Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM

196 posts, read 213,109 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone,

I'm headed to graduate school (just not 100% sure which one right now). I've been looking at the cities of Tucson; Lexington, KY; and Columbia, SC. I was even looking at Cleveland, but not sure that will work out.

What I have seen on forums for other cities is hope, civic pride, optimism, some pessimism that is typically countered with optimism. Cleveland was in rough shape for a long time, but seems to be on the rise. Lots of great things happening there, if a long, cold winter isn't an issue.

As an outsider, my observation so far, from this forum, is that Tucsonans (HOW do you pronounce that btw?) seem wary, pessimistic, and negative about their city. I live in SoCA, so I know y'all were hit hard by the recession, and that things are not exactly bouncing back, and now real estate seems to be getting a bit soft, in neighborhoods dominated by closing restaurants, or new soul-less chains. And then there are the border and water issues.

HOWEVER, as someone who is looking to go back to school, and put down roots in the town I choose to study in, I am trying to decide if Tucson makes sense. And, yes, I know I have to do a recon mission to truly determine if Tucson is for me, but are there any good things looming on the horizon?

Arizona seems like such a gorgeous, diverse place, with so much natural beauty and cool little towns, and I think I'd be happy to call it home. I love the proximity to Mexico (I speak Spanish, have lived in Mexico, and enjoy the culture) but some of the posts scare me a bit.

Where do you see Tucson in 2020? 2025? Is it possible that things will get better? Is it politics?

I realllllly hope I'm not offending anyone. Im open-minded and want to know if I'm reading too much into these posts.

THANK YOU - or, as we say in San Diego, "Gracias!" ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:01 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Things don't move too quickly here. So how do I see Tucson in ten years? Not that much different than now. I moved here nine years ago. I was told so many things were "scheduled" for change. Rio Nuevo, blah, blah, blah. There are pluses and minuses but generally it's a wash. I don't see a lot that's different overall. The kind of gentrification that has occurred in places like Cleveland and Pittsburgh is spearheaded and guided by local governments that have a unified desire to grow their cities. Tucson seems to have a bipartisan commitment to remain a "town."

Spring training baseball has disappeared; the university's major sports teams have improved. A lot of bookstores are gone; there are more Walmarts. Some people seem to love the trolley, which is finally operating after much ballyhoo, but personally I don't see what's been gained that's worth the enormous expense. Then again I'm not a student or a drinker, the groups that appear to be the biggest benefactors. Most new construction occurs in the suburbs. Both Oro Valley and Marana continue to grow and add jobs, although few are high-paying.

When I arrived in 2006, Pima County's population was scheduled to go over one million residents. Instead the population has decreased from 2006 levels. I see that as a result of the downturn in the economy and the negative attitudes toward immigrants. For me, personally, the company that I worked for went bankrupt and I lost my job.

Of course there is a lot to recommend Tucson. It is scenically beautiful, historic, the weather is great, and the culture is diverse and colorful. Your positive attitude about Mexican culture will enhance your experience here. The University is a great place to study in grad programs that are well-regarded. It seems like a lot of U of A grads share your desire to plant their roots here after graduation. The problem is Tucson isn't in an economic position to absorb them all as well as some other Southwest cities are (for example Austin).

Best of luck with your choice.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-09-2015 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
I would describe Tucson current and future as tepid. We're on the verge of losing Davis-Monthan AFB, the city is investing heavily in Raytheon by building and improving infrastructure. That hasn't stopped Raytheon from trying to leave or outsource to other states for projects. The other large employer (University of Arizona) is facing cuts from the state. Water prices are on the rise. It really depends on what you want out of life, there are some who make it and thrive, but Tucson isn't really a place where money is made.

Tucson is a fun eclectic town, but it's not devoid of issues (and it's got them).

Old 04-09-2015, 01:56 PM

612 posts, read 1,021,311 times
Tucson's the kind of place you move to in spite of it's issues rather than some potential future case that isn't likely to happen.

I lived in Tucson for 24 years, moved to Pittsburgh for 11, then moved back. Let me tell you - it's basically been the same place that entire time. Small things change, but nothing big. Everyone will tell you, for example, that downtown Tucson is "finally" viable, but the fact is that it was once more viable - in the 90's we used to go downtown quite a lot and all of those places are now gone. Worse, we are already starting to see some of the new downtown places close up shop. These closures may not signify a trend, but it looks and feels all too familiar for anyone who has spent a few decades here.

And as for the overall economy - well - basically that situation remains unchanged as well: the university, the air force base and Raytheon. The only difference between now and the 1980's is that back then Raytheon was called Hughes, but it's the same place. There are some other notable employers, but they aren't large enough to make a great impact overall.

Will things get better? Maybe. It's in the dumps at the moment, but there's enough interest in the region that things should generally improve over time, at least a little. Will it be a vibrant scene in 2020? Not likely. Maybe, but not likely.

All of that said - it's a fine place to live if you make it so (much like anyplace - I know people who live in Manhattan and complain that there's nothing to do). In Tucson you have amazing weather, great access to the outdoors, some interesting cultural things, a surprisingly good music scene, etc.. I just had a friend visit for a week and am remiss at all the things I didn't have time to show her! And Mexico! I'm planning a drive down to Mazatlan right now - it's only a 13 hour drive, why not go?

I also hear great things about Lexington and Columbia, by the way. Cleveland ... well ... Cleveland just plain sucks (sorry, Clevelanders).

Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM

196 posts, read 213,109 times
This is VERY valuable feedback.

I'm actually not attending U of A. I have been admitted to ASU's masters in social work program, and there is a special "Tucson component" in a building west of I-10.

I chose Tucson over downtown Phoenix (where the program is based), because I didn't think I would care for PHX - but I have only been there once, and it was for a workshop, so I saw a bit of Scottsdale, Frank Lloyd Wright's home, and that was about it. I never made it downtown, to to North Central, etc.

My program's focus is more on policy and community/program development. I'm interested in sex trafficking, human rights, refugees, among other things. ASU's program is excellent and I am excited about it.

So, here's the thing: I could try to get an internship with a local member of Congress (like Raul) to get the exposure to legislative work, but being in a state capital probably makes more sense.

I'm also an older student (50), and decided that I would go to school in a place where I'd like to put down roots. I am really fed up with moving, as I've just returned from Central America, and have lived across the country.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. Columbia has the advantage of decent weather year round (except for humidity), it's a state capital, and surrounded by other cities where I could settle (Asheville, Charleston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville).

I should just hop in my car and come out to PHX and Tucson. I'm worried about choosing a place where I'll be in a dead end.

And, yes, I am as confused as I sound :-)

Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM

191 posts, read 172,055 times
Having a connection to Arizona State rather than U of A I believe will be more beneficial in future employment. A lot of state work will be driven by the state capital which is in Phoenix. Phoenix is much better suited to absorb the graduates of ASU than Tucson absorbing U of A graduates. I remember reading several years ago that ASU graduates had a good chance of being hired by employers who were also ASU graduates. Phoenix is the big leagues and right now Tucson is struggling to be minor league. Your future might be in Phoenix. Check out downtown Tempe and then compare it to the area around the U of A. Then there is downtown Phoenix.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Things don't move too quickly here. So how do I see Tucson in ten years? Not that much different than now. I moved here nine years ago. I was told so many things were "scheduled" for change. Rio Nuevo, blah, blah, blah. There are pluses and minuses but generally it's a wash. I don't see a lot that's different overall. The kind of gentrification that has occurred in places like Cleveland and Pittsburgh is spearheaded and guided by local governments that have a unified desire to grow their cities. Tucson seems to have a bipartisan commitment to remain a "town."

Spring training baseball has disappeared; the university's major sports teams have improved. A lot of bookstores are gone; there are more Walmarts. Some people seem to love the trolley, which is finally operating after much ballyhoo, but personally I don't see what's been gained that's worth the enormous expense. Then again I'm not a student or a drinker, the groups that appear to be the biggest benefactors. Most new construction occurs in the suburbs. Both Oro Valley and Marana continue to grow and add jobs, although few are high-paying.

When I arrived in 2006, Pima County's population was scheduled to go over one million residents. Instead the population has decreased from 2006 levels. I see that as a result of the downturn in the economy and the negative attitudes toward immigrants. For me, personally, the company that I worked for went bankrupt and I lost my job.

Of course there is a lot to recommend Tucson. It is scenically beautiful, historic, the weather is great, and the culture is diverse and colorful. Your positive attitude about Mexican culture will enhance your experience here. The University is a great place to study in grad programs that are well-regarded. It seems like a lot of U of A grads share your desire to plant their roots here after graduation. The problem is Tucson isn't in an economic position to absorb them all as well as some other Southwest cities are (for example Austin).

Best of luck with your choice.
I lived in Tucson from 2003 - 2009 (and the Phoenix area from 2000 - 2003, and 2011 - present). Here is what I see:

Rio Nuevo was a big boondoggle. However, downtown Tucson is leaps and bounds better than the ghost town that it was in 2003. The streetcar, loft apartments, numerous new bars and restaurants, and new UniSource energy building are all major improvements.

The area around the University of Arizona (and the campus itself) has grown tremendously in terms of density (multiple high rise apartments have been built) as well as millions of square feet of new and expanded University buildings. The UMC and TMC have also been engaged in major expansion projects.

El Con mall has gone from an eyesore to a viable retail center.

Tucson Mall and Park Place mall have been effectively modernized (to prevent them from becoming dated, "dead" malls.

Grant Road is (albeit slowly) being improved and modernized.

What hasn't improved is the economic diversity of the region. The region is still overly dependent on the trifecta of Davis-Monthan, Raytheon, and the University. Only one of the three (the University) is guaranteed not to close or leave town. Of the other two, Davis-Monthan will likely close as soon as John McCain is no longer in office and Raytheon will suck the city, county, and state dry for all available incentives and then potentially move.

The fact that Tucson and the state government don't like one another politically (and unlike Phoenix, Tucson isn't the major economic engine and political of the state) also create issues for Tucson as the state government is far more likely to invest in Maricopa county than Pima county.

That being said. Tucson has more aesthetic beauty, a slower pace of life, friendlier people, and a much stronger southwestern feel than it's big brother 110 miles northwest.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
My sister went to UA, not a lot of industry and high paying jobs or many jobs at all in Tucson. My sister moved to San Diego after graduation, lot of UA graduates move to move to Phoenix, LA and SD after graduation. Tucson reminds of Lexington, KY its a city but most of the city revolves around college athletes of the university and almost all the businesses in town cater to the college student crowd. I love Tucson thou, its a great place to go to college but Phoenix runs that state with the jobs.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:21 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
While most of the nation's employment levels are now at or exceed pre-recession levels Tucson has recovered just 43%. That should say something.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:57 PM

130 posts, read 164,046 times
"As we say in San Diego, gracias!"

Did anyone else catch this? I guess SD has been thoroughly colonized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson