Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM

237 posts, read 411,544 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm not a wine person nor vinter, but curious about life in Yakima, Tri-Cities, Walla Walla region.

Are vineyards like other farms... always importing fertilizer and having a cloud of agri-chemicals over them all the time?

So how is life in these areas?

As an aside, despite not being a wine person, would be curious about the wine biz. The processes, methods, etc. seem interesting. (Took a side interest in it after dabbling with sour dough bread starters. Yeast based food processes just seem interesting to me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Wineries are somewhat like farms in that they take up a certain land area for growing. The industry in the larger wineries is supplying retail with their product, and there is plenty of that in and around Tri-Cities/Walla Walla. The sub-industry is "wine tourism", where wineries (some large, some not so large), offer an on-site retail store that offers wine tasting and of course, bottles to be sold. The most successful wineries do both. The "Wine Tourism" sector has been growing the fastest in the region, and today there are over 200 wineries within an hour of Tri-Cities.

Here is a good article on the industry in the area:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...try/index.html

Old 03-13-2019, 12:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I wasn't into wine when I first moved here, but I got into it, no regrets.

You may broaden your culinary horizons as well, or not. If you are not into wine, it's not like that makes you a social pariah.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I wasn't into wine when I first moved here, but I got into it, no regrets.

You may broaden your culinary horizons as well, or not. If you are not into wine, it's not like that makes you a social pariah.
I wasn't worried about the social aspects so much. Made yeast carbonated sparkling beverages as an experiment in the kitchen a few years back for fun. (Was a side trip into fermentation after fussing with sourdough bread, LOL!)

Were I more ambitious and wealthy, the idea of starting a brand of beverage actually appeals to me. But probably, realistically, not in this life time.

I was more curious if it was like living near a feed lot or a corn farm in Iowa... which is to say, lots of agg chemicals and manure in the air at all times?

Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
I wasn't worried about the social aspects so much. Made yeast carbonated sparkling beverages as an experiment in the kitchen a few years back for fun. (Was a side trip into fermentation after fussing with sourdough bread, LOL!)

Were I more ambitious and wealthy, the idea of starting a brand of beverage actually appeals to me. But probably, realistically, not in this life time.

I was more curious if it was like living near a feed lot or a corn farm in Iowa... which is to say, lots of agg chemicals and manure in the air at all times?

Well the dairies and feed lots around here smell about the same as those in Iowa or anywhere else. But the wind grape vineyards don't smell, except to smell sweet in flowering time and near harvest. I have seen tree fruit being sprayed with some sort of pesticide that is potent enough that the guy riding the tractor was dressed in what looked like a space suit, helmet and all. They don't do that so often, you can just close windows when they are spraying.

Some buddies of mine have made their own beer on and off. They tell me that they can make a really tasty beer every time, but it's always a little different, can't make a consistent tasting brew. While most who have tried to make their own wine said they were doing well if it was as "good" as Mad Dog.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well the dairies and feed lots around here smell about the same as those in Iowa or anywhere else. But the wind grape vineyards don't smell, except to smell sweet in flowering time and near harvest. I have seen tree fruit being sprayed with some sort of pesticide that is potent enough that the guy riding the tractor was dressed in what looked like a space suit, helmet and all. They don't do that so often, you can just close windows when they are spraying.

Some buddies of mine have made their own beer on and off. They tell me that they can make a really tasty beer every time, but it's always a little different, can't make a consistent tasting brew. While most who have tried to make their own wine said they were doing well if it was as "good" as Mad Dog.
Yes, that was my experience with sparkling beverages... inconsistent results. But then I hadn't learned much about it at that time either. I imagine once one learns how to do it correctly, consistency comes with knowing the real industrial processes that commercial producers use.

From what I've read, trying for a consistent product is something wineries do worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities