Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,163,634 times

Advertisements

I found it boring and not worth watching sorry I wont be back to it ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,293,019 times
My wife and I loved it.

The girl is obviously naive and annoying, though she is supposed to be.

I do agree however that the plot seems a bit rushed and there is too much info already. I would have liked to see more of a slow burn, but I can understand that it probably wouldn't have hooked as many viewers.

Also the "product placement" in forms of "Google", "Target" and "iPhone" are a bit jarring, but it's probably the only way a show with this high (or seemingly high budget) could get made. If it's not to blatant, I'll forgive it.

But yeah, we like it. I don't know if it's because it's the first show, that reminds me of LOST (especially with some of the same actors), or if we really like the premise, or if it's because of the world that they are in.

The acting is fine, the dialog is decent yet predictable and there are mini-twists throughout one episode.

I actually see this show as an extension of LOST. Instead of a plane crash we have a power outage and there are, I'm sure WAY more groups than this Militia and farmers, basically, other, OTHERS.

So I think there's more potential here in terms of plot, and I hope they don't get too myopic.

It being produced by Favreau and Abrams doesn't hurt either...well maybe the Abrams part.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM

39,922 posts, read 26,634,232 times
I'm still hoping for the best...want a decent new show to get into that's not just another cop or medical program. I hope it stays decent and plausable...and doesn't turn into another LOST. That was terrible, and I can see this going down that path.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,320,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
My wife and I loved it.

I do agree however that the plot seems a bit rushed and there is too much info already. I would have liked to see more of a slow burn, but I can understand that it probably wouldn't have hooked as many viewers.

Also the "product placement" in forms of "Google", "Target" and "iPhone" are a bit jarring, but it's probably the only way a show with this high (or seemingly high budget) could get made. If it's not to blatant, I'll forgive it.

But yeah, we like it. I don't know if it's because it's the first show, that reminds me of LOST (especially with some of the same actors), or if we really like the premise, or if it's because of the world that they are in.

The acting is fine, the dialog is decent yet predictable and there are mini-twists throughout one episode.

I actually see this show as an extension of LOST. Instead of a plane crash we have a power outage and there are, I'm sure WAY more groups than this Militia and farmers, basically, other, OTHERS.

So I think there's more potential here in terms of plot, and I hope they don't get too myopic.

It being produced by Favreau and Abrams doesn't hurt either...well maybe the Abrams part.
I just ordered the first three of the book series its based on, and they work in gradually, a year after, five years after , then ten. Some of the comments on the books have experssed the feeling that its dull. They want action, not details. A lot of others appreciate the details. Details work in a book, but in a tv show they tend to translate to dull.

And its a good point about the girl being naieve. So is her brother. She remembers more of the end, but only fragments of the world with power. She's adapted to her village. But the already developing theme is how she's losing that fast. And the way her brother seems to be watching all that's happening and taking it in. In a sense this IS a coming of age story. For her world sixteen would be.

You might find the books interesting. I'm looking forward to the first one arriving in my mailbox.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,296,066 times
Default Disappointed

I was expecting something more along the lines of William Forstchen's 'One Second After'. I think they crammed too much in the first episode. We are watching it now just to see how many mistakes we can spot. Hanging a illegally killed deer in front of the house? Reaaalllyyy. The garden plots are more cute than practical. As far as horses, 15 years later they should be overrun with horses as well as donkeys. Oh, well, it's not much worse than some of the others on TV.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,952,203 times
Spoiler alert: according to the Facebook site for recruiting extras (sorry, I failed to bookmark it), there will be a "rebel militia" featured soon. Of course, these "rebels' are those attempting to restore the United States and democracy!

Also, costuming evidently requires all women to be between size 0-2 and size 6. Wow. How out of touch with reality are these people?? (the costuming staff, not the cast!). There were also a few specific height-weight requirements, with ridiculous proportions such as 5'8-10", 110-120 pounds.

And we wonder why anorexia is on the rise with adolescent girls...

Old 09-29-2012, 05:34 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,894,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Spoiler alert: according to the Facebook site for recruiting extras (sorry, I failed to bookmark it), there will be a "rebel militia" featured soon. Of course, these "rebels' are those attempting to restore the United States and democracy!

Also, costuming evidently requires all women to be between size 0-2 and size 6. Wow. How out of touch with reality are these people?? (the costuming staff, not the cast!). There were also a few specific height-weight requirements, with ridiculous proportions such as 5'8-10", 110-120 pounds.

And we wonder why anorexia is on the rise with adolescent girls...
Actually if an event like a total loss of electricity did happen, fifteen years later most women would be wearing size 0 to 2 dresses. Maybe not 5'8" though. We would ALL be a few sizes smaller.

GL2

Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 AM

380 posts, read 377,514 times
Diesel engines run without electronics and can use alternative types of fuel. That in itself makes the series look stupid IMO. Probably will lose the ability to fly. Not sure if one can make a diesel engine airplane. Maybe the zeppelin will make a comeback.

So diesel cars, trains and ships. Possibly planes or blimps/zepplins. Oh and tractors can be run by diesel as well, so die off probably be shorted out in 1 to 2 years depending on how fast tractors can be converted.

No fragmentation of the country. Communications will slow down but a good semaphore line will solve that or air mail if flight can be attained again(not sure how things will be handled on air control). Even couriers with cars will do.

Probably looking at some kind of steampunk/dieselpunk world.

As for the series, fell asleep about the time the guy came for the man in the know. Will not be watching for the abject silliness of the show.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,894,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggan View Post
Diesel engines run without electronics and can use alternative types of fuel. That in itself makes the series look stupid IMO. Probably will lose the ability to fly. Not sure if one can make a diesel engine airplane. Maybe the zeppelin will make a comeback.

So diesel cars, trains and ships. Possibly planes or blimps/zepplins. Oh and tractors can be run by diesel as well, so die off probably be shorted out in 1 to 2 years depending on how fast tractors can be converted.

No fragmentation of the country. Communications will slow down but a good semaphore line will solve that or air mail if flight can be attained again(not sure how things will be handled on air control). Even couriers with cars will do.

Probably looking at some kind of steampunk/dieselpunk world.

As for the series, fell asleep about the time the guy came for the man in the know. Will not be watching for the abject silliness of the show.
You can watch THE WALKING DEAD instead.

GL2

Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM

708 posts, read 880,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
My wife and I loved it.

The girl isn't supposed to be so annoying as to cause people to stop watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV