Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Las Vegas is another one. San Francisco, too (although 3 days there would never be enough for me). Portland, OR, is a good place to visit during the summer (weather and so many events).
We did San Fran/Napa a few years ago....three nights/four days....you can do that trip for $1K (without airfare). I would love to go back and this time spend more time in Napa. It all takes some research and planning but can be done on that budget. We stayed at a nice hotel in San Fran and a great B&B in Napa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Those places always skeeved me. I really wonder how well they clean between guests. I really doubt they sanitize the tub and shock the pool.
Sheesh! It was a suggestion! If you've never been there I really don't see how you can make such a statement! We've been there at least 7 times and have never had an unclean room. And the staff always goes out of their way to pamper the guests.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
That place is also old, and a flight from TX to PA costs $. That place was there when I got married 33 years ago.

A closer place for them would be Gatlinburg, TN. It has chalets with pools etc, and more to do than the Pocanos.

They can also go to the Alabama coast if they want a beach vacation.

Diane G
Just because a place is "old" doesn't mean it is bad. There are a lot of hotels in this country that are over 100 years old. There are a lot of things to do in the Poconos besides ski. The OP was asking for suggestions. I'm sorry my suggestion doesn't please everyone. To the OP, where ever you go I hope you have a great time.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Sheesh! It was a suggestion! If you've never been there I really don't see how you can make such a statement! We've been there at least 7 times and have never had an unclean room. And the staff always goes out of their way to pamper the guests.
Who said I haven't been there? We have been there, the room was dirty with a torn bedspread and stained carpet as we walked through the door. We turned around and checked out.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
We did San Fran/Napa a few years ago....three nights/four days....you can do that trip for $1K (without airfare). I would love to go back and this time spend more time in Napa. It all takes some research and planning but can be done on that budget. We stayed at a nice hotel in San Fran and a great B&B in Napa.
I think it would be really pushing it to spend three nights in the Napa S/F area, eat, rent a car, and pay tasting fees for $1000 unless you want to stay in a B&B with a shared bathroom in the hall, eat at the Taco truck, and only taste at the really low end places with bad wine.

You might be able to get away with it in the far less expensive Sonoma County.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Just because a place is "old" doesn't mean it is bad.
No kidding! Most of the accommodations in New Orleans (old hotels and B&Bs) are so OLD that, yes, most are a bit tired-looking. But that's part of the city's charm ~ knowing that you're staying in a piece of history in one our oldest cities. When I go there I always stay in a B&B that was constructed in the early-1800's. And while it's been renovated and clean, you can tell that it is very old, but I love the place.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
No kidding! Most of the accommodations in New Orleans (old hotels and B&Bs) are so OLD that, yes, most are a bit tired-looking. But that's part of the city's charm ~ knowing that you're staying in a piece of history in one our oldest cities. When I go there I always stay in a B&B that was constructed in the early-1800's. And while it's been renovated and clean, you can tell that it is very old, but I love the place.
But that's New Orleans. That is in the Pocanos in PA. Maybe because I was there so many times when I lived on the East Coast, I just found it BORING. I know my sister goes to one of those resorts all the time, only because her husband likes to go fishing there. She is bored to Death.
Now New Orleans, has charm, and so much to see. I just would not go there in Sept, lol-Hurricane Season.

Diane G

Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Since travel is included, $1000 would go a long way for me. Including rental car, gas, hotels, meals, and sightseeing I generally spend less than $200 a day when on vacation. As far as I am concerned the only difference between a $70/night hotel and a $250/night hotel is the lobby and resturants. I don't stay in a hotel just to sit in the lobby and can find a resturant that has better food for half the price. Thus I would stretch the weekend trip to 5 days and take a roadtrip thru the mountains in Montana.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
But that's New Orleans. That is in the Pocanos in PA. Maybe because I was there so many times when I lived on the East Coast, I just found it BORING. I know my sister goes to one of those resorts all the time, only because her husband likes to go fishing there. She is bored to Death.
Now New Orleans, has charm, and so much to see. I just would not go there in Sept, lol-Hurricane Season.

Diane G
That's like the little islands off Washington, like Friday Harbor. It really appeals to some people but I'd be bored to death. Not for me.

Yep, I'd say it's a good month to avoid N.O. In fact, I went to NYC in late-Sept to Oct last year, thinking it was the perfect time weatherwise to be there, and I got caught in the Nor'easter Storm. Poured buckets off 'n' on for several days.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Vegas totally! You can do it on $500.00, stay at a cheap hotel and walk the strip and get free drinks and eat all all your can eat places...and they even pass out free comedy shows and other shows. Of course not the big headliner shows. But, what the heck it's vegas for less then $1K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel