Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,984,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Why not? Mothers/wives/corporate spouses dont "earn a living"? Hmm,dont think thats true.
But she's also a mom, housekeeper, etc.

There are women who marry for security and many marry men who marry for sex. Maybe not so many these days as there were in the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But she's also a mom, housekeeper, etc.

There are women who marry for security and many marry men who marry for sex. Maybe not so many these days as there were in the 60's.
Joan is one of the women of the 60's that married for security. She didn't marry her rapist doctor out of love. She married him because she thought as a doctor he would provide financial security and social status, for her and their children, and that that would be enough. He turned out to be a huge disappointment.

But the fact that she married him actually makes it more believable, to me, anyway, that she would strike this deal. Her security and more particularly, Kevin's, are big issues for her.

It was kind of in-your-face, though, when Don was negotiating with Peggy, that she said, "There is no figure," meaning Peggy's not for sale to the highest bidder, but Joan did put a price on herself.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,606,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
...It was kind of in-your-face, though, when Don was negotiating with Peggy, that she said, "There is no figure," meaning Peggy's not for sale to the highest bidder, but Joan did put a price on herself.
Good observation. I didn't connect those dots.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM

9,148 posts, read 14,780,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Someone get this idea to Matthew Weiner, stat!
This very talented lady, once with McCann, is a good role model.

DC as usual I enjoyed your analysis.

I can't remember where I read this,and it might be totally off the wall, but someone suggested the idea that Lane was propelling Joan into his position at the firm because he was headed for either just a major financial fall, or for suicide. I had thought that he had only been thinking of himself and his taxes/embezzlement, but perhaps not? Dunno.
I certainly thought Lane was motivated out of self interest. Needing to give Joan that kind of cash would expose his ruse and might not even be possible since he just went to the well. The 5% partnership was a way to defer or avoid altogether discovery of his malfeasance.

On the other hand, having Joan privy to more info as partner might come back to bite him anyway.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,045,254 times
Don and Peggy throughout the years.

The pilot, The Suitcase, and The Other Woman.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Don and Peggy throughout the years.

The pilot, The Suitcase, and The Other Woman.
I really love how Don and Peggy have an intimate relationship that's completely professional.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,984,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I really love how Don and Peggy have an intimate relationship that's completely professional.
I don't know about his throwing money at her. I somehow think that's not in character for him. Before then I would have agreed with you, probably.
She also seemed to make the decision to leave very quickly. Was there enough in that job to make her so dissatisfied?

Are we going to follow Peggy in another ad agency next season? I would like that, because it would open the door to a whole set of new characters and scenarios.

I don't remember seeing anything on tv that was not some stupid comedy that depicted a woman's struggle for a career, both back then and now.

There are series that show women in certain positions, but often they are young pretty model types and you wonder how they ever got to those positions. Or, sometimes they act in a very 'feminine'(vulnerable, emotional) manner and it's hard to believe that people would really respect them at leaders.

Peggy is one of - no, I think she's the ONLY one who I can think of who seems believable. I think a lot of us identify with her in some way.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
Joan already learned a hard lesson.

There was a plotline where Joan read scripts for Harry Crane. Harry used Joan's ideas without giving her credit which resulted in a promotion for him and the creation of the television department. With Roger's permission, Harry then hired a new male assistant and then dismissed Joan who went back to being czarina of the secretaries.

Joan's husband filed for divorce and served her with papers. Until Sept. 1967, the ONLY ground for divorce in New York State was adultery. It would have to be proven in court. I wonder if the writers realize this.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,045,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Joan already learned a hard lesson.

There was a plotline where Joan read scripts for Harry Crane. Harry used Joan's ideas without giving her credit which resulted in a promotion for him and the creation of the television department. With Roger's permission, Harry then hired a new male assistant and then dismissed Joan who went back to being czarina of the secretaries.
I remember this, and the expression (well-disguised disgust) on her face when she realized what was happening.

I also remember Joan telling Peggy on her first day, concerning where to live, that "if she was lucky" she would end up "in the country." Remember in Christmas Waltz when she said "the only sin she's committed is being familiar"?

Joan has had a bit of be-careful-what-you-wish-for in her life; I guess now she's just trying, as best she can, to find a safe haven.
Quote:
Joan's husband filed for divorce and served her with papers. Until Sept. 1967, the ONLY ground for divorce in New York State was adultery. It would have to be proven in court. I wonder if the writers realize this.
Well, he's filed, but it is not as if they are divorced yet. Maybe he's planning on perjuring himself? Who knows. Either way, I don't think paternity tests existed yet.
Anyway, it is my understanding that divorce law was changed in 1966 but as you say, did not go into effect until the following year.
History of Divorce in New York
In the show, they are in December 1966, right?

Quote:
She also seemed to make the decision to leave very quickly. Was there enough in that job to make her so dissatisfied?
Goldengrain I agree that Don throwing money at Peggy was awful, though he has said before that he has treated her as an extension of himself which can lead to dismissive behavior (throwing the money was downright rude and immature.) But Peggy considered leaving for a long time (Duck, in his increasingly drunken way, was wooing her.)
Peggy felt marginalized and wanted more responsibility and respect.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:02 AM

9,148 posts, read 14,780,770 times
Hopefully the writers know the divorce law. They did a couple of years back when they had Betty have to go somewhere else to get her divorce from Don. Maybe they forgot (or plan on killing him off before anything can actually happen, further trapping Joan in a crappy situation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV