Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,982 times

Advertisements

My family and I will soon be moving to the Tuscon area. I have read endless forums and done scads of research. The one question I can't seem to find answer to is this. I'm coming down from December 1st to the 20th or so to find a place to live and a job. My husband is staying in New York with the kids to continue with work and school. Then, after Christmas, we are all coming back down. I wanted to have a house for us to move in to when we do. Is it possible for me to buy a house with my spouse on the other side of the country? Let me know what you think. And yes, he IS going to let me pick it out...all by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:22 PM

12 posts, read 35,184 times
Yes. We have relocated several times. There are many nice areas of town, and more options to the school question. What area of town are you looking to work in?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 17,364 times
We did almost everything from the east coast. We house hunted when we were there in July made an offer on a house the day before we left. Did everything else by fax or fedex. Closed on the house a month to the day of when we made the offer.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
With all of the "high techs" nowadays, sabrinasmom . . . NO PROBLEM.

Thank Goodness for The Fax Machine!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,982 times
Thanks. It makes me feel better knowing that it can be done. Right now we are looking to live (and hopefully work) in the areas covered by the Amphitheater, Catalina Foothills or Marana school districts. We really liked the sounds of Oro Valley, but I think it may be a bit beyond our means. Housing prices are MUCH higher down there then up here. We'll be lucky to get $70-80 thousand for our current 3-4 bdrm, .33 acres in a very desirable neighborhood. I have heard that it has actually become a bit cheaper to buy a brand new home, rather than an older home. I can't wait to get my feet on the ground out there and do some hands on looking. Our biggest concerns are the scorpions, snakes and such. Up here we have skunks and deer. At least they're too big to fit through the doggie door! Can you have doggie doors down there? We are coming with 2 Cairn Terriers. We have already considered that it might be best to find a home up here for our two cats. I have heard that outdoor cats don't last long. Thanks again for everyone's help. I know from reading endless threads that there are thousands of relocation questions in here. Thanks for your patience.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinasmom3 View Post
Thanks. It makes me feel better knowing that it can be done. Right now we are looking to live (and hopefully work) in the areas covered by the Amphitheater, Catalina Foothills or Marana school districts. We really liked the sounds of Oro Valley, but I think it may be a bit beyond our means. Housing prices are MUCH higher down there then up here. We'll be lucky to get $70-80 thousand for our current 3-4 bdrm, .33 acres in a very desirable neighborhood. I have heard that it has actually become a bit cheaper to buy a brand new home, rather than an older home. I can't wait to get my feet on the ground out there and do some hands on looking. Our biggest concerns are the scorpions, snakes and such. Up here we have skunks and deer. At least they're too big to fit through the doggie door! Can you have doggie doors down there? We are coming with 2 Cairn Terriers. We have already considered that it might be best to find a home up here for our two cats. I have heard that outdoor cats don't last long. Thanks again for everyone's help. I know from reading endless threads that there are thousands of relocation questions in here. Thanks for your patience.
Regarding the home prices issue, you're coming in at a good time. Still a good number of foreclosures and short sales around town and new construction and resales are having to compete with them. When appraisals start coming back with only foreclosed homes used as the "comparable" properties, you know prices are depressed.

As far as Marana goes, look into the floodplain issues that have been discussed on the boards here. I think Bummer or Chowhound started a thread recently asking about them (my memory doesn't kick in till about 8am on Mondays). There are deals in Gladden Farms and Rancho Marana, or even further west near Picture Rocks if you're looking out there; the drive might turn you off though.

Yes you can have doggie doors here! The further out from the center of town you go, the odds of your outdoor cat coming back to you decline at a steady rate.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 AM

415 posts, read 1,681,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinasmom3 View Post
My family and I will soon be moving to the Tuscon area. I have read endless forums and done scads of research. The one question I can't seem to find answer to is this. I'm coming down from December 1st to the 20th or so to find a place to live and a job. My husband is staying in New York with the kids to continue with work and school. Then, after Christmas, we are all coming back down. I wanted to have a house for us to move in to when we do. Is it possible for me to buy a house with my spouse on the other side of the country? Let me know what you think. And yes, he IS going to let me pick it out...all by myself.

That is exactly what I did. I flew down to look at a house in February and came by myself. I signed my portion of the contract and then just faxed everything back to Buffalo for hubby's signature. No problems at all. In fact, we were in Buffalo for the closing. Just had the escrow company fax everything to me, we signed and Fed Ex-ed it back to Tucson.

Glad to see another NY'er coming to Tucson!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson