Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times

Advertisements

CONGRATS, DebBho . . . sounds like great news to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Are the moderately priced hotels on Cortraro Rd. in Marana in a nicer and safer area than those along Stone Ave. if I were looking to spend as little $$ as possible for a two or three night visit?

The La Quinta on Broadway is around $59.00 a night, but I was wondering if I could spend less in a safe area?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Are the moderately priced hotels on Cortraro Rd. in Marana in a nicer and safer area than those along Stone Ave. if I were looking to spend as little $$ as possible for a two or three night visit?

The La Quinta on Broadway is around $59.00 a night, but I was wondering if I could spend less in a safe area?
Are you talking Stone just South of Speedway? If so, that area can be a little sketchy, but is probably OK.

The Cortaro area is newer, cleaner and more suburban (if that's your thing), but Stone and Speedway is more typical Tucson.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Got back yesterday from my little road trip to Tucson, etc.. I ended up staying at the Ramada, just off the freeway, but wouldn't stay there again. That place needs a LOT of TLC and just general fix ups. The flat screen TV was great though! lol I had been looking forward to a nice long soak in the bathtub, since all I have at home is a shower, but there was no way to plug the tub unless I used a washcloth. It just all looks old and tired. AND it cost me $80 with all the taxes, etc.. The next night I stayed in Tombstone at a really cute and quaint small motel. Cost me a little more but very much worth it!

I'll be making many more trips down there so...

Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Proof positive, AZDesertBrat . . . some bargains are not always "bargains" after all.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Proof positive, AZDesertBrat . . . some bargains are not always "bargains" after all.
Well, I can't really call $80 a "bargain" but I was really really trying to skip the typical Motel 6 places. You'd think for that much they'd include a little coffee maker. Oh wait...they did. And ONE pack of ONE cup coffee. lol Good thing for me I always take my travel coffee pot! Maybe I shoulda checked out the continental breakfast. Might have been a 'redeemer'. Ate next door at Denny's, dinner only...20% discount...but even so they are over priced. Service was excellent though.

Thanks for the rep, Bummer!!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 PM

205 posts, read 729,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBho View Post

Just going off of input from Tucsonites
First, congratulations, hope the RE transactions works out and so welcome.

Now, I can finally be the first to say this (as it was said to me my first week on the forum ) - It's not Tucsonites or Tucsonians, it's Tucsonans and you are shortly to become one

Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 PM

58 posts, read 143,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
AND it cost me $80 with all the taxes, etc.. The next night I stayed in Tombstone at a really cute and quaint small motel. Cost me a little more but very much worth it!

I'll be making many more trips down there so...
Wow, I guess I got even more of a bargain than I realized. I ended up staying in a guest house/vacation rental that was absolutely charming: Large living area with a huge fireplace, fully outfitted kitchen (including fresh eggs in the fridge from the owner's chickens), separate bedroom with its own bath, and its own private pool. All for $94/night! The leather sofa in the living room also had a queen hideaway, which was perfect as I was there with a girlfriend. The second bathroom could barely be called a bathroom (the shower was so tiny and the nozzle unmovable so you had to be a real contortionist to rinse off - it was a good thing I'm still bald from chemo!), but that was a minor inconvenience compared to everything else the place had to offer. Free wifi as well.

The only downside for me was that the owner posted a list of helpful info on the front of the refrigerator and it began with details about where rat poison had been placed so that you would be sure not to leave gates open where her dogs might get to it. I did see one small pack-rat looking creature scurrying across a flower bed outside the casita one afternoon, but never saw any inside. Thank god.

Last edited by observer53; 06-30-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 PM

58 posts, read 143,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
First, congratulations, hope the RE transactions works out and so welcome.

Now, I can finally be the first to say this (as it was said to me my first week on the forum ) - It's not Tucsonites or Tucsonians, it's Tucsonans and you are shortly to become one
Thanks, Tom! I actually noticed the "Tucsonan" preference on a couple of other threads recently and was curious why no one had jumped on me. (They sure do get testy if you spell it TuSCon! )

The RE transaction was a bust. Just got the inspection report yesterday and the place has polybutylene plumbing which is at the end of its life expectancy (and the inspector found a couple of leaks to boot). Polybutylene pipe was just not an issue I was even aware other than running across two or three listings (out of hundreds) that specified "NO POLYBUTYLENE PIPE!" Anyway, I just don't want to deal with completely replacing a plumbing system, so we pulled out. However, another home that is even more perfect and less than a mile away was just listed this week and we just made an offer on it ten minutes ago. Please, let this be the one!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBho View Post
Wow, I guess I got even more of a bargain than I realized. I ended up staying in a guest house/vacation rental that was absolutely charming: Large living area with a huge fireplace, fully outfitted kitchen (including fresh eggs in the fridge from the owner's chickens), separate bedroom with its own bath, and its own private pool. All for $94/night! The leather sofa in the living room also had a queen hideaway, which was perfect as I was there with a girlfriend. The second bathroom could barely be called a bathroom (the shower was so tiny and the nozzle unmovable so you had to be a real contortionist to rinse off - it was a good thing I'm still bald from chemo!), but that was a minor inconvenience compared to everything else the place had to offer. Free wifi as well.

The only downside for me was that the owner posted a list of helpful info on the front of the refrigerator and it began with details about where rat poison had been placed so that you would be sure not to leave gates open where her dogs might get to it. I did see one small pack-rat looking creature scurrying across a flower bed outside the casita one afternoon, but never saw any inside. Thank god.

If anyone wants to check it out, the only way I know of booking it is through vrbo.com, and the vrbo # is 342796.
Wow! I'll say you got a bargain! Heck all that would be worth it to me. Well, maybe not the rats or rat poison! The rest sounds great though. I'll remember that website next time I plan to go down. How long did you stay there? They don't have a minimum of nights do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson