Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,470,537 times

Advertisements

I dislike Marty for a reason I acknowledge is completely unfair: he looks, sounds and behaves much like one of my alcoholic brothers-in-law. Not the rednecked bigot one, but the self-satisfied self-centered one. Part of the slowness factor in the game is the old vs. young concept, which subtracted a key dynamic from the game. Part of it is that the older tribe's women don't really get much airtime and don't assert themselves too much, seeming to feel like they don't really have a chance and might in some cases not even make it to the end. Not that I'd want them to go all NaDonkey on anyone, but I don't see much confident play from them. Also, they seem to get along, which is creditworthy but not that interesting to watch.

Jimmy T. seems to have just found his blind spot: you don't demand to be a leader. You lead or do not. If people follow your lead, then you are a leader. But it's dumb of him to want to, because leaders tend to take the rap for screwups, a lesson he could have learned from Jimmy J. had he been capable of realizing what a tremendous opportunity he had. I'll tell you what. If you put me in a writing workshop with Stephen King, it doesn't matter that I don't happen to like his books. I'm not going to win a literary penis comparison with him and I shouldn't try. I should shut the hell up, watch, listen, learn and grow while I can. His vast proven success speaks for itself, and a fool would disdain it. Jimmy T. is just such a fool.

One thing: they should never have two people with the same name, even if one has to go by something else. I think the woman with the artificial leg has the same name as another woman, and not only can I not keep them straight yet name-wise, I can't even remember what the name is. Whereas Benry, who seems poised to go deep in the game, is easy to remember even though he mainly gets airtime when kicking butt in a challenge. I like Tyrone, Benry and the older female doctor whose name also doesn't ring a bell. I suspect that Tyrone's personal class and character will trip him up before the end, but if I could pick one player from that tribe whom I'd want on my side, he'd be the one.

The younger tribe screwed up (without benefit of the preview footage from next show) by letting the advantage medallion pass to the elders. It's the main way the elders have a chance to overcome their natural disadvantage, so the smart play is for the kids to just keep it so that their grandparents never get it.

I wouldn't say it's a dull season, but I can remember more interesting ones.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,538,136 times
Those saying this season is boring - what? It's only episode four, the season is typically ho-hum up until it gains some momentum. This one has at least created some early drama. We typically don't see that up front.

Guess we'll see how the tree shakes out next week. Are we done with Reward/Immunity challenges if the tribes get mixed up to the point where age is no longer the main focus? Not that I mind the extra camp edit - it's just that I like to see it deeper in the game. There are just too many people left yet.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I dislike Marty for a reason I acknowledge is completely unfair: he looks, sounds and behaves much like one of my alcoholic brothers-in-law. Not the rednecked bigot one, but the self-satisfied self-centered one. Part of the slowness factor in the game is the old vs. young concept, which subtracted a key dynamic from the game. Part of it is that the older tribe's women don't really get much airtime and don't assert themselves too much, seeming to feel like they don't really have a chance and might in some cases not even make it to the end. Not that I'd want them to go all NaDonkey on anyone, but I don't see much confident play from them. Also, they seem to get along, which is creditworthy but not that interesting to watch.

Jimmy T. seems to have just found his blind spot: you don't demand to be a leader. You lead or do not. If people follow your lead, then you are a leader. But it's dumb of him to want to, because leaders tend to take the rap for screwups, a lesson he could have learned from Jimmy J. had he been capable of realizing what a tremendous opportunity he had. I'll tell you what. If you put me in a writing workshop with Stephen King, it doesn't matter that I don't happen to like his books. I'm not going to win a literary penis comparison with him and I shouldn't try. I should shut the hell up, watch, listen, learn and grow while I can. His vast proven success speaks for itself, and a fool would disdain it. Jimmy T. is just such a fool.

One thing: they should never have two people with the same name, even if one has to go by something else. I think the woman with the artificial leg has the same name as another woman, and not only can I not keep them straight yet name-wise, I can't even remember what the name is. Whereas Benry, who seems poised to go deep in the game, is easy to remember even though he mainly gets airtime when kicking butt in a challenge. I like Tyrone, Benry and the older female doctor whose name also doesn't ring a bell. I suspect that Tyrone's personal class and character will trip him up before the end, but if I could pick one player from that tribe whom I'd want on my side, he'd be the one.

The younger tribe screwed up (without benefit of the preview footage from next show) by letting the advantage medallion pass to the elders. It's the main way the elders have a chance to overcome their natural disadvantage, so the smart play is for the kids to just keep it so that their grandparents never get it.

I wouldn't say it's a dull season, but I can remember more interesting ones.
Exactly! You can't whine that you want to be a leader! That is no way to have people follow you and look up to you. That is one thing that I have learned on Survivor is how people act interpersonally, what works and what doesn't. It is really hard to know how something is perceived by others.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Isn't her name Brenda - not Barb?
Wonder what will happen to the Power Medallion (currently held by the older tribe) with the team shake-up ...

Yes, her name is Brenda.

LOL, piglets are cute, Oinker is NOT. In fact her personality makes her downright UGLY.

I wouldn't say this season is boring. Different but not boring. Oinker has seen to that. Maybe it is but I hate Oinker so much that it obscures the boring.

I'd love to see Matt and Oinker on the same team.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,470,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Exactly! You can't whine that you want to be a leader! That is no way to have people follow you and look up to you. That is one thing that I have learned on Survivor is how people act interpersonally, what works and what doesn't. It is really hard to know how something is perceived by others.
I don't know why people interested in leadership go on the show knowing nothing about how to earn it. All my military training and conditioning made it quite clear to me that just because they put shiny stuff on your shoulders doesn't make you a leader. What makes you a leader is that people feel happiness and confidence under your direction, guidance and support. The best officer I knew was a thin little MBA from South Carolina whom I could probably have broken in half, but I knew that she cared about my future and would give me wise guidance. In battle (had it ever come to that), I'd have followed Major O to hell and strangled the devil with his own tail, because she would not have left without me. For that reason, I wouldn't have left without her either, even if that meant I was dead.

People should read Dune before going on this game. They should look carefully at the part where the Fremen pay Paul what is called that highest Fremen compliment: "Your plan worked, Muad'Dib."

Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,229,493 times
I have to agree that its been a snorer this season. Which is sort of upsetting because the perception will be its all because the because they cast those dam* 'old' people and as an 'old' person that makes me unhappy. Surely there are more interesting older players out there? I mean honestly - they vet everyone through a phlanx of psychologists and other casting teams - maybe they should all be fired! They don't seem to do a very good job half the time. The women are particularly disappointing. Really Survivor has had some sexist issues all along.

Good point about how did Dan pass the physical? If Jimmy Coach got turned down before because he couldn't pass - they apparently do have some sort of standard. What the he** happened?

Pre-merge I'm generally all about keeping the team strong so as not to go to tribal. Normally that would mean keeping Jimmy T no matter how irritating. But he didn't offer much during the challenge, didn't seem to know how to throw a fishnet and so hard to tell whether he was actually contributing.

I think the one guy that got Coach and Jimmy voted off - well I'm of two minds. One he seems to be thinking Game which is nice because no one else is, he's well spoken, seems smart enough etc. so I kind of like him. On the other hand he's got a lot of nerve talking about Jimmy T's (not that I don't agree with him) ego since his seems to be humongous and he seems to be voting off people by emotion rationalized with strategy.

I think that 24 hour challenge is a great idea! Wonder if there's somewhere you can send it? I thought they took ideas from the public.

Probst again slipped a little more down the slope of leading and altering votes at TC and I don't like it one bit.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,861 times
I really like Jill (had to look her name up), on the "old" team. But I don't really like the way she just goes along with whatever Marty says....that could bite her in the butt later on. Perhaps she is just trying to fly under the radar, and appease him because he does seem to want to be in charge. We will see....

Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Jimmy T might of been annoying but at least he tried to do work around camp. I think they should have voted Danny out he is of no use to them and I can't believe he passed the physical to get out there.

Afterall don't we all have to put up with irritating folks in our daily lives? I'd take a worker or a weakling any day.
Yeah, but some of us don't have to live with irritating folks 24/7. Plus they are living with strangers as well. I understand they choose to be on the show, but it's probably a lot different once you get there.

Jimmy T couldn't fish and didn't listen in the challenge, so where do you go from there? He clearly wasn't going to be a worker and contribute to the tribe.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:46 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have to agree that its been a snorer this season. Which is sort of upsetting because the perception will be its all because the because they cast those dam* 'old' people and as an 'old' person that makes me unhappy. Surely there are more interesting older players out there? I mean honestly - they vet everyone through a phlanx of psychologists and other casting teams - maybe they should all be fired! They don't seem to do a very good job half the time. The women are particularly disappointing. Really Survivor has had some sexist issues all along.

Good point about how did Dan pass the physical? If Jimmy Coach got turned down before because he couldn't pass - they apparently do have some sort of standard. What the he** happened?

Pre-merge I'm generally all about keeping the team strong so as not to go to tribal. Normally that would mean keeping Jimmy T no matter how irritating. But he didn't offer much during the challenge, didn't seem to know how to throw a fishnet and so hard to tell whether he was actually contributing.

I think the one guy that got Coach and Jimmy voted off - well I'm of two minds. One he seems to be thinking Game which is nice because no one else is, he's well spoken, seems smart enough etc. so I kind of like him. On the other hand he's got a lot of nerve talking about Jimmy T's (not that I don't agree with him) ego since his seems to be humongous and he seems to be voting off people by emotion rationalized with strategy.

I think that 24 hour challenge is a great idea! Wonder if there's somewhere you can send it? I thought they took ideas from the public.

Probst again slipped a little more down the slope of leading and altering votes at TC and I don't like it one bit.

I totally agree with you, Gies, about the casting. I wonder if the same people cast for BB? THEY sure don't do a good job. There are plenty of good looking older women out there. Why do they cast women who look older than their years with skin like leather?

Marty seems, on the outside, like a nice, personable man but he is a snake underneath. Jimmy J was out of pure jealousy. Jimmy T was becasue he could have been a threat physically. Dan is no threat in that department so he stays. Next he will target the stronger and smarter of the women and pick them off one by one with help from Jill. Jill better watch out, he'll be gunning for her soon. Oh yeah, they are scrambling the teams next week so that theory is out the window! I bet though, whichever team Marty is on, if he gains control, that's what his objective is....to get rid of the strongest first. IMO.

Jeff is taking himself a little too seriously I think. Sorry, Jax. I think he should step back and go back to being just the host of the show and not interfere with TC.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:44 AM

10,034 posts, read 9,517,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
This whole season for far has been a disappointment and one big yawn. There is no one I am rooting for and I'm so disappointed in the older tribe. I would have voted Jimmy T. off too, he was so annoying. And everytime they show that evil witch, Naonka, I want to throw something at my TV.Looks like next week things might pick up and be more interesting. I don't think they are merging, I think they are just going to mix up the teams.
What is with this idiots obsession with tearing off and destroying someones prosthetic leg. I mean she's mentioned it several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV