Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,520 times

Advertisements

Both the U.S & U.K are countries who kill alot at war...

I feel bad for the British, they get no respect globally...

The British people have been bossed around forever by a queen with a sceptre.

Could anything be more demoralising?

That is the culture I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post

The ghettos and housing projects are more dangerous then 3rd world countries.
Im not saying you are right or wrong. But do you have something to back up your claim or or you basing this on personnel exerpience. Just curious

Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The crime level here is ridiculous, but we go out of our way to make it look far worse than it is. Every news story is about what's going wrong and every case example is always taken as proof that this or that type of crime is "on the rise." In fact, violent crime has been dropping year after year while scare stories about crime in the news have gone up, and this is an accurate figure based on research studies, 600%.

All kinds of things are going right and you never hear about them. Look what Rudy Giuliani did for New York City in just a few years, by changing the way the police work. One of the biggest, busiest cities in the world has changed from a horrifying crime pit to a safe place to take your kids on vacation. When's the last time you heard a news story about THAT?
Actually, the drop in crime has happened all over the nation, except perhaps, Mexican drug cartel related crimes.

There is a correlation with the law legalizing abortion and crime starting its drop about 17 years later. The thought is that unwanted male children were no longer brought into the world, causing crime to drop. One of the biggest predictor of crime is a single parent household with a male child.

We should not lose sight of the fact that after 911 there was a large influx of federal law enforcement in New York City, chasing out drug gangs and cleaning up crooked police.
Giuliani just happened to be in power at the time.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's mostly media rhetoric, particularly with the foreign press. It's feed by movies, TV, and our own citizens misconception. Just like any big cities, in any country, we have good areas and bad areas. The good areas, which are fortunetly most of the US, are almost absent of crime. The bad areas can be really bad.

But this will wake you up, based on some statistics, the UK has a violent crime rate 5 times higher than the US.
The numbers can be argued with, but there is no doubt, guns or not, crime is an issue in UK. But, I guess, gangster movies set in the UK don't get much box office.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online
I know in the US, different police departments report crime differently. I know that a small town that I live in, with the local paper picking up crime as reported on the police blotter, just totally overlooked a local woman who was followed home from a mall where she had been shopping, and robbed and assaulted as she left her car to open the garage door.

If you compare crime stats (for retirement purposes, perhaps) of various cities in the US you will get some VERY distorted views depending on how honestly the crimes have been logged by police. It is a major problem here, as there is no requirement or methodology in place by the federal government.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM

455 posts, read 633,169 times
Crime rates in the U.S have never been lower ! Americans are naive and self-righteous.Not to mention we have the largest police force, enforcing EVERYTHING ! Any arrest is a good arrest !

Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

The royal family are there to do a lot of the non political duties that most politicians loath because it takes them away from the job and is just so much fluff. They do not rule.

Many believe that the tourism dollars generated by the pomp of royalty in England are well worth their upkeep.

Pretty much they flit from one place to another schmoozing people and being polite and diplomatic. Personally, I think it's a crap job that most people would shortly tire of.

The one good thing about them is that the people separate the veneration for a figurehead from the Prime Minister. They criticize whomever is in that position a whole lot because they don't have the same respect for the office. It's just a job.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma153 View Post
I have always wondered what the americans think of britain mostly the crime and if they think it is a safe place to live.
I am interested in american life and would like to visit one day as i am fascinated by the culture and the way of life but it seems like the media puts a ''bad'' image of america due to crime, for example it is meant to produce the most serial killers in the world, all the gang crime, child murders etc, is it really that bad or is it just made worse by the media???

Any opions welcome

It is made way worse by the media cause it is so rare. Only worry about gangs if you hang out around them. Why don't people ever say is their a lot of car crashes or people with cancer in America? Cause that is so common here, it never makes the news unless it is a celebrity.

http://danger.mongabay.com/causes_of_death.htm

Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The royal family are there to do a lot of the non political duties that most politicians loath because it takes them away from the job and is just so much fluff. They do not rule.

Many believe that the tourism dollars generated by the pomp of royalty in England are well worth their upkeep.

Pretty much they flit from one place to another schmoozing people and being polite and diplomatic. Personally, I think it's a crap job that most people would shortly tire of.

The one good thing about them is that the people separate the veneration for a figurehead from the Prime Minister. They criticize whomever is in that position a whole lot because they don't have the same respect for the office. It's just a job.
The Royal Family stand for everything that is wrong with the world today...

It gets no worse then that type of imperialism...

Shame on the people of the U.K to allow that...

To think otherwise would be to lack intelligence...

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The Royal Family stand for everything that is wrong with the world today...

It gets no worse then that type of imperialism...

Shame on the people of the U.K to allow that...

To think otherwise would be to lack intelligence...
Please excuse my lack of intelligence. You obviously know so much more than I, but could you please specifically name what they are actually doing now that you find so despicable?

Generally, the queen does good will tours and schmoozing, freeing up the PM to do the actual work. She commands no one but her household staff which can quit any time they please.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:

Uh... the queen is obsolete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime