Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 PM

18 posts, read 83,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmebacktoaustin View Post
Is Tucson Really That Bad??

Yes. Save yourself the trouble and don't make the move!
Aw, aren't you cute.
You should of saved yourself the trouble of stating your opinion without any reasons for that opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
[quote]Tucson's employment picture is bleak at best. I don't think most college grads are taking minimum wage jobs; they're most likely leaving Tucson./QUOTE]

Employment is like this everywhere in this country now, Tucson is no worse. There are companies hiring but they take their time and try to choose the best fit for each job. If you have nothing to offer than it is bleak at best. However, if you have abilities, experience, and know how to set yourself apart from most of the other people looking for a job, you should be able to find one. I connection with someone in Engineering Management in Tucson and have been told that there is hiring.

During this kind of economy it is difficult to find a job in most anything. But if you work at it you will find one.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM

63 posts, read 230,663 times
[quote=sickofIL;12043439]
Quote:
Tucson's employment picture is bleak at best. I don't think most college grads are taking minimum wage jobs; they're most likely leaving Tucson./QUOTE]

Employment is like this everywhere in this country now, Tucson is no worse. There are companies hiring but they take their time and try to choose the best fit for each job. If you have nothing to offer than it is bleak at best. However, if you have abilities, experience, and know how to set yourself apart from most of the other people looking for a job, you should be able to find one. I connection with someone in Engineering Management in Tucson and have been told that there is hiring.

During this kind of economy it is difficult to find a job in most anything. But if you work at it you will find one.
So true, SickofIL! If one wants to find work, they will find it. I was one of those crazy freaks who left almost a $42k year job back East and had nothing full time lined up when I arrived in Tucson. By the grace of God, it only took me three weeks to get a job here. Of course, that was after stopping in countless random businesses and submitting applications ad nauseum

Old 12-15-2009, 08:03 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
[quote=sickofIL;12043439]
Quote:
Tucson's employment picture is bleak at best. I don't think most college grads are taking minimum wage jobs; they're most likely leaving Tucson./QUOTE]

Beautifully stated, Sick . . .

When times are tough it is important to remember for every job there are at least a dozen applicants so the first impression is crucial. Don't dress like you're heading to the beach or the local bar and, above all, don't bring kids and/or friends along for the interview.

GOOD JOBS are no more difficult to find than GOOD EMPLOYEES.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM

31 posts, read 94,670 times
Default You're from Florida and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by discontented lot owner View Post
I considering moving to Tucson in the near future hoping to make more than the $8 per hr wages paid in northern Florida, and perhaps starting a pt time home repair business making around $20 per hr in residential self employment. Are college grads just making minimal wage? Is the drug cartel violence as bad in Tucson as the news media portrays?? Do you feel safe?? or is the news media giving out alot of hype?
You're from Florida and you ask about the drug trade? I relocated 6 months ago from the h*ll of SW Florida. Had my car broken into, outdoor furniture stolen, copper pool piping stolen, was physically threatened, nearly killed by drunk driver, and had my Harley hit and driven OVER by a drunk in a parking lot. Thankfully I was not on it at the time. Drugs are used openly on a routine basis by many of the residents and police turn a blind eye due to understaffing. Police officers are shot or injured by illegals or drug thugs on an almost weekly basis. (BTW I lived in what was considered to be an upscale area.)

No matter where you live you need to be alert but I'm not afraid to live here (I'm a single woman). I LOVE the desert, enjoy the cultural diversity and have actually taken up photography. I was describing Tucson to someone a few weeks back and told them the only way to describe Tucson is, it's alive!

Do I feel safe in Tucson? You bet your little tanned behind I do!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,734 times
It depends on where you'll be living in Tucson. I've had my truck broken into while at work and my rear window bashed in for no apparent reason. This also happened to my father's truck, and most recently, my sister's house got broken into. You'll learn quickly what parts of town are bad and which one's are not if you do some further research.

Also, the job outlook for Tucson is somewhat bleak. I work in IT, so you would think that there would be an abundance of jobs, but that's not the case. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 90,667 times
Crime in Tucson is quite localized. South bad, north good.

Employment situation in Arizona is bad, especially outside of the Phoenix megalopolis.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM

153 posts, read 522,048 times
I would consider Albuquerque if I was you...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM

18 posts, read 83,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
It depends on where you'll be living in Tucson. I've had my truck broken into while at work and my rear window bashed in for no apparent reason. This also happened to my father's truck, and most recently, my sister's house got broken into. You'll learn quickly what parts of town are bad and which one's are not if you do some further research.

Also, the job outlook for Tucson is somewhat bleak. I work in IT, so you would think that there would be an abundance of jobs, but that's not the case. Good luck.
IT people are a dime a dozen no offense. Overall the job outlook is fine.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,518 times
Exclamation Think twice about Tucson as a move

Tucson has some premier scenic beauty and it's overall arty and accepting however as many people in this forum are stating The wages are low and the heat is oppressive as well as...
I worked with the education system and kids have many choices on how to receive their education, maybe to many choices. It's not unlikely for a high school sophomore to have already attended three separate High schools. It's ranked 49th in education strongly due to language barriers and the cumbersome standardized testing. On the whole of the many teachers I met they were dedicated and generally cared about their students. Education is not a priority statewide and it does feel that there is an attitude of those who can afford a better education will get it.
No matter how you slice it Tucson has a racial divide it's not overt or angry but you will find very little racial mixing or multi racial couples. I would say if you're planning on moving learn some spanish it will make your integration that much easier and respectful.
There are great outdoor opportunities but there are also the hazards that come with that. Lots of sunscreen and drink plenty of water always and you will be fine.
Tucson is a commuter city, you drive to almost everything and the public transportation is not so convenient. Busses do not service the outlying areas and also do not run very late. Taxis are quite expensive as Tucson is a serious tourist attraction.
Entertainment wise I would say Tucson has fewer choices The music scene is small and has less choices then other cities its size in the US. The art walks do offer much and I would say that is the best part of Tucson's creative community. The community is supportive but you will see the same things over and over and over.
Socially Tucson can be good and bad, even with a million people it seemed much smaller then many cities I had lived in that were half the size. With fewer walkable neighborhoods and less social outlets people have a hard time meeting each other. If you're single and over thirty it could be a bad choice if you're looking to date. I think I met one person who met someone in Tucson otherwise they had moved there together. If you're a college student I'm sure that is totally opposite.
Traffic is traffic, better then some places worse then others. The worst season is the winter time when the snowbirds return, traffic seems to double and people drive poorly and well under the speed limit.
If you like bustling downtown neighborhoods not a great city, the downtown area and shops are very limited. If you're looking to start a business here do your homework it's the desert in more ways then one.
Some other interesting facts, Tucson has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the US especially in the 85705 zip. It's has one of the highest high school drop out rates in the US. AZ has one of the worst car theft rates by far and gang related violence and drug trafficking are high for obvious reasons.
If you're moving to Tucson looking for the next big thing, I would say look elsewhere, things do not really take off, they hover and hopefully stay alive. The rent is mostly cheap, I would not advise buying a house or property. Rent and see if you can hack it, lots of people try and many folks leave.
Many places are about the friends you make and I would say that is very true of Tucson. Tucson is as I said small and pretty cliquey, so if you steer clear of the gossip mill and remain neutral things will go well, as it goes in any small town.
Tucson is best for the people whom are trying to get out of the rat race and are looking for a far more relaxed pace. I would also say if you're into isolation also a perfect place to find it. Enjoy the extremes and exercise extreme patience you just might survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson