Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Why do people think this is/was a miscarriage of justice?
If someone is pounding my face in on the pavement, I'm going to defend myself through any means available. Nothing Zimmerman did justified trayvon physically attacking him.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Hmmmmm. Let me say this. On Dr. Phil, Zimmerman's best friend and wife talked about Zimmerman. According to him he told Dr. Phil these things: He is their best friend. He helped Zim pick out the gun, that he carried with him all the time, and the gun that he shot Trayvon Martin with. Zimmerman was not on duty for the neighborhood watch on that particular night.

When Zim called 911 they told Zim to stay in his vehicle and do not pursue the person. He did just the opposite and a 13 year old ended up dead. A audio was played on the show, it did not sound like a grown man yelling for help. Besides that, he was dishonest about the money he had and applied for a court appointed attorney. I saw the marks on the back of his head, a few scratches and a small puncture. No massive injury to insinuate that the teen took him down. If Zim got out of the vehicle and pursued Martin, was Martin acting in self defense if he did take Zim down?
I am not saying he is guilty, but I am not saying he is not guilty. But why did he pursue the teen when 911 told him to stay in his vehicle?

It does appear that by recusing two judges, everything is being done to afford him a "fair" trial.

I just don't see how anyone can say that Zimmerman did nothing wrong.

trayvon martin 13? you mean 17. also, just because a dispatcher says not to follow him does not mean he has to follow their orders. dont know about florida, but here where i live, dispatchers are not sworn officers, they are just trained individuals and not cops at all.
also, you saw his injuries after the fact, not the night zimmerman was beaten. people always look better after the e-room treats them.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Hey guys, like it or not, because of the loosey-goosey nature of stand your ground laws there is IMO a decent chance Zimmerman will be found not-guilty of 2nd degree murder.

In case you didn't know there have been other cases just like this.

Daniel Adkins a 28ish mentally disabled man was walking his dog by taco bell when he got in a yelling match with a man who was driving through the drive through (some sort of almost hit the dog with the car thing).

Adkins never even made contact with the driver or the car.
The driver shot him from the car, his pregnant fiance was in the passenger seat.
When police arrived the shooter claimed adkins had a metal pipe, none was found at the scene.
This happened with a few weeks of the Martin shooting.
To this day, the driver (black) has never been charged, it happened in Arizona.

There are other very bad examples of SYG laws letting guys do stuff like this.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" -William Blackstone

More than 10 innocent people have gone to prison because anti-self defense prosecutors railroaded them. That's why these laws were passed.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
tinynot, Martin was 17 years old wasn't he ? Not a little boy of 13.......

A lot of you people have the makings of a lynch mob....Zimmerman did some things wrong and Martin did some things wrong. Martin is dead, lynching Zimmerman will not bring him back. Zimmerman will get some time but, it should not excessive. Martin was stupid to go up against a man with a gun....he acted like a thug as well.
Sorry, my mistake if he was 17, still a child to me. I am not lynching Zimmerman. How did Martin act like a thug?

monkeywrenching
Zim was not on neighborhood watch, it wasn't his duty to pursue, I guess that is why the trained operator told him to stay in his vehicle. He didn't stay, he wasn't a cop either. There have been times someone was outside my house in the dark, once they even kicked at my back door, I called the cops and waited with a gun in my hand, even though I could have just shot them. I am a widow and live alone.

Mathguy
You are right about the "Make My Day" law, a pharmacist in OKC was a victim of a 2 guy armed robbery , they shot first, the pharmacist shot back six times. It was all on camera. The pharmacist is doing life in prison, awaiting appeal.
He shot more than one time was the reason the law didn't apply. It only works when the powers that be want it to.

I have never said Zimmerman was guilty, but we can't hear Martin's story, he is dead.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Mathguy
You are right about the "Make My Day" law, a pharmacist in OKC was a victim of a 2 guy armed robbery , they shot first, the pharmacist shot back six times. It was all on camera. The pharmacist is doing life in prison, awaiting appeal.
He shot more than one time was the reason the law didn't apply. It only works when the powers that be want it to.

I have never said Zimmerman was guilty, but we can't hear Martin's story, he is dead.
1) Sounds liek the pharmacist needs a bunch of "free mumia" racists and some celebrities to spring him?

2) I personally feel that zimmerman should have not followed TM and that he should have carried something like mace or a taser etc. I am very doubtful that his charge of 2nd degree murder will stick.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Anyone have a 17 year old attack you? If I had a gun, I would have shot him too. A guy goes to attack me, I am shooting him.

Where did Zim go wrong? The 911 call is not too bad, he identified Trayvon, as a kid hanging out, and there had been lots of break-ins in the area. I discount the girlfriend's hysteria, she is caught up in the media blitz, and wants the stage. Anything she says about what he heard while talking to Trayvon is garbage as far as I am concerned.

As always, whether or not Zim is convicted, is based on the jury pool. And in our racial tension now, I am pretty sure he is going to go down.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) Sounds liek the pharmacist needs a bunch of "free mumia" racists and some celebrities to spring him?

2) I personally feel that zimmerman should have not followed TM and that he should have carried something like mace or a taser etc. I am very doubtful that his charge of 2nd degree murder will stick.

Sad thing is who championed Kacey Anthony? Nobody and she still was acquitted.
I would like to see the jury of Zimmerman's peers.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
A jury of Zimmerman's peers? How many Jewish Hispanics are there? I would load up the jury with older folks, those who have feared youth gangs, young hoodlum punks. If they can make Trayvon look like a punk, looking for trouble, maybe Zimmerman has a chance. A lot will depend on this judge. If nothing about Trayvon's prior acts is allowed, and he is portrayed as "saint Trayvon", Zimmerman is in a world of hurt.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
A jury of Zimmerman's peers? How many Jewish Hispanics are there? I would load up the jury with older folks, those who have feared youth gangs, young hoodlum punks. If they can make Trayvon look like a punk, looking for trouble, maybe Zimmerman has a chance. A lot will depend on this judge. If nothing about Trayvon's prior acts is allowed, and he is portrayed as "saint Trayvon", Zimmerman is in a world of hurt.
They will have trouble with the "out looking for trouble" portrayal given that he essentially ran out for snacks and was headed home to finish watching the b-ball game. So even if I were some crotchety old fart I would not buy that one.

However, I take one look at TM and one at Zimmerman and find the idea that the chubby older guy could catch TM or chased and caught him rather laughable.

So at that point, it get's *difficult* and you cannot just believe Zims account of events so then you have to rely heavily on impartial evidence like the ER folks that saw the back of his head etc.

I just don't think that with SYG laws....there is enough to pin 2nd on him. I wonder if the jury is allowed to reduce to manslaughter or if it's all or nothing?

Anytime you get an altercation out in public where where one person initiated it without a shred of probable cause and then ends up shooting the other, I'm going to have a hard time getting past that core set of facts. Now if TM had been climbing out a houses window with a laptop tucked under his arm then I would side with Zim but not just walking down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime