Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM

431 posts, read 1,242,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywacko View Post
People.
Who plays soccer?
I like it, but I don't play well, and so I cannot join a league, a team, etc...
If there are ~10 people and a filed, we could meet, play, etc....

Another idea - cycling.

A barbecue is not a bad idea, especially if there are kids of similar age groups.

... however, I am not sure this is the right website to get people together for a meetup.
If you like to bike there are several groups that do rides almost every night of the week and on weekends. I know one group meets at the River West Festival Park on Wednesday evenings.

Another activity is rowing on the Arkansas River. You can join the Tulsa Rowing Club and meet others. Their boathouse is also in Festival Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRedSox1984 View Post
So, I moved to Tulsa last June. I am a 25 year old hairstylist and I have no children. Typically, it is not hard to make friends in my field but all the girls who work at my salon have children and are too busy to hang out.

I go to the mall-alone. I go to Barnes And Nobles-alone. I go to Starbucks-alone. I go to the gym-alone. I have always been social and had a lot of friends but since I have moved here I have become homesick and sad.

I have looked into TYPros but it doesnt seem like something that suits me. I go to a Catholic church but Catholics dont really talk to eachother.
I'm still young and silly and not ready to take myself too seriously. At home (Boston), people are more like me and it is never hard to meet new people.

I dont know what to do Today is my day off, it's going to be in the 80's and I will be stuck at home.

I am 23 and I just moved to Tulsa in November... I am just like you. Used to be very social, and I LOVE going out and doing things. Was really excited to finally come to a town with a wide variety of things to do instead of just bowling and bars. Unfortunately, its kind of hard to go out and do those things by yourself. I have been going to churches and tried looking into volunteer activities (and the low point of my latest social life... spending time at WalMart and Target roaming the aisles. Just in case I may run into someone.) The worst part is, even if you do meet someone you think seems cool, you usually kinda freak them out when you immediately want to hang out after. The few people I do know in town are also married and/or have children. I know just how you feel. Come up with any good ideas yet?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,242,578 times
I've had success joining a gym and then going to the classes (spin, aerobics, yoga, swimming, triathlon, etc.) and meeting people that way. Tulsa has lots of gyms, including several YMCA's, Gold's Gym, Sky Fitness in south Tulsa and Midtown (opening this summer), and two great health clubs at St. Francis and St. John hospitals. There are also several boot camps and Crossfit gyms in different parts of town. You might try it out; not only can you make new friends but you can also stay in shape. Lots of these gyms have runs and bike rides down by the river.

I know there is even a group that goes rock climbing at Chandler Park. If you are interested in climbing you can check that out. There are 30-40 ft sheer cliffs in the park and near it along Avery Drive west of downtown.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,307 times
Quote:
So, I moved to Tulsa last June. I am a 25 year old hairstylist and I have no children. Typically, it is not hard to make friends in my field but all the girls who work at my salon have children and are too busy to hang out.

I go to the mall-alone. I go to Barnes And Nobles-alone. I go to Starbucks-alone. I go to the gym-alone. I have always been social and had a lot of friends but since I have moved here I have become homesick and sad.

I have looked into TYPros but it doesnt seem like something that suits me. I go to a Catholic church but Catholics dont really talk to eachother.
I'm still young and silly and not ready to take myself too seriously. At home (Boston), people are more like me and it is never hard to meet new people.

I dont know what to do Today is my day off, it's going to be in the 80's and I will be stuck at home.

>>>I understand your feelings, I have moved here from OH to tulsa (((9))) yrs ago and still do not have any friends. People here are lot diff from what I'm use to, not as friendly I would say or we just dont have the same interest at heart. I have been alone ALOT but I do have kids that are a bit older and can satify my loneliness from time to time..HA!. So Good luck...wishing you greatness...

Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,268,948 times
I am having the same problem in Oklahoma City. I've discovered okies are very friendly on the surface level, but it's really difficult to actually form deeper friendships here. I had no problem in North Carolina, but I did in Arkansas. I've been church hopping since I moved here in September and still have no friends, and church is pretty much the best way to meet people in Oklahoma. I am probably going to work a couple years at my job here to get experience and then move if things continue the way they have been the past six months.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
Default Living in Tulsa

I've lived in Tulsa for going on 13 years and really should've moved away about 11 years ago. The people at work are nice, but no one I'd have enough in common outside of work. My husband and I are late thirties now, and childless by choice, which makes us quite the rarity in Oklahoma! To say that we've had tremendous difficulty making friends here over the last decade would be putting it mildly!

This would be a decent place to raise a child, though, if that were your inclination. I would recommend that you might want to spring for a nice private school, then out-of-state college, if you want them to ever be able to hack it professionally in another area of the country. I graduated from two state schools here with two desirable majors and good GPA's, but am having difficulty getting noticed anywhere outside of Oklahoma when I apply for jobs. Don't get me started on trying to find a good job here--they don't really appreciate advanced degrees in this state.

See this for reference:
America
(scroll down for "America's Worst-Educated States"--Oklahoma is #10)

More on point, we did meet here. I was visiting an aunt and uncle in town for the weekend, and stopped in for sushi by myself one Sunday. My future husband walked in with a buddy, sat down close by, and started talking to me. The rest is history! But, we're not from here, so we're a little friendlier to strangers than most locals are.

What has made it difficult to make friends here is 1) in our age group, it seems like EVERYONE HAS KIDS, and 2) we don't. And, when we have made friends sans kids, they've gotten pregnant and dropped us like a hot potato (this has happened three times now). People with kids only hang out with other people who have kids--it must be in the handbook. Otherwise, we've been able to make friends out of state!

Oh, and we're not church goers. So, that may also have had something to do with our difficulties in making friends in this area.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,517,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf8 View Post
I've lived in Tulsa for going on 13 years and really should've moved away about 11 years ago. The people at work are nice, but no one I'd have enough in common outside of work. My husband and I are late thirties now, and childless by choice, which makes us quite the rarity in Oklahoma! To say that we've had tremendous difficulty making friends here over the last decade would be putting it mildly!

This would be a decent place to raise a child, though, if that were your inclination. I would recommend that you might want to spring for a nice private school, then out-of-state college, if you want them to ever be able to hack it professionally in another area of the country. I graduated from two state schools here with two desirable majors and good GPA's, but am having difficulty getting noticed anywhere outside of Oklahoma when I apply for jobs. Don't get me started on trying to find a good job here--they don't really appreciate advanced degrees in this state.

See this for reference:
America
(scroll down for "America's Worst-Educated States"--Oklahoma is #10)

More on point, we did meet here. I was visiting an aunt and uncle in town for the weekend, and stopped in for sushi by myself one Sunday. My future husband walked in with a buddy, sat down close by, and started talking to me. The rest is history! But, we're not from here, so we're a little friendlier to strangers than most locals are.

What has made it difficult to make friends here is 1) in our age group, it seems like EVERYONE HAS KIDS, and 2) we don't. And, when we have made friends sans kids, they've gotten pregnant and dropped us like a hot potato (this has happened three times now). People with kids only hang out with other people who have kids--it must be in the handbook. Otherwise, we've been able to make friends out of state!

Oh, and we're not church goers. So, that may also have had something to do with our difficulties in making friends in this area.
Bingo.

What are you and your husband's interests/hobbies?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,852,001 times
I think even in church a lot of people in Tulsa tend to have well-established groups of friends from college, people they grew up with, etc. I wouldn't say people are unfriendly to newcomers or anything like that, but it can be tough to form genuine friendships with people. I know I tried church for at least a couple of years and it didn't really help that much as far as getting to know people. It seemed like a lot of people hadn't really moved on from college or even high school, they still hung out with the same people from then and would still talk about their school days from years ago. I'm actually a little surprised that someone who attended the major universities in the state would have trouble making friends, it seemed like most of the people I met were still talking about their years at OU or OSU.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,268,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I think even in church a lot of people in Tulsa tend to have well-established groups of friends from college, people they grew up with, etc. I wouldn't say people are unfriendly to newcomers or anything like that, but it can be tough to form genuine friendships with people. I know I tried church for at least a couple of years and it didn't really help that much as far as getting to know people. It seemed like a lot of people hadn't really moved on from college or even high school, they still hung out with the same people from then and would still talk about their school days from years ago. I'm actually a little surprised that someone who attended the major universities in the state would have trouble making friends, it seemed like most of the people I met were still talking about their years at OU or OSU.
Yeah it really is sad how people get stuck in their high school or college years and never emotionally move on. You see that a lot more here than it is in more transient cities. It's easier to make friends in places that have people who have moved from all over as opposed to mostly people who grew up together, went to the same elementary, middle, high school, and then college together. It doesn't help if your an introvert because you have to consistently make the extra effort to make friends in a place like this and even then sometimes it fails. I lived in Charlotte from 2009-12 and that was probably the first place I lived that I ever had a real solid group of friends, and rarely did talk about high school or college come up. It's also one of the more transient cities.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
Question Hi did you find some friends eventually??

Quote:

I ..so like you now, I cry everyday for this(( how are you now? Find some friend?i am 25,moved here one year! Still tough, and you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa