Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,038,236 times

Advertisements

Hello me again. I've been in Tulsa almost 3 weeks now. I'm the one that moved here from WI, w/o knowing a soul down here. I wondered how I would fit in, as a lot of Wi people warned me about "culture shock". Well here I am, 3 weeks in, and here is what I'm seeing so far: The people here ARE friendly. I nod, smile and say hi when coming across someone new (which is every day) most of the time they do the same. My neighbors are somewhat quiet, and keep to themselves a lot. I've tried to say hi, but usually they look away, not sure why. Tulsa is very underrated city, with plenty to do, and a good COL. I've been keeping busy exploring any my time off, getting to know the area.Yes, Tulsa has it rought spots and challenges, but no place is going to be perfect. My coworkers are nice, but I'm not sure I fit in too well there yet. It's tough being the new guy, plus the majority of my immediate co-workers are a good 10-15 years younger than me. How ever there are a handful of other 40 ish folks who I tend to gravitate more towards. Found some good cycling trails nearby, so I've put them to good use, the weather generally good, btw I love strong t-storms and tornadoes ( I must be crazy lol)I only have one real criticism of Tulsa and that is the traffic/drivers. MY car insurance doubled, and i can see why. I have seen some downright reckless things just going to and from work which is 6 miles one way. I cannot figure out why otherwise intelligent, decent, hard-working, people become Mad Max on the road?????So it seems so far so good. I DO think I will like it here, although, believe it or not, I'm still a tad homesick. I would recommend Tulsa to anyone, because it does have alot going for it. As far as making friends, it's only been 3 weeks, but that's been a bit tough for some reason. But I still think Tulsa has been a great choice so far. Any other suggestions on to make a good life here even better. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,055 times
thanks for the input. I am expecting a job offer from a company there, and I am contemplating moving there from Denver. I will actually make a post soon.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,793,613 times
It takes a while to get settled and make friends. We moved to Mustang OK from NJ about 6 weeks ago. I haven't found a job yet (not looking too hard, though, trying to get settled), and my husband had a job when we came here, but it didn't work out, so he's job searching. Obviously, we haven't really made friends yet. My son is working for Hobby Lobby, and hasn't made any friends there yet because he says they are so much older than him (he's 18). However, my 16 year old daughter is at Mustang High School, and she already has two groups of friends she eats lunch with, and rides the bus with. She's already been asked out by one of the boys on her bus.

Sooooo my adivce to you is --- if you want to make friends fast, go back to high school

Good luck with your adjustment. I know it will take a while for us. I can't say I'm homesick but it all still feels very "new." The strange part is when I'm out running errands and I see someone from the back who reminds me of someone back home, and when they turn around, it's a bit of a shock to see a strange face.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,625,397 times
I think I have posted before that I moved to OK 50 years ago, from WI, and I still feel like an alien sometimes. I think it is just that I am from a different culture and that I am not as chatty as most people.

We moved from OKC to a rural area about 3 years ago, and I have gradually made friends. I am retired, and we don't go to church, so we join in community activities and hobby groups and I meet people that way.

I have a neighbor who moved here from Scotland, via Houston, and we are becoming friends even though I am way older than she is. Most of my friends are older than I am though.

In my travels around the country, I have noticed that in most places north and east of OK, people don't think the highways are race tracks. If you go west, people all drive much faster.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Default Oklahoma to California transplant.....Rome wasn't built in a Day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hello me again. I've been in Tulsa almost 3 weeks now. I'm the one that moved here from WI, w/o knowing a soul down here. I wondered how I would fit in, as a lot of Wi people warned me about "culture shock". Well here I am, 3 weeks in, and here is what I'm seeing so far: The people here ARE friendly. I nod, smile and say hi when coming across someone new (which is every day) most of the time they do the same. My neighbors are somewhat quiet, and keep to themselves a lot. I've tried to say hi, but usually they look away, not sure why. Tulsa is very underrated city, with plenty to do, and a good COL. I've been keeping busy exploring any my time off, getting to know the area.Yes, Tulsa has it rought spots and challenges, but no place is going to be perfect. My coworkers are nice, but I'm not sure I fit in too well there yet. It's tough being the new guy, plus the majority of my immediate co-workers are a good 10-15 years younger than me. How ever there are a handful of other 40 ish folks who I tend to gravitate more towards. Found some good cycling trails nearby, so I've put them to good use, the weather generally good, btw I love strong t-storms and tornadoes ( I must be crazy lol)I only have one real criticism of Tulsa and that is the traffic/drivers. MY car insurance doubled, and i can see why. I have seen some downright reckless things just going to and from work which is 6 miles one way. I cannot figure out why otherwise intelligent, decent, hard-working, people become Mad Max on the road?????So it seems so far so good. I DO think I will like it here, although, believe it or not, I'm still a tad homesick. I would recommend Tulsa to anyone, because it does have alot going for it. As far as making friends, it's only been 3 weeks, but that's been a bit tough for some reason. But I still think Tulsa has been a great choice so far. Any other suggestions on to make a good life here even better. Thanks
Be proactive to find friends....Join Some Clubs.....Join A Gym...Bicycling Club...Take A Adult Class....Take a College or University Class....put yourself out there and expect for it to take a couple months or more to make friends Oklahoman are SLOW to make FRIENDS......

Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM

13 posts, read 34,757 times
Welcome to Tulsa LeaveWI, glad you made it. Hang in there, I'm sorry your homesick. I'm sure things will get better. Find someone at work with at least one of your interest and see if they might like to hang out and go from there.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
Hey LeaveWI! I'm glad to hear you are doing well. You'll settle in and get some friends soon, I'm sure. People in Tulsa are friendly you just need to be there a little while longer.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
I look away when people I don't know say "hi" to me because I fear they are gonna judge me pretty harshly. For instance, they may think my nose is too big or that my face looks funny and ugly, or that I did of poor job of choosing my clothes. They may also think I need a haircut or combed better. Some of us are just too far from perfect. So, no doubt, your neighbors are fearing that you are judging them and that it may be a very poor impression that you are getting from them.

People drive crazy because they fear how other people would judge them if they are driving slow, including even at the speed limit. A lot of people are in a hurry, and don't appreciate some slow poke holding them up. You might get back at those crazy drivers by getting a bumper sticker mounted on the back bumper that says, "If I'm so slow, why are you behind me?"

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-15-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM

75 posts, read 249,603 times
stillwater townie was that supposed to be funny ????

Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 AM

702 posts, read 2,519,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I look away when people I don't know say "hi" to me because I fear they are gonna judge me pretty harshly. For instance, they may think my nose is too big or that my face looks funny and ugly, or that I did of poor job of choosing my clothes. They may also think I need a haircut or combed better. Some of us are just too far from perfect. So, no doubt, your neighbors are fearing that you are judging them and that it may be a very poor impression that you are getting from them.

People drive crazy because they fear how other people would judge them if they are driving slow, including even at the speed limit. A lot of people are in a hurry, and don't appreciate some slow poke holding them up. You might get back at those crazy drivers by getting a bumper sticker mounted on the back bumper that says, "If I'm so slow, why are you behind me?"
Are you sure you're from Oklahoma??? Let me guess, your also one of those people that do not say thanks when someone opens a door for you???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa