Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2020, 07:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,588 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I watched about 24 minutes of the clip, and the number of red flags that go up about Peterson's behavior and actions is astounding. However, I didn't follow this case closely.
I think you summed it up exactly.

The number of red flags is astounding; but it isn't until the 30 minute mark that they announce he's having an affair with a mistress.

When you know that, and look at it through that lens, that explains all the weirdness. All the evasiveness. All the hiding from the press.

He was trying to maintain this relationship without her knowing, and meanwhile he was literally in the WORLD WIDE media spotlight.

He is a cad, and a philanderer, and a con man. That comes out loud and clear.

But that doesn't mean he killed his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 11:34 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think you summed it up exactly.

The number of red flags is astounding; but it isn't until the 30 minute mark that they announce he's having an affair with a mistress.

When you know that, and look at it through that lens, that explains all the weirdness. All the evasiveness. All the hiding from the press.

He was trying to maintain this relationship without her knowing, and meanwhile he was literally in the WORLD WIDE media spotlight.

Chris Watts is a cad as well. He had a girlfriend, but that doesn't mean he killed his wife. We can set aside the girlfriend issue that is presented by defence counsel as a reason to doubt guilt, and focus on the evidence that does support guilt.

The courts upheld the conviction in August 2020. There is evidence, independent of being a cad, that conclusively resulted in a guilty verdict for Chris Watts and Scott Peterson. My understanding is that the only point to reconsider is whether the death penalty was a fair decision. The prosecution intends to argue again that it is the correct decision. If Scott is given life in prison rather than death penalty, it really doesn't make any difference.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Chris Watts is a cad as well. He had a girlfriend, but that doesn't mean he killed his wife. We can set aside the girlfriend issue that is presented by defence counsel as a reason to doubt guilt, and focus on the evidence that does support guilt.

The courts upheld the conviction in August 2020. There is evidence, independent of being a cad, that conclusively resulted in a guilty verdict for Chris Watts and Scott Peterson. My understanding is that the only point to reconsider is whether the death penalty was a fair decision. The prosecution intends to argue again that it is the correct decision. If Scott is given life in prison rather than death penalty, it really doesn't make any difference.
I 100% think Chis Watts is guilty and I’m about 50/50 on Scott Peterson. All based upon the evidence.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:16 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:

Yet before the affair is ever revealed in the clip, his behavior, his actions, and his statements (e.g. that she's "missing," well before it would be likely that she actually was) point so directly to him being a suspect that it's impossible to overlook.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:

Chris Watts admitted to killing his family, and in fact gave intricate details of the process. He pled guilty of their murders in court.

I don't think this is relatable at all to the Scott Peterson case, except in both cases the husband is having an affair.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ails-left-out/

Old 10-31-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yet before the affair is ever revealed in the clip, his behavior, his actions, and his statements (e.g. that she's "missing," well before it would be likely that she actually was) point so directly to him being a suspect that it's impossible to overlook.
My all time favourite is when Scott is sitting for a media interview. His wife is missing.

The phone rings in the kitchen. Everyone knows that this could be Laci phoning, or information that she has been found. Scott doesn't react. He ignores the phone. At the apparent signalling from the interviewer, and the irritating disruption of the ringing phone, Scott then looked around for the phone, turned it off and continued the interview.

If that is not the actions of a man who knows his wife is not calling him - I don't know what is.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Chris Watts admitted to killing his family, and in fact gave intricate details of the process. He pled guilty of their murders in court.

I don't think this is relatable at all to the Scott Peterson case, except in both cases the husband is having an affair.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ails-left-out/
If we're going to argue that having a girlfriend means the man is a cad rather than a murderer, it is relevant. Chris Watts and Scott Peterson both had a girlfriend. Some want to argue that because they had girlfriends, they are cads and the girlfriend is not a reason to presume they are murderers.

This is true. Having a girlfriend at the time of committing murder means nothing. Both Scott and Chris were convicted on evidence of murder, not evidence of having a girlfriend.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
If we're going to argue that having a girlfriend means the man is a cad rather than a murderer, it is relevant. Chris Watts and Scott Peterson both had a girlfriend. Some want to argue that because they had girlfriends, they are cads and the girlfriend is not a reason to presume they are murderers.

This is true. Having a girlfriend at the time of committing murder means nothing. Both Scott and Chris were convicted on evidence of murder, not evidence of having a girlfriend.
A lot of what Scott was convicted on, was evidence of having a girlfriend.

Or anyway, that's what caused LE to lazer focus on him as the killer - he was acting so oddly during the early investigation.

Because he had a girlfriend and was trying to keep that fact a secret, and also keep Amber Frey in the dark that he was a married man. Additionally, all the bizarre lies about where he was, when he was on the phone to Amber were just further evidence that he was trying to hide from her who he was, and keep her on the string.

It wasn't evidence that he killed his wife.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
A lot of what Scott was convicted on, was evidence of having a girlfriend.

Or anyway, that's what caused LE to lazer focus on him as the killer - he was acting so oddly during the early investigation.

Because he had a girlfriend and was trying to keep that fact a secret, and also keep Amber Frey in the dark that he was a married man. Additionally, all the bizarre lies about where he was, when he was on the phone to Amber were just further evidence that he was trying to hide from her who he was, and keep her on the string.

It wasn't evidence that he killed his wife.
I completely disagree. Amber Frey gave testimony with audio evidence that Scott claimed his pregnant wife was dead a month before she was dead. That is significant. When he was at his wife's vigil on New Year's Eve, he called Amber to say that the crowds were crazy in Europe. That's not about hiding a girlfriend. That's just unnecessaraily weird - nothing to do with guilt.

Hiding his affair does not change anything. When he was being interviewed and the phone rang, rather than jump out of his chair hoping it was news about his missing wife, he first ignored the call and then turned off his phone. That's about knowing that his wife was dead and that she was not phoning him.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I completely disagree. Amber Frey gave testimony with audio evidence that Scott claimed his pregnant wife was dead a month before he was dead. That is significant. When he was at his wife's vigil on New Year's Eve, he called Amber to say that the crowds were crazy in Europe. That's not about hiding a girlfriend. That's just unnecessaraily weird - nothing to do with guilt.

Hiding his affair does not change anything. When he was being interviewed and the phone rang, rather than jump out of his chair hoping it was news about his missing wife, he first ignored the call and then turned off his phone. That's about knowing that his wife was dead and that she was not phoning him.
It IS concerning, that he told Amber his wife was dead. That's concerning. Among other pieces of concerning evidence in this case.

But you aren't left with guilty beyond reasonable doubt, when you stack up all the concerning evidence. You're left with "yeah it's pretty likely he's guilty".

But then you have to stack up all the other stuff that looks like he's not guilty. Like the guys who watched him launch the boat didn't see a body in it, and it would be exceedingly difficult to get a 180 pound dead body with weights attached over the side of that boat without capsizing it, and they weren't able to find any evidence whatsoever of how he killed her.

So "pretty likely he's guilty" begins to fade.

The reason he told Amber he was in Europe and the crowds were crazy is because she would obviously have been able to hear crowd noise during this call and he had to explain it. He wasn't about to say he was at a vigil for his missing wife. So, again, evidence of trying to hide who he was from his mistress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime