Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of gay contestants on American Idol
I fully support gay contestants being on American Idol 28 66.67%
I have no opinion 10 23.81%
I am against gay contestants being on American Idol 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times

Advertisements

American Idol 2013 had a large number of gay contestants.

Previous seasons have had gay contestants as well, some who were the amongst the best singers of their season.

Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken immediately come to mind.

My personal feeling is that American Idol should be about talent ... and nothing else.

Anyone who can sing should be allowed to compete on the show.

There are now, and have been in the past, many famous gay and bi-sexual musicians.

Elton John, Freddy Mercury, George Michael, and Ricky Martin are a few that come to mind.

What is your opinion of gay contestants on American Idol?

This thread was created so the current conversation about gays in the American Idol 2013 thread can continue in it's own thread, without taking that thread off topic.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times
There are so many *******s in professional sports I can't even guess as to the number, but they are idolized by many. If I had to base Mariah's singing on either her personality or personal life, I doubt I'd ever listen again. Same with movie stars. IT'S SINGING. There are probably people you idolize that others think are despicable, really, it happens.

Maybe they could call the show Generic Singer/Entertainer. Frankly, I'd rather have kids look up to successful people that try hard to get somewhere rather than idolize those that judge everyone according to some bizarre guideline.

At any rate, I just wish they'd get serious on this show, regardless of whether they pick their noses or drive green cars. I HATE green cars, and electric blue cars as well. And If Mariah touches her hair again, I'm using white out on the TV set.

Never once did it occur to me to ask anyone what their choice of sexual partner is, I just don't. I try not to pick on religion, politics is fair game if asked to comment.

I don't feel anyone should get any extra points for being gay, and felt at least one of the contestants on the show this year was over the top style wise, but it didn't impact my rating of the performance. Same way I don;t pick on some wear my Christianity on the sleeve singer for their schtick. It's SINGING!

I knew Adam was gay from day one, but his voice was incredible, as were his interpretations of songs. Pretty much period.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Never watched the programme and have no interest in doing so but not sure why having Gay contestants would be an issue at all. Gay people should have equal rights be it in intellectual pursuits or braindead ( to me) entertainment.

My problem is more with the constant drivel served to us by television executives. This concerns me far more than the sexual orientation of people on those shows.

If you can do what the show is about ( in this case sing) then who cares ? Being Gay in the music industry is hardly a shocker anyway. It is a complete non issue for me. I just won't tune in personaly regardless of the contestants, and presenters being Gay,Straight , Black, White, or Orange with Purple Spots. It is supposed to be about talent and presumably personality.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,658,886 times
Poor Clay Aiken had to be pulled kicking and screaming from the closet...where Adam Lambert kicked the door down!!LOL! It should be based on talent and nothing else matters IMHO!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Damn, and here I thought this was 2013 not 1953!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,386,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Anyone who can sing should be allowed to compete on the show.
There are.

Who is trying to stop them?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
There are.

Who is trying to stop them?
Someone in the American Idol 2013 thread mentioned that gays shouldn't be "American Idols", and this thread was created in response to their comment.

I wanted to see how others felt on the subject, so I posted the poll.

For those who don't think gays should be American Idols, I am curious why you feel this way?

Elton John and Freddy Mercury are two of my favorite singers of all time, and what they do/did in their private lives is no business of mine. Their music is the only thing I care about.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times
I never ask people if they pick their nose, have rubber duckies, or which position their husbands or wives prefer.

I'm a little sensitive about letting anyone know I watch Idol, ever

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
I don't watch American Idol or any of the other "talent competition" shows. However, I could give less than a rat's booty if the contestants are gay, straight, bi-, or tri-.

If they have the talent to compete then they should compete. Their sexual preference has nothing to do with any of it.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Gee what an informative thread. So far we have identified 20 people with a brain, 8 who probably have issue deciding what toilet paper to buy and 3 born again Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV