Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 10:58 AM

112 posts, read 428,004 times

Advertisements

I considering moving to Tucson in the near future hoping to make more than the $8 per hr wages paid in northern Florida, and perhaps starting a pt time home repair business making around $20 per hr in residential self employment. Are college grads just making minimal wage? Is the drug cartel violence as bad in Tucson as the news media portrays?? Do you feel safe?? or is the news media giving out alot of hype?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
If you aren't directly involved in the drug or alien transport business, you are not likely to be impacted by the crimes the media loves to hype.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you aren't directly involved in the drug or alien transport business, you are not likely to be impacted by the crimes the media loves to hype.
Great point, Observer.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discontented lot owner View Post
Is Tucson Really That Bad??

No.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,758 times
It is all subjective. some will say it is bad some say it isn't.

We will be moving there sometime soon I hope. (my wife is still in school and we will need to sell our house)

My suggestion is to visit and make your own decision. When we visited, my wife and kids didn't want to leave. I told my wife that she would feel that way but she wanted to see for herself.

We saw no violence and no suspicious activity. We didn't feel unsafe--even at night. Of course like any city there are areas that are not very nice as well as areas that are very nice. It all depends on your perspective. If you look for trouble you can find it anywhere. It is just as observer said.

I think that Tucson is a beautiful place. But I love the desert. If you don't like the desert you will not like it. We cannot wait until we can move. Especially when the weather here gets to be like the last few days. It's been down to 0 at night with ice and snow. I definately will not miss that!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 52,774 times
Some of Tucson can be bad, but not that bad. Oro Valley and Vail are very nice and they are right outside of Tucson!

Bryan

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 12-12-2009 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Removed link... No Advertising.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:55 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discontented lot owner View Post
I considering moving to Tucson in the near future hoping to make more than the $8 per hr wages paid in northern Florida, and perhaps starting a pt time home repair business making around $20 per hr in residential self employment. Are college grads just making minimal wage? Is the drug cartel violence as bad in Tucson as the news media portrays?? Do you feel safe?? or is the news media giving out alot of hype?
Tucson's employment picture is bleak at best. I don't think most college grads are taking minimum wage jobs; they're most likely leaving Tucson.

I haven't heard many news stories of drug cartel violence in Tucson. Phoenix is the kidnapping capital of the United States. I am sure that there are Tucsonans who are kidnapped by drug cartels, but they are ALWAYS associated with the Mexican drug trade in some form. So unless you plan to become a drug smuggler, you should be fine.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Phoenix is the kidnapping capital of the United States.
that "claim" has been thoroughly explained and discredited....only human trafficking from south of the border has led to that ranking...it's not like little kids are being snatched away from their marble games out front of the house....

as with any city of a million people in the metro area, Tucson has very safe areas and some not so safe.....just need to use common sense, be aware of your surroundings, the whole bit....

Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
I have homes in both Colorado and Oro Valley (selling the CO home), but have lived here almost permanently for 14 months and the only crime I've heard about is shoplifting. But, like everyone else said, in a town the size of Tucson, you'll have good parts and bad parts. A lot of Tucson is very nice, safe and family oriented. But, there is the seedier side which is common in any larger city.

As far as a drug cartel? Not that I know of, and I agree, unless you're going to be a coyote (transporter of illegals into US) or a drug runner, your chances of ever even knowing of a drug cartel are slim to none.

Heck, in Colorado Springs a couple of years ago, there were more murders than in Tucson, and CS is the home of many military installations, NORAD, Focus on the Family, and is also a University town. Kelsey Grammer's sister was murdered there about 20+ years ago. So, you can't pigeonhole any city into a profile you hear about on the news.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 PM

15 posts, read 66,245 times
Is Tucson Really That Bad??

Yes. Save yourself the trouble and don't make the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson