Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 AM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Egypt, but I've met several people who have, and it seems that travelers had one of two extremes: either they had the most amazing experience of their lives in Egypt, or they got ripped off and treated terribly and hated Egypt with every fiber of their being. An Australian girl I met who'd spent 2 months there cautioned: don't drink the water! No really, DON'T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Just in case, you haven't checked, here are the vaccination and medical recommendations for travel to Egypt and elsewhere:

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destin...ica/egypt.html

If you think you'll go out of major cities, I highly recommend you take some prophylactic malaria treatment.

I am getting itchy feet! And snoring doesn't bother me!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
I haven't been to Egypt, but I've met several people who have, and it seems that travelers had one of two extremes: either they had the most amazing experience of their lives in Egypt, or they got ripped off and treated terribly and hated Egypt with every fiber of their being. An Australian girl I met who'd spent 2 months there cautioned: don't drink the water! No really, DON'T!
That's what I have heard as well. It's a love it or hate it sort of place. Egypt is one of those countries like India in that in evokes passionate reactions either positive or negative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Just in case, you haven't checked, here are the vaccination and medical recommendations for travel to Egypt and elsewhere:

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destin...ica/egypt.html (broken link)

If you think you'll go out of major cities, I highly recommend you take some prophylactic malaria treatment.

I am getting itchy feet! And snoring doesn't bother me!
I actually hadn't checked the vaccination and medical recommendations so thank you so much for the link.

I'm sort of going to chance a lot of things on this trip. The whole idea of this trip was very last minute. I'm about to move and settle down in a place for at least a little bit and it's been awhile since I've been abroad, and my job ended the other week and my friend has been pestering me to visit him in Israel for the longest time, so it seems as if the timing was just perfect, or as perfect as it ever could be, so I decided to take advantage of it. I'll bring some of the standard portable First Aid sort of things: band aids, hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes, toilet paper, aspirin, an ice pack, anti-diarrhea medication, etc. but I think it's too late for me to get any sort of vaccine.

I just bought my plane tickets today. I'm officially going and now panic has somewhat set in just with all that I have to do prior to leaving. I'm a little worried that I may be just doing too much in the next six weeks or so just with this vacation, a wedding I'm attending immediately upon coming back, finding another job and moving and such. It's a lot to take on. So if I'm not on as much in the next month, you all will know why.

Anyways, as far as trip-related stuff goes, I'm a little bit worried that I won't be able to go to Egypt or Jordan at all and will be "stuck" in Israel for my entire time. It's not a bad place to be stuck by any means, but I was just really hoping to be able to get to both Egypt and Jordan. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if two weeks is enough time. I wanted to do three initially but because I procrastinated for so long in buying tickets, it wasn't an option. Both Egypt and Jordan require visas for Americans but since I'm not 100% certain I'll make it to both countries, I've decided that I will purchase them if need be at the borders while over there. I think I'll have to pick one country or the other rather than both. I'm thinking my best shot at Egypt would be to fly straight into Cairo, see the Pyramids, and then leave the next day. We'll see though. I've got the tickets which is the most important thing. It seems as if Israel and Egypt aren't quite as friendly to the spontaneous traveler as Europe is in that many youth hostels and bus passes require 24 hour (at least) notice so I may not be able to be quite as gypsy-like as I normally am.

I have a 13 hour in Amsterdam as well which is sort of cool. I've been there before but it'll be a nice place to break up my trip and walk around for a bit.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:28 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
A lot of flights to Cairo go thru Dubai too. You might have time there as well.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
I hate to be the one to say this but..... Make sure that you prepare a will. You never know what could happen and the probate process is a nightmare. With that said, I wish you lots of luck and happiness.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
DnB, you may find that 2 weeks is just enough to see Israel and that you may want to make another trip (or many) to Jordon, Egypt and even Syria.

I wasn't too, too disappointed that with 3+ weeks I only managed most of Israel, and just the outskirts of Jordon on my visit. I've never thought I had enough time on most of my trips, except for one long summer trip that provided me with the luxury of choice.

Sounds like lots of changes for you, and I wish you all the best in each!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 PM

So I wasn't too happy to wake up this morning and read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians (broken link)

It would figure that things would act up again right before I head over. I'm hoping things stay quiet for the next three weeks over there. Well, I hope things stay quiet over there forever, but you know what I mean....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice
I hate to be the one to say this but..... Make sure that you prepare a will. You never know what could happen and the probate process is a nightmare. With that said, I wish you lots of luck and happiness.
That's good general advice, but not really applicable to me since I own nothing. I don't think there's going to be much infighting in my family on who gets which old Nintendo game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
DnB, you may find that 2 weeks is just enough to see Israel and that you may want to make another trip (or many) to Jordon, Egypt and even Syria.
That's what I'm telling myself, but it's coming up on four years since I last left the U.S. so I'm wondering just how long it'd be before I wound up back in that part of the world, hence why I'm trying to cram so much in.
Quote:
I wasn't too, too disappointed that with 3+ weeks I only managed most of Israel, and just the outskirts of Jordon on my visit. I've never thought I had enough time on most of my trips, except for one long summer trip that provided me with the luxury of choice.
That's true. It always seems like from the trips I've taken that I have to cut off something at some point due to lack of time. I'm definitely looking forward to Israel and think of the three countries it has the most for me to see, as well as being the most tourist-friendly of the countries of the Middle East, but I still hope to squeeze in another country. It's looking like I may have to "settle" for Jordan though, as much as I want to see the Pyramids. I'll know the situation better when I get over there and see firsthand, but it just seems far quicker and easier to get to Jordan than Egypt. I was pleased however to find a bus that goes from Tel Aviv to Cairo, then displeased to learn that it takes 10 hours each way. Jordan meanwhile, is right there. I'm sort of loosely planning my trip at the moment trying to think of how I want to do this and at what point I want to make my attempt to see Jordan/Egypt. So far, I have my first night in Tel Aviv and the next two visiting my friend in Haifa. After that, I'm unsure. I might head to northern Israel and into Jordan, or may go back to Tel Aviv. I'll figure things out.
Quote:
Sounds like lots of changes for you, and I wish you all the best in each!
Thanks! I'll still be on here in the coming days and weeks when I'm making my life changes, just not as much. It's generally a relaxing de-stresser to come on here which is needed considering all the stress I'm under. I'll definitely report back here after my trip as well, maybe posting some pics as well if I get around to it and figure out how to.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
So I wasn't too happy to wake up this morning and read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians (broken link)

It would figure that things would act up again right before I head over. I'm hoping things stay quiet for the next three weeks over there. Well, I hope things stay quiet over there forever, but you know what I mean....
I wouldn't worry too much about this, especially since it's in the Gaza Strip area. I had friends that were in Israel during the war last summer with Hezbola in Lebanon and they never could even tell there were any hostilities going on. Of course you're probably going up north for a visit, but I doubt you'll be going anywhere near Gaza which is a very small area down by the Egyptian border and is far from most main Israeli cities. You'll love Israel, don't worry.

See this map for a good view: https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/is.html (broken link)

Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,498 times
Israel is easy to travel in though in the North it helps if you rent a car. There are buses between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem to Cairo. Here are some links related to tours, look at the itineraries and you might get some ideas of where to go.

www.israel-guides.netis (broken link) a tour guide portal.

http://www.gemsinisrael.com/tourtypes.html has short tours too.

http://www.isram.com/isram/index.htm is a well known provider of tours.

Last edited by alros; 04-27-2007 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Hey guys. I have a quick question. What do you think I should do as far as carrying money is concerned? When I backpacked through Europe, I would wear a money belt underneath my clothes where I would store a large sum of money (say, $300 at a time) and then each day, take out around $40 or so and put it in my pant pocket as this would be my money for the day so that therefore, I wouldn't have to reach into my money belt during the day in public (my money belt was worn under my pants, but over my underwear, so showing up at a museum and realizing I didn't have enough pocket money and then saying "hold on" as I dive hand-first into the front of my pants, isn't exactly the most cooth of behavior). Then, once the money belt money was drained, I'd go to an ATM to take out another large sum, taking out large sums to minimize my times at ATMs since I incurred a fee with each withdrawal as my bank does not exist abroad. I'm thinking of doing the same in Israel. Of taking out one large lump sum, something like $500 which I think should last me the duration of my trip, sticking maybe $400 in a money belt, having maybe $50 in my pocket for each day and then maybe hiding $50 in my backpack or a tour book or something for an emergency. The only problem with the money belt situation is in going to the beach. You can't wear a money belt in the water and considering the fact that for the bulk of my trip, I'll be staying at youth hostels as opposed to actual hotels, I'm not very comfortable leaving it in my room either, nor of course, on the actual beach as I swim.

I haven't decided if I'm going to bring my wallet yet. My wallet is large and bulky. The last time I went to Europe, I brought only a few forms of ID from my wallet, my credit card, ATM/debit card and my passport, and stored them all in my money belt, along with my rail pass and other important documents. While I didn't think about it until this very second, part of me wonders whether for this trip, or more likely future trips, if I should open up an account with Citibank so as to have access to my own account at my own bank anywhere in the world.

Any recommendations?

For the record, I'm leaving Tuesday afternoon. Panic time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel