commercial again, it's that bad. I usually drive now, even fairly long distances.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,149,218 times
Watching entertainment is a very important factor in long-haul flight. Some airlines even offer Korean soap (non-Korean airlines). Once you are hooked, it easily kills time.

In term of watching on flight movie, actually I prefer Economy Class to Business Class. The distance between the monitor screen to your seat in Economy Class is just right while it is too far in Business Class. IMO the screen size of Business Class should be enlarged (some airlines do).

Old 06-07-2019, 03:22 PM

22,511 posts, read 12,055,173 times
There was a time in my life when I loved flying. It was exciting just knowing that I was going to take a plane. As a kid, I would count down the days with great anticipation. Just walking into the airport, there was a buzz in the air that just added to the excitement.

Back then, there was more legroom and the seats were wider. I even looked forward to having the meal on the plane. People would complain about the food but while it wasn't best ever, it was decent. I would feel excited when we began our descent. If I had a window seat, I would be watching, waiting for the airport to come into view.

Now, I often feel dread when I know we're going to fly. While I fully understand the need for heightened security, it is a real hassle. The few times I've been able to to TSA pre-check, it made life much easier.

Then once on the plane (unless we upgrade to E-plus) we can expect to be packed in like sardines. It's a rare flight that isn't full these days, so we've learned to never expect to have room to spread out. Now that we're older and arthritic, our bodies can take a beating and we're really stiff when it's time to disembark.

If we have to make a connection, there is a chance that the first flight is delayed and we miss the connection. Speaking of flight delays --- Over 10 years ago, we booked on the long defunct Independence Air and had a 5 hour delay before we could take off. It dawned on me that if we had taken the Acela, we would have long since been home.

Recently, we were talking with neighbors who had returned from visiting FL. They talked about delayed flights and missed connections. After all that, they came to the conclusion that next time they go to FL, they are going to drive and take their time stopping more than once along the way. We agreed with them. Besides, if you're not in a rush to get to your destination, driving affords you a chance to stop and visit attractions along the way that you might never have visited otherwise.

Of course, we will still fly. We have enough frequent flyer miles saved up so we, at some point, will fly again---just where, we're not sure yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel