Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 45,963 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I keep hearing about the monsoon season out in Tucson. My husband and I will be moving to Tucson in the end of July from Florida. Is there a date when the monsoon season normally starts, like they have the dates for hurricane season? This is something I've never experienced, so I'm a bit excited and hope we'll still have a month or so of it when we get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko32198 View Post
Hi everyone, I keep hearing about the monsoon season out in Tucson. My husband and I will be moving to Tucson in the end of July from Florida. Is there a date when the monsoon season normally starts, like they have the dates for hurricane season? This is something I've never experienced, so I'm a bit excited and hope we'll still have a month or so of it when we get there.
I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that they used to base it on specific weather changes (Dew points etc) but now that's changed. Monsoon season officially starts June 15th now. Similar to hurricane season, I think the though might have been instead of having people worrying about the start of it and not being prepared, that to have a set 'date' would help shift the burden to teaching people how to be alert and responsible for future times. If that makes any sense to ya.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
It's getting longer and longer every year! This year it started even before the beginning of July. Last year it started a couple of days after July 4th and it ran into September. I still remember coming back from Rocky Point in mid-September last year and getting stalled in the dips. The thing is I’d never even noticed those dips on the road before as it had never poured when I go there (Memorial Day and Labor Day usually).

And yes, in the past the dew point had to reach certain level for the “season” to officially start - 54 degrees or greater for three consecutive days. This year for the first time it was announced… If you ask me, this is weather manipulation, but that’s an entirely different story I’m not gonna get into here… A RE agent in town put it very well:

I must not have been paying attention. This year, the national weather service declared monsoon season to start on June 15 and end on September 30. It’s good to know the national weather service can declare weather.

Apparently, It’s Monsoon Season in Tucson | The Housechick Blog

Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 PM

63 posts, read 205,291 times
either the old way or the new way of telling when it starts....it will still be here in all it's glory when you get here at the end of the month.....Hint: don't drive around any "Road Closed due to flooding" signs.....

Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
A simple "rule of thumb" in spite of the expert claims, Meeko . . . from The 4th of July to Labor Day. As far as "something I've never experienced" . . . very similar to the afternoon Thunderstorms so common in Florida.

Bottom line . . . Mother Nature makes the FINAL DECISION and they are going full steam ahead right now.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Bottom line . . . Mother Nature makes the FINAL DECISION and they are going full steam ahead right now.
The problem is Mother Nature has lil' helpers nowadays, Bummer.

SPACE.com -- U.S. Military Wants to Own the Weather

Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The problem is Mother Nature has lil' helpers nowadays, Bummer.
LOL . . . I was expecting a picture of AL GORE, Sierra!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 45,963 times
Thanks everyone! They do the same predicting with hurricane season here, which I think is basically to let everyone know that sometime in a 3 month period you might experience one so be prepared.

Are there any roads that usually close due to flooding in the area that I should avoid? As a newbie to Arizona I appreciate all of your help.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Are there any roads that usually close due to flooding in the area that I should avoid? As a newbie to Arizona I appreciate all of your help.
Everywhere you see dips it gets flooded. Even when it doesn't rain, you'll see the signs on the side of the road ready to go up. There are also some permanent signs. When it pours all streets get flooded more or less because of the lack of proper drainage system. Better stick to the middle lane as the left and the right lanes are the worst (the roads are sloped).

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,269 times
Hey, speaking of the monsoon, wow, has it really greened up after the rains we had or what? I think about 2 days ago, it was the greenest I've ever seen Tucson. Really, really nice to look at.

That said, part of the reason I love Tucson is the dry weather. We get just enough rain around here to make the place look good. Something about high pressure and dry weather just makes me feel better though, so I'm glad the monsoon season doesn't last too terribly long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson