Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM

134 posts, read 286,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
My first stop is usually to check Travelocity. For some reason that's my go-to site though I couldn't really tell you why, haha. Make sure to shop around, not just on travel sites but on airline and hotel sites too. When I went to Seoul I booked my flight directly from United Airlines' website.
Book as early as you can because rates are always changing. Out of curiosity, I checked the prices on those Seoul tickets a month after purchasing them. I kid you not—the same seats were $500 more!
Also another tip: it's not always the case, but sometimes you can get a better rate by booking on "odd" days of the week like Tuesday or Wednesday instead of Fridays or the weekends. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the input, I am looking around on travelocity, priceline and hotwire. Hope I can get a great deal.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 PM

134 posts, read 302,544 times
Check all the online bucket shops (they are no longer competitive, but go for them anyway)
Then check with the airlines (some of them guarantee to undercut everybody)

Then phone the travel agents (but learn how to tell fibs first)

If the best deal you got was (say) $600, tel the agent 'I've been offered $500'.

Watch him/her squirm. You might get $550.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
My first trip out of the country was to Canada. I entered south of Thunder Bay and drove around two Great Lakest Sault St. Marie, MI., and drove back to MN. It was a glorous fall trip and very relaxing. The food was wonderful, the people were accomodating and I found all the shopping I wanted. I had no food in the car and I wasn't bothered by bears. They like to stoke up on food before they hibernate for the winter.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
I notice the same thing. I rarely see them at concerts or plays too. What do educated black people like to do? Clubs and Hip hop concerts are not my thing.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I notice the same thing. I rarely see them at concerts or plays too. What do educated black people like to do? Clubs and Hip hop concerts are not my thing.
Does the idea of going on a cruise ship appeal to you?
I've been hearing alot lately that some radio programs/dj's [heard mostly on XM Radio] and other popular personalities have been hosting cruises.
Even chances to win tickets. Guess it depends on what you like listening to. For instance, Comedian Lewis Black, 7 day Carribbean cruise in November 2011, Dr Dahlia Wachs [Medical Talk Show host] has been talking about one to Alaska [leaving from Seattle, WA], I think sometime in June of 2012. Also, try Googling 'Cool Jazz Cruise'. Looks like there's one every year.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Which cruise do black people not go to? I was on the Carnival cruise (by accident as there was no other option) and it was 65% black. I felt uncomfortable. Btw, white people on that cruise were not much better.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
It is also a culture thing. I like to go to big cities, museums, disney parks. Most of my white friends here in Texas have never been to new york or orlando or london or California. They spend lot of money in their boat, guns, camping gear but even after reaching age of 40-50 they still say that they cannot afford it.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM

28 posts, read 38,889 times
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why should the fact you don't see your own race featured in travel ads even matter? You know they don't select people for those ads to be representative. Think blacks are being ignored, try ugly people, or fat people. Yet I see plenty of fat uglies going on holiday .
Yes, you're right. I think I was simply trying to infer that I wouldn't mind seeing regular- looking folks in a vacation ad. The ads I see are almost intimidating to a boomer like me, as I haven't traveled(just re-started) in a long, long, while. I think--Wow, they're all young and hot in the ad; lets hope that's not all the place caters to? I think I'd like ads to be more representative of all races, ages, and body-types, that's all.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Why is being a tourist so uncommon among the African American Community? I understand that the Middle to Upper Class African American population of America is booming but they seem to be spending their money on something other than travel.

I travel in my job and see Airports and Hotels all over the country. I rarely see Black people on Airplanes or at Hotels. (yes there are some but maybe 1%)

When I travel to scenic areas, parks and museums I rarely see Black people. When I go to historic sites I do not see any black people.

Why is this true?
Moderator cut: see comment

everytime i was in a hotel i see other black people. the few times i been on an airplane there were other blacks in the plane too

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: There have been no racist comments made here - nor will they be, by you or anyone else!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
someone pointed me in the direction of this:

blacktravelwriters.org
UGOGURL.COM - Elaine Lee

seems interesting. personally, the ONLY thing keeping me from traveling is finances. I think there is a fear of encountering racism in other countries among some blacks who'd like to travel, but I know many who are simply hampered by the lack of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel