Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 15,562 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Tulsa, I NEED a small town with friendly people and good schools. Need something within 30 mins drive from Tulsa preferably E or NE or possibly SE. Would prefer a town smaller than 3,000. I am originally from AR so politness is a must please. Leaving IL because cost of living is outrageous and RUDE people. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 02:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Towns are growing so fast around Tulsa, it might be hard to find one under 3000 in pop.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Keetonville is a small upper middle class town between Owasso and Claremore to the north east of Tulsa. Where do you need to be 30 minutes from in Tulsa, that can change drive times a lot.

Maybe Berryhill near West Tulsa? Mannford or Prue west on Lake Keystone? Keifer might be ok west of Glenpool.

There are few towns that are still that size that close to Tulsa. If they are still that size it's probably for a reason, and not a good one.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Towns under 3000 can be cliqish at times. If they are small for a reason, you'll be an outsider for sure and possibly the only ones with a full set of teeth. I'm not really sure why you think a town under 3000 will be more friendly than a larger town or city.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
My first thought, although west of Tulsa, is Cleveland. It has a lot of the conveniences of a larger town (Wal-Mart, restaurant, hardware store, lumber yard, hospital) and retains a lot of the small town openness. It is on Keystone so there is a good supply of housing in several areas and "new folk" are not discriminated against. North of Tulsa I would look at Skiatook or Oolagah/Talala. East of Tulsa Chouteau or Inola. SE you may find Haskell is a fit, and south of Tulsa, you have leonard, Beggs, and Mounds that may be a fit. But overall I would look at Cleveland.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 15,562 times
I prefer a smaller town simply because I have in the country my entire life and do not do well with city life. This will be a huge transition for me and I would like to make it as easily as possible.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 PM

23 posts, read 50,521 times
Collinsville is quite nice. I'm not sure of the actual size, but people are very friendly and there are a lot of small businesses in town. It's about half an hour from the center of Tulsa, obviously depending on traffic.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,858 times
Lightbulb Small town 30 mins from Tulsa

I'm almost certain this thread is outdated, but I'm posting anyway for future viewers/searchers of a Native Tulsan's opinion.

I would say Coweta for South-Eastern side of Tulsa/Broken Arrow and Berryhill (a small community) just west of Tulsa.

Coweta:
People there are nice enough (easy to form bonds with local townspeople), schools are... average for a small town (but I wouldnt say awesome, magnificent, or amazing by any means), and the only other thing not fitting into your 'little box' would be that there are approx 9,000 people (maybe closer to 10 k).

However.. It's going to be difficult to find a town near Tulsa with <3k people that can ALSO provide a good education for your children.

But if the standards you listed in your OP are the only standards you live by, finding a comfortable place in Coweta would not be difficult. People there tend to be very religious and keep at an arms-length distance with their neighbors and even friends, while still maintaining a friendly demeanor.

I went to Coweta schools through the middle of sixth grade, I may be a bit jaded because that grade was particularly challenging for me socially (as it can be for many children) and I decided to leave Coweta and start attending Broken Arrow Public Schools.

I grew up as a child of a family who attended the Jehovah's witness church regularly.
My mother was a "pioneer" which meant she spent 40+ hours a week visiting people in Coweta areas going door to door. I went with her early in the mornings before school and we would visit her regular group of bible study students. Most were friendly and always welcoming, but when we would go door to door we would meet opposition occasionally. Usually those people typically kept to themselves anyway, at times due to the fact they were probably cooking meth or dealing in some other drug out of their homes.

Soooo, when I say I know a bit about the people of Coweta (extending into Haskell), I think I have an understanding of them not many do. As thus, I feel comfortable saying that family is the most important aspect in Coweta... aside from the occasional random drug user and drunk.

Berryhill:
Positive points of Berryhill:
I've only lived here a year and I enjoy it, few registered sex offenders, moderate-low police activity(including need for police), being close to downtown Tulsa and having easy access to I-75 which stretches N-S of Tulsa are the highlights. I-75 leads straight to 71st St (a major road in Southern Tulsa with many shops/malls/business/living areas/etc.) which exits promptly near an area known as "Tulsa Hills". "Tulsa Hills" is a newly-built/expanding business-complex/outdoors-mall shopping area. It is one of the Highlights of living on the Western side of Tulsa.

Negative points of Berryhill:
Trains... God, so many trains (they don't typically impede traffic, you just hear them all the time).
Smell of sulfur in the air often due to the massive oil refineries just by the river.
High methamphetimine bust rate over the past 5-10 years, this is good that they're catching them, but I'd rather no meth-heads.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,368 times
Default Tulsa Schools

Having lived in both cities and small towns, I can understand you are seeking something familiar. However, there are wonderful communities within Tulsa like Brookside, Cherry Street, TU, and Downtown's arts and entertainment districts. You can literally walk or bike to everything and neighbors are so friendly (honestly much nicer than the "small town" I just moved from). Plus, Tulsa has some of the best schools not just in the state, but they are being recognized nationally. Even though there are also some schools that struggle, and parent involvement is very important when choosing a school, the bottom line is when it comes to education small towns simply can't offer the educational options that Tulsa can: Immersion schools that turn out bi-lingual elementary students, Magnet programs for everything from Engineering to Art, Science Academy Charter schools, and that's just PUBLIC education in Tulsa! It depends on your priorities, but there's no denying Tulsa has the best schools. Still, when we bought our midtown house, the neighbors were a big selling point, the owners actually listed "wonderful neighbors" next to "remodeled bathroom!"

Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,488 times
Default Oologah-Talala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyhome View Post
I prefer a smaller town simply because I have in the country my entire life and do not do well with city life. This will be a huge transition for me and I would like to make it as easily as possible.
My recommendation would be north of Tulsa and would be Oologah, OK. I was raised there my entire life and love it. There is a lake, the school district is excellent and it is a safe, small, country, quiet town and about 40 minites to downtown Tulsa if that. It is also not a place where new comers are regarded as "outsiders" and you certainly would not be the only person there with a full set of teeth as an earlier poster mentioned. I dont think you would go wrong w/ this choice. Rentals are far and few between though but there are some some and an apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa