Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 AM

136 posts, read 261,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
We didn't have much of a problem traveling around when we visited at any time of day. Even through the construction zones. Heavy traffic in Tucson is nothing like here in Chicagoland.

What I see with highway projects is that they are usually built for the amount of people when planned. When the highway is completed it is already too small and usually there isn't any extra area for expansion figured into the original plan. So when the highway is completed it is already congested. So everybody suffers during the construction only to have a highway that is too small when completed.

Then when they try to plan for widening the expense is unrealistic because of all of the buildings/homes that would need to be purchased for the space. Case in point--the Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago. (I290) When they originally built it they had major trouble obtaining land in all of the adjoining cities. They would never get any additional land now. There are too many buildings. For as long as I can remember this expressway was a mess in the morning and evening. I remember riding with my dad in the early 60's being stuck in bumper to bumper stopped traffic going downtown. And there is nowhere to widen it. This pretty much goes for all of the expressways here around the city.

I would agree that Tucson is fine the way it is. I can only see a problem for anyone that needs to travel east to west or north to south all day long. Otherwise all you need to do is plan for delays--leave earlier.

" I can only see a problem for anyone that needs to travel east to west or north to south all day long."
So no problem if I stay where I am? lol Just couldn't help myself.
I am used to crosstown highways and I miss being able to scoot across town in minutes. I'm retired though, so I can wait for the slower time of day to run errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Default It is not going to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor21 View Post
I was alive and driving in Phoenix during the 80's. By comparison with Tucson traffic today and Phoenix during all of the 80's, IMHO Tucson is pretty much at the edge of a crisis. Tucson is small physically and if you pack that many vehicles in such small space with only a handful of main arteries today - you have a crisis waiting for ya. And yes, the traffic signals in Tucson today is more orderly as opposed to 10 years ago.

Once this 'crisis' spreads outside rush hour, I'm convinced Tucsonans would want a crosstown freeway.
I think something will have to be done. I, too, remember PHX during the 60's-80's and it was a nightmare!! I think Tucson is beautiful but something will need to be done as it is only going to get worse.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,175 times
Default Tucson Loop Proposal

Question regarding Tucson's current highway system...-image.jpg

What do you think? Could it work? I left Tucson for the service 7 years ago and have been to many cities... Currently I'm in Fort Worth, TX and I have been here for 2 years. In the 2 years I have been here I have seen the Chisholm Trail Parkway connecting Granberry, TX to Ft Worth start and be completed. TX Dot completed it last month!! AZ needs to contact TX for advice!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:23 PM

612 posts, read 1,020,356 times
I don't know what problems this solves for most Tucsonans now, but maybe in the future it could be good. Right now, I think the problems are located elsewhere (i.e.: North, and East).

If this is intended as a bypass, it's pretty misguided - it goes too far out of the way. I don't think people will use it.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
A freeway is needed in the Grant to Kolb corridor or the River to Alvernon to Grant to Kolb corridor from either I-10 and Grant or I-10 and Orange Grove over to I-10 and Kolb. A secondary freeway is probably needed in the Valencia corridor from I-19 to I-10 (to provide freeway access to the airport).

The idea of using the Pantano Wash is probably a good location as to where the freeway is needed, but for numerous reasons, it will never happen.

I can see a freeway in the Valencia area (as it isn't as densely developed between I-19 and I-10).

Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
the map shown in Mike1811's post above shows a bypass meant to serve thru-travelers on I-10, not the local population....it is a plan to divert non-local traffic out of town and lessen congestion in town....

the entire I-11 plan is a very forward-looking effort by ADOT....much study is still going to be done and funding will keep this decades away from completion, if even approved.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson