Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

hi all

what are some auto repair shop with good reputation around u of a west? preferably around west saint marys rd, west I-10 area.

i have a 1998 ford explorer and i'm new to the area, i'm looking for a repair shop that is affordable and honest, to do oil change and maintenance, there are some problem with suspension system as well(control arm/ball joints probably...)

it better be those shops that i can take parts to them and ask them to only do diagnose and replacement labor...Or those shops that don't overcharge on auto parts!

thanks for all replys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,357,638 times
Pep Boys.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,735,549 times
Not all that far away, Alex . . .

Over the years I have tried a gaggle of shops looking for a reputable repair / maintenance facility for my '86 Jeep CJ-7 and finally determined the BrakeMax on Thorneydale just North of Orange Grove at I-10 to be the best shop available.

I have found Ryan, the manager, to be very honest and, above all, trustworthy.

Good Luck

Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

Over the years I have tried a gaggle of shops looking for a reputable repair / maintenance facility for my '86 Jeep CJ-7 and finally determined the BrakeMax on Thorneydale just North of Orange Grove at I-10 to be the best shop available.

I have been to a couple of BrakeMax locations (but not the one you mention) and I can say I feel like they do a good job and prices are as fair as car repair prices can be.

Do go to Auto Air Conditioning, Auto Repair, Oil Change & Front End Wheel Alignment Tucson, Arizona (AZ) – BRAKEmax Car Care Centers and print out their coupons to save a few extra bucks.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Avoid NAPA. PM me and I will tell you why.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,410,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Pep Boys.
Absolutely NOT! I will never, ever take my car to Pep Boys ever again. They have ripped me off several times and they do not do the work they charge you for.

Never send your car to Pep Boys, no matter what.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,735,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Pep Boys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Absolutely NOT! I will never, ever take my car to Pep Boys ever again. They have ripped me off several times and they do not do the work they charge you for.

Never send your car to Pep Boys, no matter what.
I agree, Deeken . . . my major complaint with Pep Boys is with their quotes.

Get a quote for something fairly simple and have the work done . . . after completion the final bill has "hidden" miscellaneous charges which are ridiculous. Do a little squawking and the extras are removed but definitely unnecessary and unsettling.

Just the opposite with Ryan at BrakeMax . . . many times the final bill is less than the quote which is always a pleasant surprise. Also, "The Customer Is Always Right" seems to reign with Ryan.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken
Everyone says they are the best auto parts store to go to. Much better than Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. Please explain why.

Thanks.
For parts maybe, but not the NAPA affiliated garages and mechanics. NAPA does not stand behind their guarantee.

Short version.

Expected a rear main-seal leak on Vacation in Navajo Country from Willamette Valley in Oregon. Took it to a Mesa Repair Shop. Three days later it was returned with an explanation a $400 sender had failed and was leaking. Upon examination it was obvious the leak was a 15 cent "O" Ring. They insisted it was the sender leaking and the tab was $800. Just 30 miles from the shop another loss of all the oil and another expensive tow. They stated a high pressure oil hose was damaged (right next to the sender they removed) so they replaced both HP Oil hoses with local made hoses. Another $500. On return to Oregon within 1500 miles one of the new hoses burst about 150 miles from home. Another tow and it was discovered the hoses installed by NAPA were 3,000 pound Teflon hoses. The truck requires 6,000 pound hoses. At the same time we had the removed sender tested and indeed there was nothing wrong with it other than the "O" Ring.

Does that answer your question? NAPA would not stand behind the guarantee and neither would the dealer/vendor.

I have used PEP Boys for many years and never an issue.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,332,106 times
I have had a lot of good experiences with Pep Boys. I also appreciate that they are open on Sundays and evenings when a lot of places are closed.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have had a lot of good experiences with Pep Boys. I also appreciate that they are open on Sundays and evenings when a lot of places are closed.

And they are 20% less across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson