Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM

371 posts, read 637,536 times

Advertisements

Yes, after searching, I think those are among the two most-asked questions here. Unfortunately the posts I've found didn't really answer the questions I have, so:

In looking for a place to move to (I'm in San Diego right now), and Tucson is becoming a contender. If I were to move there, I'd probably be in an extended-stay place for several months. I called the Extended Stay America on Grant, which I've seen recommended here, but their monthly prices during spring are over $1,900! I guess that's due to the gem and book festivals.

Has anyone stayed at the InTown Suites up on Ina? Safe? Clean? Quiet? Run for the hills? Yes, I know that area is "cookie cutter," etc, but that isn't a concern for me. There seem to be lots of stores, post offices, etc. there, and there is a bus route that runs along Ina. Is that area generally OK? I see posts about northwest areas (I know this isn't officially Tucson, but an unincorporated area that considers itself Tucson) being just fine, but then there have been a couple talking about crime in Oro Valley? Not sure how that affects W. Ina near I-10, as this is closer to Marana.

The bug question: Some posts make it seem like there will be roaches crawling all over you, and others talk about how there are almost no bugs in the area. Ina seems built-up enough so that I don't think it would be too bad, but if I were on the second or third floor of an extended stay, assuming I keep the place clean, what would I have to look out for?

Do I need to check my shoes before putting them on?

Do I need to check sheets before getting into bed?

Do I need to check couch cushions before sitting down?

I keep food in plastic, etc., anyway, after four years in Texas. It's habit, now.

Seriously -- enough with any "scare the newcomers" talk. Right now Tucson is just an option, but my mind will obsess about it if I don't get more info. Nothing worse than building a place up in your mind only to find it's not what you want, you know?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 AM

135 posts, read 515,898 times
When I arrived here in 09, I stayed at the Studio6 in Irvington. It was clean but a lil loud. I know they just remodeled this summer. With the Gem & Mineral shows coming at the end of Jan until mid Feb, every room in Tucson gets doubled and even tripled in price. The In Town Suites are a lil below Studio6 as you have to pay for the extras you get at 6.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnryOne View Post
When I arrived here in 09, I stayed at the Studio6 in Irvington. It was clean but a lil loud. I know they just remodeled this summer. With the Gem & Mineral shows coming at the end of Jan until mid Feb, every room in Tucson gets doubled and even tripled in price. The In Town Suites are a lil below Studio6 as you have to pay for the extras you get at 6.
Thanks, but I won't have a car for much of the time I'm there. Yes, I know a car is supposedly necessary, but I wouldn't have one, other than a rental car for the first week I'm there. Ina is within walking distance of a lot and is on a bus route that gets me to other places I need to go fairly quickly (I've checked the schedules). The Studio 6 is something to keep in mind, but InTown Suites is still the first choice due to location.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,063 times
You never know where there might be roaches or bedbugs .

Have you read any reviews? InTown Suites Tucson (AZ) - Condominium Reviews - TripAdvisor

One plus about the Ina location, IMO, is the proximity to a yummy Mexican restaurant, La Parilla Suiza .

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
You never know where there might be roaches or bedbugs .

Have you read any reviews? InTown Suites Tucson (AZ) - Condominium Reviews - TripAdvisor
Even expensive, high-class places can have bugs, and I've checked the bed bug registry.

I saw the TripAdvisor reviews but found others on Google Plus that said the place was basic but fine. That's why I was asking here, to see if anyone had actually stayed there.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
the Ina and I-10 location is not bad...lots of consumer conveniences nearby in a transcontinental-interstate-exit sort of way....try to score a quiet room where cars and trucks won't be heard cranking up at 5am (you're next to the interstate, you know!!).....road warriors/traveling families/borderline-homeless staying at freeway motels can be a breed apart....

have lived in Az for 39 years and I never do any of that stuff you list.....gee, was there some youtube posted that puts every potential visitor to Arizona in a lather about bugs and snakes?.....admittedly, when traveling, I do check the sheets in hotels, but really only for obvious dirt or similar.....

Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM

42 posts, read 66,825 times
Honestly, ( I was stationed in Tucson in the 1980s and I travel through there frequently) for $1900 a month you could rent an apartment or a trailer. There are many rentals in the area and some are quite nice. I would look closer towards the base (Davis-Monthan) but you should do alright as far finding a quite and inexpensive place to stay.

Several problems with by-the-week motels in Tucson:

1) You are close to the border, so drugs are a problem. And by-the-week places have some of the worst problems with it.
2) A number of retirees come to Tucson in the winter and they often stay in the same places. That can make finding on difficult
3) The prices are often too high for reasons #1 and #2

If you think that you are going to be in the area for a while, I would advise you to look for a rental, rather than a motel.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Do you want a hotel? How about a short term rental? How much are you looking to spend?

I stayed at a place billed as a golf vacation rental, via tucsongolf.com, and it was pricey but it served the family well. Their condos and home are all over so you can choose the location you want.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
have lived in Az for 39 years and I never do any of that stuff you list.....gee, was there some youtube posted that puts every potential visitor to Arizona in a lather about bugs and snakes?.....admittedly, when traveling, I do check the sheets in hotels, but really only for obvious dirt or similar.....
This might be a duplicate post -- CD is being odd today... anyway, yes, a number of posts talked about the roaches. Plus there's general knowledge of what bugs are in Arizona, though I have no idea what Tucson's really like in that respect.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Mistermix: 1) I'm in San Diego. Same issues here. 2) I'd be coming out in spring. 3) That's why I'm looking at other extended stays. I have credit issues that might make finding an apartment difficult for a while, hence extended stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson