Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your airplane seating preference and why?
Window - I like to be left alone 22 17.32%
Window - I like to look out the window and enjoy the view as much as possible 57 44.88%
Window - other 10 7.87%
Middle - I hate the aisle and the window 1 0.79%
Middle - if it means sitting next to a spouse/friend/family member, I prefer it 3 2.36%
Middle - other 0 0%
Aisle - I hate to see out the window, I'm afraid of flying/heights 1 0.79%
Aisle - I like to be able to get up whenever possible; maybe claustrophobic; access to go to bathroom 32 25.20%
Aisle - other 19 14.96%
I have no seating preference whatsoever, wherever they seat me is fine 4 3.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times

Advertisements

Feel free to elaborate with a post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

I LOVE the window seat. I love to look out the window as much as possible and watch the earth. I am not afraid at all of flying or heights. I also prefer it because I am not bothered by anyone in there, and I avoid needing the bathroom on a flight so I usually don't have a concern about getting out, since I usually don't need to. If I do, it's usually just once, and I have no problem asking people to let me out and back in (even if they cop an attitude, screw them, the jerks).

If I can't get a window, I want the aisle, because I hate to be between two people. I'm not obese and spilling into their seats, but I'm a pretty stocky guy and maybe more a problem with my shoulders being broad than my rear (I fit between armrests no problem, lol). When I'm between two people, they tend to sit upright and crowd me. When I'm on the aisle or window I tend to lean AWAY from the person in the middle to give him or her as much personal space as possible, just out of doing for them what I'd want done for me. So, if I can't get the window, I want the aisle, at least to have some room for myself and give the middle person room.

Also, I'm not a jerk about getting up. If I fall asleep and the person inside needs me to move so they can get out to go to the bathroom, I gladly wake up and move and I don't cop any attitude. I don't want someone to feel bad for just wanting to get out, nobody deserves that and I hate when people have done that to me. So I believe by getting the aisle I'm more reasonable than a lot of others are in that I give the middle person a little more room and I know I'm going to be kind to the others in my row when they need to get out. Even if it aggravates me, I don't let it show, I smile and let them out and I try to not let them feel bad about it.

But nothing beats the window.

The worst, to me, is when someone wants the window so he can close all the shades and just sleep. What a waste! Sleep in the aisle or middle seat, don't waste the view!!! Ugh, that kills me!

And of course, it is better when there is no person in the middle, but nothing beats having the whole row to yourself!

Except one thing - having your row and the row on the other side to yourself!!!

Many a flight to Vegas, I would get a row in the back on a half empty plane, and as we flew over the Rockies and into the desert and over Grand Canyon, I could get up and walk to the other side and check out the view there as well... that's just the best! Better than First Class!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I love being by the window and trying to pick out geographical features.

Memories I have include New York especially seeing all of Manhatten, the Grand Canyon, Greenland, the Alps and so many others.

At night it's fun to work out where you are by looking for clues such as cities all lit up.

I love maps and looking out of the window is like looking at one great moving map- bliss! The Atlantic and high cloud are pretty boring though!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I love being by the window and trying to pick out geographical features.

Memories I have include New York especially seeing all of Manhatten, the Grand Canyon, Greenland, the Alps and so many others.

At night it's fun to work out where you are by looking for clues such as cities all lit up.

I love maps and looking out of the window is like looking at one great moving map- bliss! The Atlantic and high cloud are pretty boring though!
lol, you sound like a freak like me, who looks at maps in his spare time just for fun! I can't get enough of my maps, and googlemaps and that stuff.

I do the same thing - I have seen NY many times (I always fly out of NJ or NY), the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, the Rocky Mountains, and other things which are amazing to see! The Great Lakes are the best, it looks just like a map, but it's the real thing! And yes, at night I look at the bright patches and try to figure out what city it is. It's like, "OK, now that was Memphis, so that one coming up could be Fort Wayne, and that brighter one in the distance could be Cincy - or Columbus maybe? Oh, wait, there's the lake, it's gotta be Cleveland...." lol I love doing that!

The only thing that ruins that is when you get that stupid cloud cover!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM

32 posts, read 123,508 times
i prefur the window!!! its soooo cool to look down and see all the stuff from teh plane. the window seats teh only seat i like on a plane.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
TeeHee- we'll all be fighting for the window seat!

To show why I go for that seat here is a photo I took last year. It's of Mount Teide which is on the island of Tenerife. It's the highest mountain on Spanish soil and the third largest volcano in the world.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
I notice that most people who have the window seat do not even bother to look out even when we are landing. Are they afraid to look or are they just not curious what the area looks like?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,338 times
Window all the time and hopefully not over a wing!

Like so many others, I love to look at mother earth and especially coastlines. I often think what it may be like to live in a certain place, e.g. a small island with only a handful of homes. I also love to identify places I've been before.

The most perfect flight ever was Munich - Miami at the end of May. Plane was less than half full and DH and I had the whole back for ourselves. We went to sleep in two adjacent middle rows, and after we had crossed the Atlantic Ocean, I went from left to right and back again to look at the coastline. I'll never get tired of it.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM

110 posts, read 375,634 times
I always pick a window seat. So far not any really good views as I only fly from NC to OH and back.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Window as you can lean into it with pillow to try and catch a nap
you also have control over the shade..lol

If can't get window then aisle would be my next choice with middle a no no
I'd rather sit aisle with hubbie across from me in the aisle seat or one of us be window and one aisle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel