Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Keep in mind that there are lots of different microclimates around - especially in a city environment and it can vary a lot from a weather station in the sun or near lots of asphalt to one in shade near trees.

Ken
Well, if these stations are not placed in a comparable fashion (either all in the shade or all in the sun), then I'd agree that all bets are off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, if these stations are not placed in a comparable fashion (either all in the shade or all in the sun), then I'd agree that all bets are off.
I'm sure that the packages (when you buy them) come with suggestions of how/where to install them but no one can say for sure how any one particular weather station is installed - hence you will have some variation (especially in an urban environment where there can be a lot of concrete asphalt etc). As I said, I have probably a 5 degree difference between my front yard (sunny) and my back yard (shaded). City areas ALWAYS have significant microclimates - that's not so much the case for rural areas but is always the case for metro areas.

Ken

Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
I'm sure that the packages (when you buy them) come with suggestions of how/where to install them but no one can say for sure how any one particular weather station is installed - hence you will have some variation (especially in an urban environment where there can be a lot of concrete asphalt etc). As I said, I have probably a 5 degree difference between my front yard (sunny) and my back yard (shaded). City areas ALWAYS have significant microclimates - that's not so much the case for rural areas but is always the case for metro areas.

Ken
I really appreciate your weather-related information, Lord!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
I really appreciate your weather-related information, Lord!
No problem.
As SierraAZ mentioned, I AM a weather a bit of a weather junkie.

I suspect that may have come from having spent 2 winters in eastern North Dakota.

Ken

Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Quote:
No problem.
As SierraAZ mentioned, I AM a weather a bit of a weather junkie.

I suspect that may have come from having spent 2 winters in eastern North Dakota.

Ken
Brrrr! That sounds COLD to me!

Can't wait for you guys to come to Arizona and enjoy our warmer climes!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Ken
OK, now I know why you're scarred for life!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
OK, now I know why you're scarred for life!
Oh yeah!
We hit a wind chill of -117 one day.
After that experience it's no wonder I'm fascinated by the tropics eh?

Ken

PS - Also spent 4 years in Michigan (Battle Creek). Those winters were no walk in the park either - but compared to NoDak it was "balmy".

Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
We hit a wind chill of -117 one day.
Neither can I imagine it, nor do I want to ever experience it!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Neither can I imagine it, nor do I want to ever experience it!
You are 100% correct. You do NOT want to experience that.

To give you some idea of what it's like, pick up a piece of dry ice with your bare hands. The result is instant frostbite. The temp of dry ice is -109, so anywhere the wind hit bare skin it was as if dry ice was placed against that skin. That's cold that's so cold it no longer even feels cold - instead it BURNS because the skin is being instantly frostbitten.
No fun whatsoever.
Fortunately that was an extreme example of the weather, more typically it was down just below zero at night and clawed it's way up to a balmy 15 or so during the day. Still wayyyyyyy too cold in my opinion.

Ken

Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You are 100% correct. You do NOT want to experience that.

To give you some idea of what it's like, pick up a piece of dry ice with your bare hands. The result is instant frostbite. The temp of dry ice is -109, so anywhere the wind hit bare skin it was as if dry ice was placed against that skin. That's cold that's so cold it no longer even feels cold - instead it BURNS because the skin is being instantly frostbitten.
No fun whatsoever.
Fortunately that was an extreme example of the weather, more typically it was down just below zero at night and clawed it's way up to a balmy 15 or so during the day. Still wayyyyyyy too cold in my opinion.

Ken
Wow!

Anything under 32 is too cold to me! With the low humidity here, I break out the coats when it gets under 65-70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson