Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with most of you. Though I got bored with it early, I do spot check it when commercials are on from another show I'm watching and I can't believe some of the uninteresting or mediocre people continuing. Tonight for example the little guy in the white suit screech singing should not have made any of the auditions much less be going to NYC. They should not let little kids on period. They aren't mature enough to handle criticism or rejection, plus I wouldn't pay good money to go see them perform in Vegas or anywhere else.
And I'm sick of hearing when asked "what does this mean to you", everyone says exaxctly the same thing "it means everything to me". Gawd you'd think it was the end of the world for them.
I don't think the overall talent is as good this year. Yes there are a couple of acts that were good but are they good enought to carry a hour show in Vegas. No. And I'm not going to pay to see any of these acts perform anywhere.
And i don't see Howard Stern doing anything to make the show better. Looks like Howie and him don't get along very well.
My take...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I think a problem is the audience has heard so many sad stories and the "this means my whole life" comments we have become tired of them. Let's just show the talent and forget the back stories.

I don't see one outstanding talent this year. And Howard saying how hard it is to be a judge and tell people they have to go home; boo hoo Howard. That's what you have to do. I miss Piers.

I don't want to see kids not be allowed to perform but maybe there should be an age restriction for the really young ones. Jackie Evanko was only 11 but you don't see that many mature 11 year olds or younger.

Maybe we will get to see some exceptional talent when they show the video auditioners.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I have to agree with most of you. Though I got bored with it early, I do spot check it when commercials are on from another show I'm watching and I can't believe some of the uninteresting or mediocre people continuing. Tonight for example the little guy in the white suit screech singing should not have made any of the auditions much less be going to NYC.
Oh I know! When they let him thru I couldn't believe they cut Andrew the goth opera singer, and let this guy who can't even carry half a tune thru!

Quote:
And i don't see Howard Stern doing anything to make the show better. Looks like Howie and him don't get along very well.
My take...
I haven't noticed anything glaring, but every time the camera catches Howie looking at Howard there's this weird look on his face. Can't quite pin down what it is but you know there's something going on there.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
It looked like Howie & Sharon liked the short guy in the white suit...

He shoulda been sent home.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I don't watch any longer. I lied Piers because he often told the truth when the entertainers were boring.
I thought Stern had some backbone, but it sounds like, from the comments here, that he doesn't want to turn the public against him. After all, all the judges have future careers and there is no sense in turning people against you be being truthful. So they are so 'kind' to everyone. Well, it's not really kind to encourage a bomb to continue in a profession that he has little talent for. They are only 'nice' to further/protect their own careers.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
They dumped the Goth guy just because he froze but that happens to all performers at one time or another. The rest of his performance was great.

They let the dancers dressed in the feathers go through even though one girl slipped. That was fine because aside from that, they were good. But why dump one act for a mistake and not another?

And that little guy in the white suit! PUL-EASE! My poor cat went racing out of the room when he started his high-pitched yowling.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They dumped the Goth guy just because he froze but that happens to all performers at one time or another. The rest of his performance was great.

They let the dancers dressed in the feathers go through even though one girl slipped. That was fine because aside from that, they were good. But why dump one act for a mistake and not another?

And that little guy in the white suit! PUL-EASE! My poor cat went racing out of the room when he started his high-pitched yowling.
Yep he sounded like fingernails on a blackboard, screeeeeeeeeeeeech

And the goth opera guy got screwed.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Yep he sounded like fingernails on a blackboard, screeeeeeeeeeeeech

And the goth opera guy got screwed.
I'm hoping this was a set up for some orchestrated drama when they decide to bring him back next week. He was too popular with the audience to be eliminated this early.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Am I the only one watching this anymore?
I watch it sporadically. Often mute the sound when the acts are weird or the judges start talking. I have to admit that Howard is growing on me. He is an intelligent guy and brings a little spunk to the show -- he throws out the ego stuff to get a reaction, and it's good for the other judges once in awhile. Although he's a PIA sometimes. I never realized how tall he was till I saw him next to the other judges.

Yeah - there are some weird acts.
I do like the painter team at the end. That was kind of cool.

I did like the dad and daughter act. That girl has an amazing voice.

agree on that little dude in the white jacket. WTH was that? Did they just need some comic relief?

On another note completely -- anyone else watching tonight -- does Nick seem a little off tonight? He looks like he's about to cry. Normally he's a lot more charismatic. Rough time with Maria maybe? Or is it that his suit is too shiny and he's mad that he had to wear it?

Talking dogs were funny. But not a million dollar act. Not quite Terry Fader level.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I hope he knows how to talk to the kid contestants. He can't say anything out of his mouth now that he is dealing with little ones. I hope the producers made that very clear to him.
Ummm, he has three daughters (now young adults) of his own... so I think he's pretty well-versed on how to speak to children.

And to the poster who said Howard "demeans" women, please explain how? I'm a woman, and have NEVER felt demeaned or belittled by him - not at all. I imagine you've never really listened to the show, and if you have, the whole joke went right over your head! Besides, any woman who appears knows what to expect, and nobody is forced to be on there. Plus if you were an actual listener, you'd know he is usually the one who defends those women (if the other staff members are being mean). He is also a strong defender of women's rights, i.e. the right to choose, birth control coverage, equality in pay/employment, and even GLBTQ rights. Sorry, but I feel more demeaned by the likes of Rush & Beck than I've ever felt from Stern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV