Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I usually go for a place that's cheap but AAA-approved. Now I know that AAA-approved doesn't mean that it's going to be spotless and beautiful, but I feel better knowing that at least one person went to the hotel and thought it was "good enough".
good advice. i would just go with a reputable chain. Unless your freinds want to kick in their share of the hotel then I say upgrade to 4 star. Hampton Inns, Courtyards, and Four Points are my choice when Im trying to be economical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Get your own room at the nice hotel and your friends can find their own lodgings. You don't say what age you are, but you are probably too old to be around people trashing rooms (I never understood that). If your friends don't want to stay at a nice hotel, you can always meet them somewhere.

Nice hotels have amenities that you will enjoy and maybe you will want to spend more time at the hotel, sans friends.
I agree..Additionally, You can be responsible for yourself and not be liable for damage someone else incurrs.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:51 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Im going to get a room next Friday night for me and 2 of my friends. Its just for 1 night..and the majority of the night we will be out paryting.

I would suggest a decent & secure hotel close to the areas/establishments you will be entertaining that evening.

It's always nice to be close by as the party ends. Sometimes the actual route taken to your room cannot be recalled the next day.

Make it easy and safe on yourself and your friends.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Personally, I use Hotwire/Priceline and pay Motel 6 prices for a 3* hotel, depending on the market.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 PM

242 posts, read 1,187,396 times
Default Should I get crappy motel or a nice hotel for 1 day?

LOL LOL... what a funny question! Find a cheaper hotel to stay in, you will save money and all hotels have to be clean or they be out of business.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,337 times
crappy, spend your money on other things. Gosh many times it's in at four and out by ten...

Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Crappy. Nice ones are too clinical. You can't beat the good old fashioned character of cockroaches, mysterious brown ceiling stains, exposed electrical wires (usually in the bathroom) and a one-legged man on the couch in the reception area.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 PM

699 posts, read 2,896,130 times
Use priceline and bid for a 2.5 or 3 star. You may just get it for $50 /$60.
depends on location and availability. It's worth a try.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
whatever you do, don't go too crappy.

I once got a hotel on the internet, I didn't know it would be so horrendous. DH was absolutely LIVID. I told him that we needed to get off our high horses, it was just three days, we're already here, we're hardly going to be in the room anyway, let's just stick it out.

We went out for the afternoon, evening, came back to go to bed. The pillows were horrible, and the absolute clincher for me was that the sheets were disgusting. you know, the cheapy cheapy ones that pill up and feel nasty. It was so gross, I didn't get a wink of sleep. I got up at 7, left DH and kids in room, marched to office and told the owner we needed to leave and we would also be needing our money back. he asked why, and I listed the 15 problems we had while being in the room for 2 hours (awake) and 7 hours (trying to sleep), ending with the part about the nasty sheets.

he gave me my money back and I literally ran back to the room, stormed through the door and shouted "GET UP, We are getting the HELL out of here" I felt like I'd been let out of prison. My DH couldn't understand the turnaround. (He is not quite as picky as I am with bedding, plus he had his pants on)

Anyway, we headed down the road and found a Quality inn with vacancy. It felt like the Ritz carlton after the other dump. (and we've stayed at the Ritz too--now that was something) There was a curved slide into the pool and my son couldn't get enough. It's the only part of our little "get away" he remembers.

Point is, never underestimate how bad a hotel can be...........just pay more.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 PM

699 posts, read 2,896,130 times
We use priceline several time a month and have always had top notch
accomodations. Really....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel