Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 AM

469 posts, read 2,738,156 times

Advertisements

I was tear gassed during a riot in Istanbul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,908,108 times
I went over to the UK for 6 months, left on holiday to Tunisia to satisfy the immigration requirement and when I came back they denied me entry. I was deported a week later.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,304,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I went over to the UK for 6 months, left on holiday to Tunisia to satisfy the immigration requirement and when I came back they denied me entry. I was deported a week later.
Interesting, I thought you could stay in the UK for 6 months as a tourist...

I was there for 3 months but I didn't try to leave and come back again.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:59 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,565,734 times
An all night train ride on Amtrak in a small sleeper car. It was very hot outside, the air conditioning wasn't working, my daughter "took a dump" in the toilet and then we found out the vacuum system that controls the flushing didn't work... all night and the next morning in the sleeper compartment with the heat and that "stuff" sitting in the toilet...

Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,753,206 times
Flying through tornadoes to and from Chicago at both ends of the same trip.

Made me nervous about flying for years.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 AM

133 posts, read 629,912 times
Besides a flight delay in Athens greece, which was a nightmare, my experiences in US airports are the worst!!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,908,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Interesting, I thought you could stay in the UK for 6 months as a tourist...

I was there for 3 months but I didn't try to leave and come back again.
I was there for 6 months already but I wanted to stay another 6 months. They could have let me in, but they chose not to. They called it a "grey" area where immigration can pretty much do whatever they think is best.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,235,657 times
Ohh, where to begin. I was in Lebanon last summer when all hell broke loose. I should be going to bed soon, so I'll make this short.

Was having a fun time with family and friends in Beirut when the bombing started. The airport was the first to go, and I was like "the airport's destroyed, how in the world am I going to get back to the states?"

Then me and the folks I was staying with moved up to the mountains when things got even more hairy around the city. A little reprieve, but made the mistake of thinking that it's over. We returned to the city to find half of their building gone, and the bombing started again but was a little more distant. We returned to the mountains, and the bombing was getting more intense. It was when we heard that Israel was planning a "large scale invasion". It was that moment, those words, when I knew that we were in deep sh*t if we didn't do something NOW.

Me and my cousins borrowed their family car but they didn't want us to go beyond a small town in the mountains. So we arrived there and dropped it off at their family friend's place, but even then we had nowhere to go. Bombing in distance...

Then someone tells us that the air bases will be bombed so that no one can get out. Upon finding this out, I went ahead and found an abandoned car on a back road. My cousins looked at me like what are you doing? I told them to get in while I hot-wired the thing. I didn't know what I was doing and I almost electrocuted myself while doing it, but it worked!

So we threw our things in, and I put the pedal to the metal to hightail it to the northern lebanon - syrian border. The base was still intact and we didn't hear any planes overhead, so we decided to go for it. Lots of people were fleeing across the border, and we finally crossed it without too much hassle (luckily). Then a minute or two after driving away from the border, we hear a deafening thunderous blast and felt a gust of searing hot wind. The base that we had JUST passed was destroyed in an air strike. We missed it by only 1-2 minutes.

none of us said a word to each other as I drove north towards Turkey, and we ran out of gas. We took out our bags and tried to hitchhike. No one would take us, and we were getting pretty cranky because of the heat and we didn't have much water. It wasn't until late evening when a bus came, and took us on. We went to the US embassy in Istanbul and told them what happened. After a little haggling over paperwork and phone calls, they put us on a plane to London. Then I went to an internet cafe at the airport and emailed friends and family back home telling them that we're safe and would be home soon.

It was hell and I was so glad to be back home!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:37 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,304,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Ohh, where to begin. I was in Lebanon last summer when all hell broke loose. I should be going to bed soon, so I'll make this short.

Was having a fun time with family and friends in Beirut when the bombing started. The airport was the first to go, and I was like "the airport's destroyed, how in the world am I going to get back to the states?"

Then me and the folks I was staying with moved up to the mountains when things got even more hairy around the city. A little reprieve, but made the mistake of thinking that it's over. We returned to the city to find half of their building gone, and the bombing started again but was a little more distant. We returned to the mountains, and the bombing was getting more intense. It was when we heard that Israel was planning a "large scale invasion". It was that moment, those words, when I knew that we were in deep sh*t if we didn't do something NOW.

Me and my cousins borrowed their family car but they didn't want us to go beyond a small town in the mountains. So we arrived there and dropped it off at their family friend's place, but even then we had nowhere to go. Bombing in distance...

Then someone tells us that the air bases will be bombed so that no one can get out. Upon finding this out, I went ahead and found an abandoned car on a back road. My cousins looked at me like what are you doing? I told them to get in while I hot-wired the thing. I didn't know what I was doing and I almost electrocuted myself while doing it, but it worked!

So we threw our things in, and I put the pedal to the metal to hightail it to the northern lebanon - syrian border. The base was still intact and we didn't hear any planes overhead, so we decided to go for it. Lots of people were fleeing across the border, and we finally crossed it without too much hassle (luckily). Then a minute or two after driving away from the border, we hear a deafening thunderous blast and felt a gust of searing hot wind. The base that we had JUST passed was destroyed in an air strike. We missed it by only 1-2 minutes.

none of us said a word to each other as I drove north towards Turkey, and we ran out of gas. We took out our bags and tried to hitchhike. No one would take us, and we were getting pretty cranky because of the heat and we didn't have much water. It wasn't until late evening when a bus came, and took us on. We went to the US embassy in Istanbul and told them what happened. After a little haggling over paperwork and phone calls, they put us on a plane to London. Then I went to an internet cafe at the airport and emailed friends and family back home telling them that we're safe and would be home soon.

It was hell and I was so glad to be back home!
Now thats an amazing story...I am sorry for your family in Beirut that they are going through this. We used to have family friends who were from Beirut and they spoke of hiding in the mountains as well.

Like my Mother always used to say ...you could write a book.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,235,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am sorry for your family in Beirut that they are going through this. We used to have family friends who were from Beirut and they spoke of hiding in the mountains as well.

Like my Mother always used to say ...you could write a book.
I appreciate that, and they are all fine and safe now. you know, I've sometimes thought about writing a book...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel