Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:47 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times

Advertisements

Idaho...Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 07:02 AM

218 posts, read 1,487,181 times
I must concur with tucsondesertdweller. You really want a short rope for your builder. And with the housing market settling down a bit, you might want to seriously consider buying a 'preowned' home. There's a nice variety of choices all over Oro Valley now.

A couple of 'best kept secrets' of neighborhoods already established to look at: The Villages of La Canada and the Oro Valley Country Club areas.

Most, if not all, neighborhoods in OV are ruled by HOA's. Their monthly fees can be extremely steep! Be sure to check that out too.

Good Luck and Welcome to Oro Valley

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 22,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopper View Post
I'm new to this forum, and have a love for arizona. Actually I am thinking of moving there next year. I'm from the east coast so its a toss up between tucson and florida.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with both? I love the laid back vibe tucson offers (i visited last year). Would you recommend it for a single woman in her 40's and her 18 year old son? Would it be to much of a culture shock coming from the east coast?

Seems my fav state is getting slammed on these posts. WHAT GIVES!

Tucson is a great place for a family. I raised 4 kids here and 3 are still in the southern AZ area, Maricopa, Sierra Vista, and Tucson. Love the winters and stay in the house, pool, malls, or theatres in the summer. Have you heard about our cultural events? Wonderful! We have attended the FREE Tucson Pops and also FREE Tucson Symphony concerts in the spring (we really don't have spring, just hot and warm) and fall (cooler) in the park. Been going since 1985 when they started. Mother's day opened the season and there were 12,000 people on the ground enjoying their picnics and then feasting on the fab music. If humidity is not your thing, this is the place for you except from mid June through July - Monsoon Season. Then we do have a rainy season in winter but it is nice and gentle and cool. We've always felt safe here. That could be because there was a police car in the driveway for 27 years, but even now that it is gone we feel comfortable and safe in our friendly neighborhood where everyone is out morning and evening walking the dogs and kids and talking to each other. Same thing in the Rancho Vistoso area in Oro Valley. We know all our neighbors and everyone watches out for each other. In the 4 areas we've lived this has been the case. Good luck with your decision. AZ is great.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang1963 View Post
Roundtruck: visiting a place and then living in that place is not the same !! You move to tucson, you are in for a BIG surprice ! As AZBEC pointed out, -ANYTHING BUT - Go to Fla, its a better move -
Peace
A "jobless" surprise if I may add. The job growth here is in the slave driver call centers or healthcare. I could care less about the 110 degree heat in the summer or the high crime rates, but the jobless situation here is beyond belief. Before the economy went downhill, Tucson had over 1200 jobs advertised in the Sunday paper, now just 100 (mostly in the call center field or in healthcare).

Old 05-14-2009, 07:23 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
A "jobless" surprise if I may add. The job growth here is in the slave driver call centers or healthcare. I could care less about the 110 degree heat in the summer or the high crime rates, but the jobless situation here is beyond belief. Before the economy went downhill, Tucson had over 1200 jobs advertised in the Sunday paper, now just 100 (mostly in the call center field or in healthcare).
Yeah, but ain't the mountain views grand?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 PM

474 posts, read 1,067,304 times
When you can see them through the dust.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
When you can see them through the dust.
Belle... what are you doing "up here" on the Tucson BORED?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,588 times
Wink arizona or Fla

I have lived in both states az for 16 years and fla for 30 years of my 60 years of life. There are big differences az not humid by hotter for longer periods of time it stays hot in az into Oct. az is nice from nov to feb and march and april arent to bad but the rest of time its only good for snakes and lizards. The dessert is pretty at times and there is lots of sunshine. but the laws and politics of az are backwards and corrubt the state is not consumer friendly and crime in phoenix metro area is very bad forget education its almost the worse in the country. Fla has great beaches much better education and depending where you live in fla very laid back. yes hurricanes from time to time but thats along the coastal cities not everywhere in fla. if you give me a choice between tucson or miami beach i take miami beach for night life,food, culture, and beauty anyday. not miami city limits miami beach two different cities. I take boca raton fl over scottsdale az anytime. the best place in az is sedona az. The pay scales in az are worse then fla. Fla has lush greenery az haz dust and dirt. the worst part of fla is the bugs and humid weather for to 5 months out of the year. az sucks 7 months out of the year. temps this year alone over 100 in oct will not cool down untill nov and will stay nice untill begining of march then starts to warm up again and will be in the 100s by late april thru to some days in oct . today is oct 11th and its 97 go to fl today in miami beach its 81.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 AM

20 posts, read 123,285 times
Wow! You snow birds are missing the whole enchilada! I was born near Tucson and I saw Tucson grow since 1941. If I can survive this long, you can too. Tucson is a better city then LA,NY, Chicago and many more cities. The crime rate may be high or low but try to live in the big cities. You will move here. The desert isn't as bad as people say it is. Try living in Sarahra desert region. It all depends on how you want to live. Tucson is a retirement city not for employment statis. The economy is rated by the government and not us. I just read that unemployment checks have to be returned in the thousands because they made a mistake and people have to pay it back now. Mistakes like this are made by idiotic politicians. Now the poor people have to pay. Can't wait until November to get rid of some dirt when we vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson