Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times

Advertisements

Read the following two books. They could save your life.

Amazon.com: The Sociopath Next Door (9780767915816): Martha Stout: Books

Amazon.com: The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence (9780440508830): Gavin de Becker: Books

I'm not sure Dahmer was actually a sociopath, which explains the eyes. From what I've read, he experienced a certain amount of emotion.

Sociopaths, according to the author of "The Sociopath Next Door" generally are very charming, able to con others, and very adept at mimicking emotions that they don't actually feel. Not all of them are killers, but they are best avoided.

Agreed on Chikalito. Scary looking eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Amazon.com: The Sociopath Next Door (9780767915816): Martha Stout: Books

Sociopaths, according to the author of "The Sociopath Next Door" generally are very charming, able to con others, and very adept at mimicking emotions that they don't actually feel. Not all of them are killers, but they are best avoided.

Agreed on Chikalito. Scary looking eyes.
That book is a nice easy read too. I liked it. Sorta reminds me of the narration over scenes in dexter in a way.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know Bundy was a Serial Killer. Were the other once not more like mass murdurers?
Breivik and Cho were mass murderers. Manson actually never killed anyone himself. Ramirez was a serial killer.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Not a serial killer but cold cold no soul at all eyes...Hitler

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,984 times
Too bad you cant tell what they are by looking at there eyes. Ive seen some "normal" peple who look evil but they are not.

Thats scrazy (crazy-scary). Wish there was a way to tell these freaks from the rest of the norma population.

Any ideas?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookn4Paradise View Post
Too bad you cant tell what they are by looking at there eyes. Ive seen some "normal" peple who look evil but they are not.

Thats scrazy (crazy-scary). Wish there was a way to tell these freaks from the rest of the norma population.

Any ideas?
Yes. Read the books I posted links to earlier.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Kindness always shows in the eyes...something about the trait of kindness always shows through....I think it is genetic...If you come from a long line of people who are good and kind- It will show in you ----there are families and cultures that are just plain wicked...and their product is more nasty people- It is typical that beautiful loving people breed and create sweet children who grow to be wonderful adults- They say opposites attract....I would say no too that...similar people are attracted to each other-- two hateful -simple minded violent crazies breed- you get a crazy...

Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookn4Paradise View Post

Any ideas?
In that book The Sociopath Next Door, the author says that psychopaths/sociopaths have a talent and a tendency for playing on people's sympathies. She said that maybe the single clue to watch for the most is someone who repeatedly displays hurtful or seriously wrong behavior over time, and when confronted tends to seek forgiveness by trying to elicit pity.

Something also discussed in the book, which I've read and heard about plenty of other places, is the skill many sociopaths have at being charming. Recalling some of the people I've known, I think that a really good clue might be when you know someone who seems to be able to charm people, be liked by people, be thought of by many people as cool, etc., but then you have the opportunity to observe the person displaying cold, mean, or ugly treatment toward someone who crosses him, gets in his way, can't be of any use to him, or something of this sort. Your sociopath radar should be sounding if you see something like this. Of course the difficulty is that you have to avoid being charmed by this person yourself and as a result failing to notice his awful treatment of people he sees no need to entice.

Of course, that's not the case 100 percent. One of the examples in The Sociopath Next Door was a woman who was not charming at all, but blatantly mean and ornery, and despised by all her neighbors. Still, someone who seems charming until you notice the person showing poor treatment of someone he sees no need to treat in a friendly manner is someone to steer clear of if at all possible.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM

This tread is giving charming people a bad name. Only an idiot would fall for false charm. You can sense if a person is truly good..and you can sense when they are pretending to be good people...Real charm for it to be effective has to be sincere. Some will just go along with creeps and appease them because they just want to get along...There have been people that I have known who were creeps ...they have a history of bad behavior...of deception...of ruthlessness and cruelty...we are never truly surprised when they finally show there evil. Most of us are wishful thinkers and we constantly hope for the best to arise..and we are then disappointed....People are formed a certain way...they are like a broken machine...that always in the end yields defection.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 AM

How about Dick Cheney...Now there is a guy with total confidence- send a thousand to die over weapons of mass destruction- that you know don't exits- and he can look the public in the eye and say- so what- I'm a serial killer- what are you going to do about it? _ He is scary I remember him being interviewed by Wolfe Blitzer on CNN....Wolfe mentioned about whether it was fair for lesbians to have children (referring to Cheney's daughter) - If it was 400 years ago Cheney would have killed poor Wolfe on the spot.....when Cheney gave Blitzer the LOOK- I could swear the little journalist almost peed his pants....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime