Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I like Juliet, but I like a lot of women in rock music. I hated her hair, but loved the song.

I look forward to the confessionals. Very funny, and sometimes you learn something about a judge or contestant you didn't know.
I like the confessionals too - it gives the contestant an opportunity to make a connection with fans. I did not like Juliet's performance though. Her voice is very one dimensional (Nicholas' is too) and she gets boring rather quickly. Her face looked puffy and she seemed kind of medicated. Maybe it was her dark hair and bangs.
I think Trevin has the Voice but his lack of confidence and vulnerability is part of what made him appealing and having success made him a little too comfortable... it showed. We will see him again though.
I like Cassadee and Terry equally but felt he sung on a higher level than her in the duet. They are both easy to like. I guess I'd be happier if Terry won just because I like his little boy, wife and accent
Nicholas is great but how many 70's soul songs can we hear and not get bored. When he and Trevin sung that awful duet (really, it was horrible) I just couldn't picture him doing anything marketable.
I've been listening to Chris Mann today and I love the duet he sings with Christina - I usually don't like Christina because I don't like that type of music but as she can say best....her voice is AMAZING! I like her saucy personality though!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I've been listening to Chris Mann today and I love the duet he sings with Christina - I usually don't like Christina because I don't like that type of music but as she can say best....her voice is AMAZING! I like her saucy personality though!

That's the beauty of Christina, most people can find something they enjoy, if they try. She's done every style you can think of. She recently did a song called "Casa De Mi Padre" from the film of the same name starring Will Ferrell.

She did "Just a Fool" with Blake Shelton. I like how she adapted to a country sensibility without going overboard with it and attempting to sing with twang. LOL It was the perfect merging of her own style with another.

Even each individual album is versatile. Bionic from a couple years ago was known as her big electronica album, but there are a lot of nice ballads and things on there.

Same with Lotus, which she just released. There's that country duet, along with a few down tempo ones. "Blank Page" is a very nice song. Not a lot of riffs and runs on that one. Just very powerful and emotional.

And so on, and so forth.
Here are a few of my recommendations. Just to show how many different things she can do.

All Right Now (Paul Rodgers/Free cover, she was only 19 here... pretty much blows away any winner on The Voice)

Christina Aguilera "All Right Now" LIVE - YouTube

Casa De Mi Padre
(Spanish song from recent film of the same name.. pretty recent. 2011?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrGWMxmLhvg

Something's Got A Hold On Me
(A mash-up of Etta's version and the recorded version Christina did for the Burlesque Soundtrack)

Etta James ft. Christina Aguilera SOMETHING'S GOT A HOLD ON ME - YouTube

Steppin Out With My Baby (w/Tony Bennett)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GyQEsj-LtM

A Song For You (w/Herbie Hancock.... same song her Season 2 team member Jesse Campbell auditioned with)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUMPs-xH98

Somos Novios (w/Andrea Bocelli)

Andrea Bocelli & Christina Aguilera "Somos Novios" on stage - YouTube
(I will admit, she over riffs this one in certain spots, no question about it, but her tone is stunning, and she leaves no question what she's capable of. She's like 25 years old here though, come on. If she were to sit and listen to some Italian arias, I'm sure she'd get it down.)

Hillbilly Bone

Christina sings hillbilly bone - YouTube

aaaaand... this one just sums up why I'm a fan. First class vocalist and entertainer, period.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpoWluGB1d4

Last edited by MSPLove; 12-14-2012 at 02:51 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Somebody tell me again that NickD isn't the second coming of Arron Neville minus the physique.
Nah, Aaron had a high/slight falsetto register he could hit with ease that Nicholas can't even touch.

Nick reminds me more of Bill Withers. I'd like to hear him do "Use Me."

Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nah, Aaron had a high/slight falsetto register he could hit with ease that Nicholas can't even touch.

I agree. He is definitely more "Bill Withers." I have liked most of his performances on the Voice, but not sure if I would like a CD of original music from him.

By the way, I must agree with Minnesconnsinite that Christina is definitely great. She is one of a handful of singers that I truly consider cream of the crop due to both vocal chops AND versatility. There aren't many out there with that kind of talent. I personally enjoy her quieter and jazzy type songs to the screaming pop rock, but that is just my taste. She is awesome, though.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
I don't think Nick's voice sounds like Bill Withers' voice at all but I think he performs exceptionally well in that genre, and in Bill Withers style. I think it best fits him.

As far as Nick's voice/sound goes, I think it's much closer to Boz Scaggs. JMO

Boz Scaggs - Lowdown (album version) - YouTube

Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I don't think Nick's voice sounds like Bill Withers' voice at all but I think he performs exceptionally well in that genre, and in Bill Withers style. I think it best fits him.

Boz Scaggs - Lowdown (album version) - YouTube
Bingo, I had that thought too but it had escaped me. Boz Scaggs with a bit of Bill Withers thrown in.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. He is definitely more "Bill Withers." I have liked most of his performances on the Voice, but not sure if I would like a CD of original music from him.
Never said that his vocal range was the same or even on a par with Aaron's but I'll be damned if Nicholas didn't take a page our of Aaron's style of phrasing or runs especially in his higher register. Now when he's singing in the bottom he comes close to Bill's growl and just doen't have that deep Piedmont blues feel that Bill has.

So let's make Nick a hybrid and so we can part friends.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Voice cognescenti you think you have a handle on the technical side of divadom check out Diva Devotee.

Diva Devotee : A Blog About Music's Divas

Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 PM

[quote=scarlet_ohara;27342143]I don't think Nick's voice sounds like Bill Withers' voice at all but I think he performs exceptionally well in that genre, and in Bill Withers style. I think it best fits him.

Hmmmm... I'm not conceding... but........

You may have a point. MAY!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
That's exactly what I can't stand. She really overdoes that twang.
It's like she wants it to be known every second of the song how country she is.
As if those too fluffy skirts and boots weren't enough on her little short legs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV