Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am really not sure of what you mean takeahike. That there is more crime because of cell phone and computers? Or in spite of them?
I hardly think that the good old days were all that good.Victorian times were rife with poisoning murders, axe murderers baby farmers and seriel killers. Not to mention lynchings and child abuse that were widely accepted as 'normal'
There is nothing new under the sun. Just check out the bible!
What I think I said--not sure--was that in general communities were more close knit--overly involved in each other's business as far as I was concerned.
Always dangerous to generalize. The country wasn't as developed --the radio was the primary source of news/communication until the 50's. There weren't as many people --therefore less crime.
Certainly, some people were capable of deviancy then--as people have always been capable of crime--I don't think it was as easy to have contact with a child. That would be in 'small town USA'--in the larger cities with high immigrant populations --every sort of abuse of children went on. Turn of the century NYC--the Godfather--San Francisco--anything and everything went on.
This case I learned is in Portland--perhaps a suburb--I suppose in the back of my mind I thought--small town and then went on from there.

So today's news--Step mom has to move out--by the weekend or Monday. Dad won't give her $ to move until she talks to police. So around they go.
I think her sister lives there--so perhaps she won't have to live in a cardboard box--if she does then she can be arrested for vagrancy--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Takeahike I understand where you get your feelings that things were more simple and sweet in the good old days, but is simply not true. Historical Sociologists have studied The Family for a long time now, using a vast body of data collected across time.
The myth of this idyllic family life in the 50s and earlier is just that a myth. Mortality rates in the early half of the 20th C and before, render the idea of big extended families a pipe dream. So many women died during childbirth and few grandparents were around to see or to be involved in the life of a grandchild. People minded their own business. Many families were blended due to the early death of the ,mother who was fast replaced by a step mother - to continue the childbearing for the man of the house.
Getting involved in the problems of a neighbor family was SO not the norm. Harsh discipline of both children and insubordinate wives was the norm.If anyone heard a child cry out at night-they assumed that the child deserved it.

If you have rhe interest Tamera K. Hareven, PhD , did some extensive research about families.Very well researched.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Historical Sociologists have studied The Family for a long time now, using a vast body of data collected across time.
The myth of this idyllic family life in the 50s and earlier is just that a myth. Mortality rates in the early half of the 20th C and before, render the idea of big extended families a pipe dream. .
Thanks, I need to be focused on the future.

I have read enough to have a general idea of how difficult life has been for many for centuries.

What is going on today is unbelievable whatever the reasons--which would be the same reasons people have always chosen 'revenge' or cruelty.

?? The father says --was quoted as saying--he wants to be back in his house this weekend--should Kyron return. Emphatic that stepmom arranged his disappearance and that he is alive.

What am I now to assume--there was a major issue between the parents in the home--possibly divorce had been mentioned--and this was her way of punishing her husband.
It would be nice to know more up front.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
Haven't heard any more about this case in awhile (Lindsay Lohan seems to have overtaken the airways....yikes!).

Any news...this poor child has been gone way too long.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Haven't heard any more about this case in awhile (Lindsay Lohan seems to have overtaken the airways....yikes!).

Any news...this poor child has been gone way too long.
They estimate that the cost will exceed $1 million. LE made a request for $440,000 for specialized technical experts and related services.

Staggering financially. How communities find the money for all that accompanies such crimes.
I saw a post/article--can't recall--that in Oakland residents are now being told that due to lack of funding there are 40 or more incidents which they can expect no on scene investigation.
I imagine my own district has a similar list---the local news was discouraging.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
They estimate that the cost will exceed $1 million. LE made a request for $440,000 for specialized technical experts and related services.

Staggering financially. How communities find the money for all that accompanies such crimes.
I saw a post/article--can't recall--that in Oakland residents are now being told that due to lack of funding there are 40 or more incidents which they can expect no on scene investigation.
I imagine my own district has a similar list---the local news was discouraging.
maybe it wouldn't have cost so much if they stopped treating step-mom w/kid gloves; strapped her in an interrogation chair for about 24 hours and grilled her non-stop.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
maybe it wouldn't have cost so much if they stopped treating step-mom w/kid gloves; strapped her in an interrogation chair for about 24 hours and grilled her non-stop.
It must be so hard to be involved in these investigations.

I know that 'the tail is now wagging the dog'--the least 'human' of society have made 'the rest of us' suspect the worst of each other.

I suppose I am fortunate. I once encountered a divorced man who had relocated from Ohio. He turned out to be quite bizarre--using 2 names/SS #'s --the exwife's unreasonable demands for alimony/child support. Within 2 months I 'knew'. That ended that. He harassed me for a while but I convinced him he could choose to cease and desist or prepare for legal consequences.
I hope this child is found unharmed. School will be starting soon.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
They had something On good morning america this morning about some woman needs to come forward and if she does not they will put a warrent out for her arrest . I did not catch the name I was busy in the kitchen . I do believe that the stepmom and some of her co horts have done something with this sweet faced little boy and he trusted them and I do hope he is still alive .
Yes this case must be so hard for investigators because god knows what I would do to that woman . As my husband likes to nick name me the terminator . God I pray every night that they find this little boy alive .

Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
They had something On good morning america this morning about some woman needs to come forward and if she does not they will put a warrent out for her arrest . I did not catch the name I was busy in the kitchen . I do believe that the stepmom and some of her co horts have done something with this sweet faced little boy and he trusted them and I do hope he is still alive .
Yes this case must be so hard for investigators because god knows what I would do to that woman . As my husband likes to nick name me the terminator . God I pray every night that they find this little boy alive .

'Why?'
Just how filled with hate/hostility do you have to be to design such a plot.
I hope they can find this child.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Really? I'll have to google that. So the plot thickens. Someone,somewhere knows something!!! Bring out the waterboard!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime