Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But the church had a huge crucifix near the altar. Every Southern Baptist I have ever known would have gone into apopletic fits at having a crucifix anywhere near the church. They don't even like them on necklaces. Are Southern Baptists in Georgia that different from the ones I grew up around? Or was this simply an example of non-Baptist writers seizing on a stereotype and not doing their homework?
I haven't seen the season 2 premier - they were cucifixes, not empty crosses? Baptists do have empty crosses on and in their churches but I'd agree with you that actual crucifixes with Christ on them would be highly irregular.

No comment from anyone on my question earlier about breaking the fourth wall with the brain splatter on the camera?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I haven't seen the season 2 premier - they were cucifixes, not empty crosses?
Yep. A full corpus cross. Blood and thorns and everything. Very, VERY un-Baptist in my experience.

Quote:
No comment from anyone on my question earlier about breaking the fourth wall with the brain splatter on the camera?
It's not all that unusual anymore in movies and TV. I see stuff hit the camera all the time --- water, fake blood, dirt, mud, and now brains. It's become such a staple that I often wonder if some directors have started doing it on purpose.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
And you mean to tell me with all those cars they couldn't each hop in one and start it up and head out?

All those cars were disabled?

exactly, I would have opted for a bigger, newer, more fuel efficient SUV than that clunker jeep. And really....a Hyundai? Product placement much?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I dont understand why they dont all just grab samurai swords from the local samurai dealer.

I know....it was like a "godsend" when the kid found the "serial killer's" tool belt..

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The origin of the concept of zombiism stems from Haitian Voodoo culture. The word zombie--in Haitian it is "zombi"--means "spirit of the dead." Voodoo folklore contends that Bokors, Voodoo priests that were concerned with the study and application of black magic, posessed the ability to ressurrect the deceased through the administration of coup padre--coup padre is a powder that is issued orally, the primary ingredient of which is tetrodoxin, the deadly substance of the notoriously poisonous fou-fou, or "porcupine fish." According to lengend, "a zombi(e) is someone who has annoyed his or her family and community to the degree that they can no longer stand to live with this person. They respond by hiring a Bokor..to turn them into a zombi(e)."

Once they had been issued the coup padre, the subjects being prepared for their descent into zombidom would appear to die insofar as their heart rate would slow to a near stop, their breathing patterns would be greatly subdued and their body temperature would significantly decrease. The public, thinking that the person was dead, would bury him/ her as if they were a corpse. They would then be exhumed, still alive, by the Bokor and, although their physicality remained intact, their memory would be erased and they would be transformed into mindless drones. "Though still living, they remain under the Bokor's power until the Bokor dies."

In 20th century American culture, the idea of zombies has traditionally been portrayed almost exclusively through the medium of film. The prototype for early zombie movies was White Zombie (1932), which took its subject matter directly from the zombie myths of Hatian folklore. White Zombie, one of the celibrated horror films of the "Universal era" (which also included important versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman and The Mummy) starred Bela Lugosi as a rich Haitian businessman who had taken upon himself to win the hand of a lady by turning her husband into a zombie. He had hoped that, by doing this, he would be able to rid her of her connection to her husband and thus clear the way for she and his romantic union.

Other zombie movies of the 30s and 40s followed suit insofar as they generally portrayed zombies as they existed in Haitian folklore: as beings whose brains had been zapped by some "master" who was then able to control their actions. Many of these pictures, such as The Voodoo Man (1944) and I Walked With a Zombie (1943) maintained that zombies were directly rooted, geographically and thematically, in Haitian myth. Other films, such as Revolt of the Zombies (1936) and Zombies on Broadway (1945) kept the theme but altered the geographic location. Also, while some of these films reinforced the idea that zombies were, in fact, the reanimated dead, some films portrayed zombies as being the products of a sort of malevolent hypnosis. In such films, the monsters were not "dead" at all, but merely humans who were reduced to a trance-like state and who were, again, controlled by a "master."

During the "Hammer Films era" of the 1950s and 1960s, zombies began to a adopt a more sinister air. Films such as I Eat Your Skin (1961) and The Plague of the Zombies (1965) offered zombies that were forced to maintain their posthumous existence by actually consuming human flesh. This version of the zombie was generally still "controlled" by a "master," but was awakened from its deathly state by some sort of supernatural or otherwise extraordinary force (satanic incantation, etc.). Here we see the invention of the "zombie-as-cannibal" type that was to characterize the genre for years to come. Virtually any given zombie from one of these movies was little more than "an utter cretin, a vampire with a lobotomy."

That's what was going through my mind^^^^^. I was visualizing someone who had been bitten by a vampire. They walked like a zombie.

So I guess we are probably never going to get an answer to "how/why"? That would make a good webisode.
Ever watch the movie "the Crazies?" it kinds makes a zombie outbreak a little more credible. In that movie, the people get infected after drinking water that has been contaminated with a militarized virus of some sorts.

they really aren't flesh eaters, but they do have a murderous instinct.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
Ever watch the movie "the Crazies?" it kinds makes a zombie outbreak a little more credible. In that movie, the people get infected after drinking water that has been contaminated with a militarized virus of some sorts.

they really aren't flesh eaters, but they do have a murderous instinct.

No, I haven't seen that movie but the name sounds a little familiar. I could understand that hypothesis without the flesheating being involved. I could even envision it to come true some day!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Someone else mentioned that all dead become zombies so that's what I was responding to. I do see what detshen and e_cuyler are curious about - why are there so many regular dead just hanging around in cars? I did notice that also and decided for myself (just to have some answer and move on) that it was a combo of suicides, car impacts, and stroke/heart attack/shock. By the time everyone is swarming out of there, many drivers/passengers could have been hospital patients who were being rescued or trying to escape but were very ill to begin with. With all those military vehicles around, I could imagine some electronic pulse or something like that that they tried to use to kill the zombies but also killed regular humans. Obviously, that's still not an official answer from the producers but it's good enough for me, for now - interested in hearing other ideas though.

BTW, Did you guys notice in the first season how they broke the fourth wall only one time - it was when the short haired woman was pick-axing her dead husband's (Ed) head. Some brain splatter flew against a camera lens and they left that shot in the episode. Considering how edited the rest of the series is, my guess is that they were aware of it and left it in intentionally - not that it was purely a gaffe. I'm less sure if they created it intentionally or if it was just an accident that they kept. Any thoughts?

I think the zombies don't come back from the dead because they are not infected. When the CDC doctor explained it, the virus causes the brain to die, but then the synapses are still firing. That tells me that the person has to be alive to contract the virus. A brain that has been dead and no electric activity wouldn't have anything to "spark" reanimation.

What we don't see in the dead people in the cars is bullet wounds to the heads. But what about body shots? There could also be the possibility of heat exhaustion (they are in the south) and as you mentioned a heart attack.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No, I haven't seen that movie but the name sounds a little familiar. I could understand that hypothesis without the flesheating being involved. I could even envision it to come true some day!

you should check it out. Its got Timothy Olyphant and Rhadha Mitchell.

Its pretty scary too not because of what could happen if there was a viral outbreak, but also to see what actions the government is willing to take to contain it.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's not all that unusual anymore in movies and TV. I see stuff hit the camera all the time --- water, fake blood, dirt, mud, and now brains. It's become such a staple that I often wonder if some directors have started doing it on purpose.
Yes, directors purposely break the fourth wall and it's not so unusual to see anymore - stuff hits the camera or characters speak directly to the camera. That was pretty much my point - usually it's obviously a pet device - in the entire first season, though, it only cropped up once and very briefly - no one else I watched with even noticed it. One offs like that usually mean it's an editing error - like a mic in scene or cameraman's reflection in glass. I was just interested to know if anyone else noticed it - and opinions as to if it was shot like that on purpose, left in on purpose after it happened accidentally, or just a filming and editing error.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
you should check it out. Its got Timothy Olyphant and Rhadha Mitchell.

Its pretty scary too not because of what could happen if there was a viral outbreak, but also to see what actions the government is willing to take to contain it.
When it is brought to my attention, I worry about bio hazards but tend not to think about them too much. I'm sure it would freak me out, what the government would do but I know they would do anything to contain it. I love Jesse Venture'a show.

Thanks for the tip, I will try and find The Crazies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV